PDA

View Full Version : What to choose???

-NG-
04-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Well my birthday is coming up, so i can pick something out.

I'm thinking of a wacom Intuos 3 A4, to replace my small graphire. Or Fprime.

So any suggestions to clear my mind. :)

Signal to Noise
04-04-2005, 12:10 PM
How often do use your tablet? Especially with LW?

You've already got a tablet so my suggestion is go with FPrime since the productivity gain you'll get from it's real-time renderer is so worth it.

And then get the Intuous 4 next b-day or xmas ;)

Tiger
04-04-2005, 12:20 PM
I have F-Prime and it`s really handy! If you change a texture or move a light around, you see the changes directly with F-Prime. Scenes with radiosity will also render alot faster than F9. Go for F-Prime, you will love it :)

ravantra
04-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Fprime is a huge time saver......but I would go insane without my Wacom....I have not used a mouse in 8 years. The new Intuos 3 works great you can zoom and pan in one motion and pick with great accuracy.....tough call!

-NG-
04-04-2005, 01:19 PM
How often do use your tablet? Especially with LW?

You've already got a tablet so my suggestion is go with FPrime since the productivity gain you'll get from it's real-time renderer is so worth it.

And then get the Intuous 4 next b-day or xmas ;)

I use it quite often but more with with painter and photoshop, that's basiclly the reason to go for the wacom, and the grapphire is a small one. Although for texturing purposes i could REALLY use Fprime.

Very tough call indeed.

NanoGator
04-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Unless you're doing texturing (even then, you'd best be painting), go with FPrime.

mattclary
04-04-2005, 01:43 PM
F-Prime!!!!

Tim Parsons
04-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Id say FPrime. The first time you use it, youll laugh out loud.

Tim

cathuria
04-05-2005, 07:54 AM
I have a huge Intuos2 and a tiny Graphire3 -- I use the Graphire constantly, the big tablet is in a pillowcase on the bookshelf... in case I ever need it...

The features on the new Intuos3 are nice, I'm sure... but getting FPrime will be like leaping to LW 10.

Celshader
04-05-2005, 08:28 AM
It depends on what you do, and what you need most. If you do a lot of painting/Photoshop, the graphic tablet might be better. If your hand's killing you, forget FPrime and get the graphic tablet with the more comfortable pen. If your hand's fine and you spend most of your time in LightWave, get FPrime.

---

My right arm bugs me, but not too much. I have FPrime and a 4x5 Intuos2 at home. I love the comfort of the Intuos2 pen over my older ArtZ II tablet's pen, and I'm sure using any tablet helps keep my repetitive stress injuries at bay.

That said, if I was working at a studio and offered a choice between a tablet upgrade or FPrime, FPrime would win hands-down. Non-celshaded lighting and surfacing is soooooo much easier and faster when I can see the results almost immediately. Even celshading gets more predictable when I can see where all the shadows fall in FPrime.

---

So, again, if you use LightWave a lot, consider purchasing FPrime. If you don't use LightWave much at all and do a lot of Photoshop/digital paint, or if your hand/arm aches, a comfortable Wacom tablet might suit your immediate needs better.

If either option sounds good, flip a coin. :D

-NG-
04-05-2005, 10:31 AM
It depends on what you do, and what you need most. If you do a lot of painting/Photoshop, the graphic tablet might be better. If your hand's killing you, forget FPrime and get the graphic tablet with the more comfortable pen. If your hand's fine and you spend most of your time in LightWave, get FPrime.

---

My right arm bugs me, but not too much. I have FPrime and a 4x5 Intuos2 at home. I love the comfort of the Intuos2 pen over my older ArtZ II tablet's pen, and I'm sure using any tablet helps keep my repetitive stress injuries at bay.

That said, if I was working at a studio and offered a choice between a tablet upgrade or FPrime, FPrime would win hands-down. Non-celshaded lighting and surfacing is soooooo much easier and faster when I can see the results almost immediately. Even celshading gets more predictable when I can see where all the shadows fall in FPrime.

---

So, again, if you use LightWave a lot, consider purchasing FPrime. If you don't use LightWave much at all and do a lot of Photoshop/digital paint, or if your hand/arm aches, a comfortable Wacom tablet might suit your immediate needs better.

If either option sounds good, flip a coin. :D

Ahh hell! I'l just work on the weekend so i can get both, i just can't choose. Have to explain it to my girlfriend only that i won't see her whole weekend. :D

-NG-
04-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Got Fprime today! My new wacom has to wait for a moment, i made up my mind and gone for fprime checking out the features now and they already rock!. I still have my grapphire so that will do for the moment. :)

I just couldn't work this weekend otherwise i have a nagging girlfriend the whole week. :P

riki
04-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Wacoms are good but the Intuos 3 takes up too much desk space near your keyboard. Just a bit awkward to work with.

parm
04-08-2005, 02:34 PM
For precision of pulling points around and tweaking in modeler, combined with the ability completely configure the buttons and pen of the Intuos 3, make the Wacom the Modeler input of choice. Get the A4, the control of point placement beats any mouse I have, work all day, no problem.

If you spend more time in Layout adjusting lighting and some textures then maybe F prime is for you.

My advice get the tablet, its a joy to use. F-prime 2 or 2.5 next birthday when it can see everything in Lightwave.

Happy birthday

Parm

parm
04-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Sorry! I see I'm too late. Never mind, you'll definately get a lot of fun out of F-prime.

Parm

wacom
04-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Well it's funny. I have a little wacom and I love it for texturing. But for some texturing Fprime has actully replaced my tablet! How? Well you start to take advantage of gradients and procedurals way more which you can then just bake out to a UV map if need be. Some people like to call it Viper on Sterioids, but that just doesn't do it justice.

Let me ask you this too: how new are you to 3D and/or LW? I found it makes learing lighting and texturing 10X easier.

I've also read from many people that there isn't a huge leap from the Intuos 2 to the 3rd version. It depends on how you work though. You can save a lot of cash and get a fairly large Intuos 2 on ebay. Just a thought.

tingham
04-09-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm personally saving all my pennies up for a 20" Cintiq... FPrime is a sound purchase decision for anyone using lightwave.