PDA

View Full Version : reflections in invisible objects

andromeda_girl
04-05-2005, 05:12 PM
hey i need advice on how to set something up;

what i need is for a reflection to be visible on an object that is not rendered.

what i am doing is compositing a 3D character into a video scene, and the character's shadow has to appear on surfaces plus the reflection in a window.

i have rough geometry placed into the scene so the shadows fall properly, and windows in their places.
however--

i can get my shadows fine but not my reflection in my windows- any help is appreciated!
thanks.
~A.

Dodgy
04-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Surely just setting all the window surface values to 0 except reflection will give you only a reflection?

Also, you can save out reflections as a separate pass using the buffer saver (in the Image filter plugins)

andromeda_girl
04-05-2005, 08:08 PM
well my problem is that i get reflections but my windows are still rendering.
i need 'only' the reflection itself to render, not the window object it is reflected in.
:confused:
perhaps i wasn't clear first time around, sorry.
:o

andromeda_girl
04-05-2005, 10:21 PM
i did some searching about, thinking maybe the extended rpf or extended rla might give me just a reflection render (nope) but then i found 'render buffer view'.
this is supposed to let me see certain aspects of my render seperately, however it appears to only work when doing a render for preview, not an actual final render of a sequence of images- does anyone know if i can have just my reflection rendered all by its lonesome?????

~A.

SplineGod
04-05-2005, 11:23 PM
The render buffer preview is for that. You can also just render out the buffers you want in an image sequence using render buffer export. :)

andromeda_girl
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
yes, i just figured that out late last night, actually.
thanks!