PDA

View Full Version : New FPrime!

Darth Mole
04-05-2005, 01:43 AM
For anyone wondering what Steve Worley's been up to for the last year, go and download the new v1.5 of FPrime. Multithreading, code tweaks, bug fixes etc. Boy is this one fast...

Nigel Baker
04-05-2005, 03:18 AM
FPrime rocks twice as much, these days, thanks to 1.5

etyrihje
04-05-2005, 10:49 AM
I canīt wait to put this one to use, finally getting both CPUs to work on my scene!

Johnny
04-05-2005, 03:35 PM
I can't find the 1.5 upgrade link...is it hidden?

J

parm
04-05-2005, 03:40 PM
The link is in the e-mail sent to you with your original invoice for F-prime.

Parm

etyrihje
04-05-2005, 04:12 PM
WOW!

I have updated to Fprime 1.5 on my G5 Dual 2Ghz.
I am working on a rather render intensive scene and my last render took 5 days to reach level 30 on Fprime, with the upgrade I got to level 7,5 in one hour!!

A few days ago I was thinking: "This scene is quite nice, what a pitty I will never be able to render it with a camera move...", with Fprime 1.5 that has changed!

Go get your upgrade!

(I am sounding like a commercial here... I dont get paid.)

Johnny
04-05-2005, 04:16 PM
The link is in the e-mail sent to you with your original invoice for F-prime.

Parm

so it is!
thank you!

J

Ge4-ce
04-05-2005, 04:43 PM
It is way way way faster..

Both processors are at full use!

At what speed is a dual athlon 2400+ running? is that 2.4 Ghz?

they did that test with radiosity_box.lws and got 1 min 16" out of that machine.

I have a dual 2.0 G5 and it took me 2 min 5" to complete.

if you do the test, don't forget to switch on radiosity in the Fprime masterplug. settings.. I did that first and it completed in 20 sec. I thought I had a supercomputer for a moment :(

Still, 2 min 5" is not bad, but still 60% slower than the athlon.

I did only a fast test, I had some apps open in the background and stuff.. but don't know how much it will make. Maybe will test it again soon.

kfinla
04-05-2005, 08:03 PM
WOW, this is crazy fast. Ecspecially since most mac users are runnin duals.. the jump in speed feels like the initial amazment of fprime 1.0 compared to the default LW renderer. good times

Lynx3d
04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
At what speed is a dual athlon 2400+ running? is that 2.4 Ghz?

No, they're running at 2.0GHz and have 256kb L2 Cache.
Shouldn't really be superior to a dual G5 with 2GHz in any way...but can perform pretty nicely nevertheless :)

-edit-
i don't have FPrime, but the Worley site says it FPrime performs better in render mode, so did you test it in render mode?

Ge4-ce
04-06-2005, 03:23 AM
No, they're running at 2.0GHz and have 256kb L2 Cache.
Shouldn't really be superior to a dual G5 with 2GHz in any way...but can perform pretty nicely nevertheless :)

-edit-
i don't have FPrime, but the Worley site says it FPrime performs better in render mode, so did you test it in render mode?

Yes, I did render it in render mode. I used the Fprime standard monte carlo radiosity, 1 bounce, 100% intensity. I choose render to level 5, just like the worley test.

This time I did switched off all other apps.

speed: 2' 2"

that's still a bit slower than the dual athlon. :(

But it is a huge improvement on FPrime 1.02

I'll mail worley to ask if he had some other settings active (wich may explain the difference)

3dworks
04-06-2005, 04:25 AM
Yes, I did render it in render mode. I used the Fprime standard monte carlo radiosity, 1 bounce, 100% intensity. I choose render to level 5, just like the worley test.

