PDA

View Full Version : F-Prime 1.5 released!!

mattclary
04-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Woooo hoooo!!!!! :D

retinajoy
04-05-2005, 04:09 AM
Scrumptious and smooth :cool:

Bytehawk
04-05-2005, 05:03 AM
sweet, dual processor support
it screams on my machine

3DBob
04-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Got it - and its speed rocks on my dualie!

Can't wait for the next update to LWs SDK so that Mr Steve W can impliment some of their other library "portions" into FPrime 2

Using it today as always.

3DBob

T-Light
04-05-2005, 07:54 AM
A little out of the blue. :cool:

WA-HEY :D

ColinCohen
04-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Very happy this morning. :)

ravantra
04-05-2005, 08:25 AM
How are you getting the new release....are they email notifying? or is there a download page......One more is this a free upgrade?.......I know a lot of questions.

gertje
04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
FPrime 1.5 for both Mac and PC can be found in your custom download directory. A link to this directory was included in your original email invoice!

It's a little hidden but this is from "the Worley" site.

Greetzzz

kml12
04-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Gotta love a free update...

policarpo
04-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Worley...we are not worthy. :D

Keep on Rocking!

ravantra
04-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Never mind found the download link in my registration email. Rendering right now.....VERY fast. Made my day!

Thanks gertje!

lede
04-05-2005, 10:14 AM
This is a great day!

The only thing I notice today on rendering is yeah way faster but during the start of my first few passes there is a hard edge on my objects. Anyone else getting this?

-Lee

ravantra
04-05-2005, 10:20 AM
No hard edges here...mine goes from blurry "blobs" to ever more sharper "blobs". It very quickly resolves to a recognizable image......

kml12
04-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Yep, I get the hard edges also...

lede
04-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Here is a render with F-Prime at 12 passes. Note the edge is really fuzzy and the AA looks crappy. Now if I let it run out to say 60 passes then it looks fine. :cool:

-Lee

mattclary
04-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Have you tried to contact Worley about it?

cresshead
04-05-2005, 01:28 PM
just dl'd it...hey if i want it on my mac will i need a new code for it?
as the mac gives out a different dongle id to the pc number?

..i'll try it out anyway!....

looking forward to even more hooks in the nr future [aug 2005!...siggraph!
...lightwave 8.5 or lw 9.0!

wacom
04-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Here is a render with F-Prime at 12 passes. Note the edge is really fuzzy and the AA looks crappy. Now if I let it run out to say 60 passes then it looks fine. :cool:

-Lee

Does it do it in the renderer too? I found that I have the same problem, but it gets cleared up quickly with the renderer. The light quality settings seem to effect it a bit too...

hrgiger
04-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Ah, this is excellent news. The speed boost is impressive.

Cyberfish_Fred
04-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Yep it is fast but you also need more passes to reach the same quality as with FPrime 1.

Maybe 1 old pass = 4 new passes?

:confused:

lede
04-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Does it do it in the renderer too? I found that I have the same problem, but it gets cleared up quickly with the renderer. The light quality settings seem to effect it a bit too...

Interesting thought, I'll have to look at that angle and see if that is the case. I do know that this was not a problem in the older version. To be honest with every one it really doesn't affect the flow for me since I can let stuff bake for ever or until all that junk clears up.

Also for further interest I did notice that when I turn on or off the soft filter in the camera setting this will effect the edge problem.

I've also run into another interesting problem with the preview window and wonder if anyone else has seen this. When I first open the preview window it doesn't draw what the cramera views. If I close the window move the camera a little then run the previewer it renders correctly. Before I contact Worley I would like to confirm some of these problems or mabies its just me and my weird computers :)

Over all I'm still happy I shelled out the original clams for this product and think its definatly speed up my workflow.

-Lee

ravantra
04-05-2005, 03:13 PM
lede,

I had the same problem with the fprime 1.02.....for a while. It has stopped doing and I have no idea why....What I use to do was just switch from one camera to another. Maybe I have a wierd computer too...

hrgiger
04-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Yep it is fast but you also need more passes to reach the same quality as with FPrime 1.

Maybe 1 old pass = 4 new passes?

:confused:

Doesn't look that way here.

