PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Concept Vehicle

BaseZero
04-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey all!

One of the projects we've got going right now is a concept vehicle that will demonstrate multiple systems integrated in a single application with the focus on the OEM supplier's ability to appeal to the OEM manufacturer's need for multiple systems and the OEM supplier's ability to fulfill that need all from one source…

So, the following pictures illustrate the vehicle design chosen and it will star in its own 24 page full color brochure complete with wireframe, radiosity, ghosted views (to show internal components of the individual systems and plenty of gratuitious closeups to give life/excitement to the design of the overall brochure layout. Woohoo! Can't wait!!

Can give me feedback if you like, but probably won't change it much at this point since the client is picking up the tab on this one!

Hats off to Worley's "Hoser" plugin from the Taft collection enabling the hydraulic hoses to be implemented simply in this project, not to mention it will payoff tremedously when it comes time to animate it… got a feeling that this might head in that direction. Anyone have some ideas on animating very detailed undercarriage treads…? :eek:

…and yes, I do realize that the machine is levitating a bit on the drive mode picture… we'll take care of that right away!

Tiger
04-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Great vehiclemodel you made there James!

I would have picked a hdri-image for this scene
or a another lightsetup,
thus revealing more details of the model!
Now it`s a little to dark in some small areas.

..anyway-Nice render :)

riki
04-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Nice one, looks good, how about an animation test.

Kuzey
04-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Very cool.

:D

Kuzey

pauland
04-05-2005, 04:44 AM
Looks great.

Err.. how did you say the driver got into the cab?

Paul

BaseZero
04-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Looks great.

Err.. how did you say the driver got into the cab?

Paul Details, details… did I mention that this comes standard with a pair of rocket boots?

Here's a radiosity rendering of one of the views.

I am loathe to install a new version of Lightwave when in the middle of a project but am wondering if the new PLD anti-aliasing will speed things up significantly when rendering these print resolution radiosity renderings. Anyone got any info on that?

Let me know.

BaseZero
04-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Nice one, looks good, how about an animation test.
Got any input as it relates to animating track treads?

Let me know if you do as that is the only thing that would hold up animation at this point. All else would be elementary…

johnnyh66
04-06-2005, 10:51 AM
BaseZero, I just went to your homepage... Area Code 847, are in the Chicago Burbs? you should come to our Chicago LW user group meetings.

BaseZero
04-06-2005, 11:06 AM
BaseZero, I just went to your homepage... Area Code 847, are in the Chicago Burbs? you should come to our Chicago LW user group meetings.

Yep, that's where we is… give me the details, I've been talking about getting out and into some local groups of all kinds lately, timing couldn't be better… my schedule is a little tricky, but we'll work something out.

johnnyh66
04-06-2005, 12:20 PM
We just got the site up a couple of weeks ago, the April meeting date has not yet been set but it looks like it will be on a Wed.
How long have you been in 3D/LW?

www.clwug.com

JML
04-06-2005, 12:42 PM
looks great,

here is one i used
(tank thread tutorial)

http://www.cgfocus.com/ArticleDetails.cfm?ArticleID=118

don't forget to check this site too :

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/

hdesbois
04-07-2005, 08:26 AM
link to tread tut is great.
This script :
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=34373
may help as well, as it is more easy to use than with expressions. Works forward, backward, and in any direction
HD

mattclary
04-08-2005, 06:36 AM
I am loathe to install a new version of Lightwave when in the middle of a project but am wondering if the new PLD anti-aliasing will speed things up significantly when rendering these print resolution radiosity renderings.

Any reason you aren't using F-Prime? Seems like it would be great for this project, as no special shaders are required.

BaseZero
04-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Any reason you aren't using F-Prime? Seems like it would be great for this project, as no special shaders are required.

Hmm… now you have me curious… I am in fact using FPrime but am doing my renders with RenderFarm Commander and 5 machines on a renderfarm… Is there a way to "use" FPrime that I'm not aware of? :o

And by the way, updated to LW 8.2.1 and OSX 10.3.8 and am having no apparent problems. PLD rocks!

mattclary
04-08-2005, 08:46 AM
No, I don't think you can use F-Prime on a farm, but you might try it out anyway. See if it might still be faster, especially if you have any dual CPU machines available. 1.5 supposedly kicks more @ss than ever.

Lukesutherland
04-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Fantastic model!

BaseZero
04-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Fantastic model!

Thanks for the compliment Luke!

Hey Matt… got the Fprime 1.5 today and actually took a couple of minutes to read the manual. Didn't realize the plugin was so capable! Nice thing about Fprime is it now handles deformation without loading it onto each object… Those hydraulic hoses took a while to setup.

I thought Fprime was fast before, it's unbelievable now after the update…! :D

mattclary
04-09-2005, 01:12 PM
I can't wait til I actually have time to use LW again. Currently have a hole were my master bath should be. :(

JML
04-09-2005, 03:21 PM
hurricane damage?

mattclary
04-09-2005, 06:12 PM
No, I wish ot was that simple. :) I bought a fixer upper. The leak that cost me $3.50 to fix caused enough damage to require the entire floor to be ripped out due to wood rot.