This time I did switched off all other apps.

speed: 2' 2"

that's still a bit slower than the dual athlon. :(

But it is a huge improvement on FPrime 1.02

I'll mail worley to ask if he had some other settings active (wich may explain the difference)

similiar result here: on a double G5, 1.8 ghz powermac the radiosity_box scene rendered in 2 min 5 sec! all default settings, fprime render mode set to montecarlo, 1 bounce, 5 passes.

now, if you do a simple math dividing 2.4/1.8 ghz and multiplying the result it's getting pretty close. compared to the same ghz rate, the mac uses only 7 seconds more time.

markus

Nigel Baker
04-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Hello Everyone,

Just had a crash while testing FPrime 1.5
I have 4GIGs of RAM and I got an out of RAM message while rendering. A 30x16cm 300dpi image.

Anyone else getting similar crash.
By the way apart from this one thing, FPrime still rocks.

Ge4-ce
04-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Also did another test: The new lighting quality setting in the Fprime master setup.

Standard, it's set to .5 wich gave 2' 2" rendertime

I've set it to .3 wich gave 1' 12" rendertime

I've set it to .1 wich gave 1' 2" rendertime

The difference is offcourse noticable, but the .3 gives still a very good render quality for about a 40% faster render!

Nigel Baker
04-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Hello there,

Can anyone please explain to mt if you have more than one computer on a network (MAC) if FPrime picks up the process power available, and helps to increase the Render.

Or do you have to do anything to tell it to use the extra nodes.

Thanks

Ge4-ce
04-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Hello there,

Can anyone please explain to mt if you have more than one computer on a network (MAC) if FPrime picks up the process power available, and helps to increase the Render.

Or do you have to do anything to tell it to use the extra nodes.

Thanks

According to the "what's new" at worley.com it seems to me that it does not support multiple rendernodes.

It does support multiprocessor, multicore processors and hypertreading on Pentiums. But not multiple nodes and stuff.

Scazzino
04-06-2005, 09:17 AM
FPrime is strictly a single node renderer (though it now supports multi-processor machines). It doesn't currently work as a network renderer... you need to use LWSN for that...

-MikeS

Nigel Baker
04-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone,

I didn't understand Hyperthreading.
Thought it might be similar to Apples - Logic Pro - which automatically finds free processors anywhere on a network. Without having to set up anything.
It uses its core Rendevous system to allow the machines to talk to each other and Logic Pro just threads them all together when it needs extra processing Power.

With no extra work to the user.

Thanks again.

Ge4-ce
04-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks everyone,

I didn't understand Hyperthreading.
Thought it might be similar to Apples - Logic Pro - which automatically finds free processors anywhere on a network. Without having to set up anything.
It uses its core Rendevous system to allow the machines to talk to each other and Logic Pro just threads them all together when it needs extra processing Power.

With no extra work to the user.

Thanks again.

No, that's distributing rendering via X-grid technology.. whish LW would use this technology. Multithreading means that one app can make different 'packages' of one assignment and give them to 2 processors in your computer. If an app is not multithreaded, the other processor in your computer is a waste of money. It's just asleep waiting for work.

Worley managed to make FPrime 1.5 multithreaded and all the dualCPU people now have about double the speed on their same computer. (the other CPU now DOES help to render)

cheers!

Ge4-ce

Architook
04-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Worley managed to make FPrime 1.5 multithreaded and all the dualCPU people now have about double the speed on their same computer.

Worley managed to double the speed for EVERYONE. But threading was added in addition, so dual CPU people now have about FOUR times the speed as before.

Johnny
04-06-2005, 03:37 PM
wow...it IS faster!

Had a question, tho...on worley's site, it says that 1.5 "now does a better job degraining," (Than version 1).

I am noticing actually a bit more grain and grit..wonder if anyone else is seeing this.

What I'm seeing sort of looks like what you get when you sprinkle salt into a wet area in a watercolor painting.

Thoughts?

J

ingo
04-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Hmm, actually its slower than before here. If you use a higher lighting quality to get the same result as with the old FPrime, rendering took longer than before. If you can live with the "Salt", its obviously faster.