Chuck
04-05-2005, 03:57 PM
We're certainly excited to see what Worley Labs has been able to accomplish with the SDK additions and changes that we've been providing in our LightWave [8] updates, including that he's now taken advantage of some of the 22 SDK enhancements in 8.2. As has already been said many times before, we'll most certainly be implementing the changes that he and other developers would like as we continue with our development of LightWave. Our programming staff continues to get direct feedback from Steve and the folks at Worley Labs as we work on his requests, so he's fully aware that we're working on these steadily and that each update will provide more available options and power to FPrime and other third party tools.

Congratulations to Worley Labs on releasing FPrime 1.5!!

-NG-
04-05-2005, 04:03 PM
We're certainly excited to see what Worley Labs has been able to accomplish with the SDK additions and changes that we've been providing in our LightWave [8] updates, including that he's now taken advantage of some of the 22 SDK enhancements in 8.2. As has already been said many times before, we'll most certainly be implementing the changes that he and other developers would like as we continue with our development of LightWave. Our programming staff continues to get direct feedback from Steve and the folks at Worley Labs as we work on his requests, so he's fully aware that we're working on these steadily and that each update will provide more available options and power to FPrime and other third party tools.

Congratulations to Worley Labs on releasing FPrime 1.5!!

That's the 3e post you copy and pasted. :D

I'm planning on getting F prime, i only hear good things about it and i can definatly need the almost instand feedback.

etyrihje
04-05-2005, 04:21 PM
I am working on a really intensive scene using a Apple G5 Dual 2Ghz, and the speed improvement on this particular scene is 6-8 times of the old Fprime, that is including Fprime now using both processors.

This is INTENSE!

Chuck
04-05-2005, 04:55 PM
That's the 3e post you copy and pasted. :D

Thanks for noticing! :)

Architook
04-05-2005, 07:03 PM
New FAQ on the Worley site today

http://www.worley.com/fprime_update.html

kml12
04-05-2005, 07:22 PM
I had some problems with the hard edges at first, then I completely removed the old Fprime plugin and loaded the new version, all is right now...

Go figure...

Axis3d
04-05-2005, 07:24 PM
I've also run into another interesting problem with the preview window and wonder if anyone else has seen this. When I first open the preview window it doesn't draw what the cramera views. If I close the window move the camera a little then run the previewer it renders correctly. :)

-Lee

I do not have any problems when the preview window is first opened. It renders exactly what the camera shows. Also, the anti-aliasing problem that you showed is not a problem on my system. It seems to smooth out by about 30 passes, which it goes through much faster than the previous version of FPrime. Awesome render speed improvements.

Architook
04-05-2005, 07:32 PM
We're between projects so I had a lot of time to play with the update, the speed increase is huge. huge. huge. Indoor radiosity shots are well over twice as fast as F prime 1.0, on a single CPU machine. And, best of all, the quality was better.

One outdoor shot was also over twice as fast, even though it has no radiosity. The scene has 44 exterior shadow lights. The Worley site says "hundreds of lights" so I got very interested in testing this scene, light counts are always a problem in architectural rendering, real structures can easily have hundreds of lights, like a glow coming from each window. Streetlight and facade lighting are important since they can use hundreds of fixturess. Signage is the worst, you cant fake all the fixtures, they have to be in the render to show it the way its really built and lit, and that many shadow lights are always slow.

To test F prime lights more, I took my outdoor scene and cloned 200 1% shadow lights (144 total) The F prime render was only about 25% slower. I don't know if it was because the lights were dim and scattered, but the overhead of extra lights looks really small. This is....... excellent. no words. just.. wow.

our dual Xeon box also shows multiple CPUs are awesome, F prime 1.5 was five times faster than 1.0. (no words, again..) It made me run the test three times to make sure it was working correctly and I had timed it correctly. After that test, we decided to order another dual Xeon this week.

I should do more tests tomorrow, hires 3K renders look promising, and I need to play more with interior radiosity too.

Too much typing, must eat a burger now.

Intuition
04-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Still no Hypervoxels or surface shaders. :(

Oh well, Faster is better :)

lede
04-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks all for putting up with my dumb questions. here is the dele-o-bob on what happened and I hope some finds this useful. My frame 0 is torqued in the scene i've been testing on so when I start rendering it starts at frame 0 and until I move the time line F-Prime just renders frame 0. The fix is don't torque the frame 0 on your scenes.

Now the frame problem does get better with passes so thats cool. I'll try removing the old plugin and re-installing it as new and see how that turns out.

-Lee

toby
04-05-2005, 08:54 PM
The fix is don't torque the frame 0 on your scenes.
whhuuuuhhh???