PDA

View Full Version : crash?

sentell01
04-03-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm working on a new dual 2 gh G5 with 2 gig of ram and LW 8.2.1. I haven't had too many problems with it (at least not the kind I read about here) but I keep getting "the application has quit unexpectedly" error message after I choose to quit Layout - it shuts down then the message pops up. Other than that no problems. Should I not worry about it? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance for any help/info.

toby
04-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Delete your preference files. This will reset the layout to default, so if you've changed keyboard shortcuts or menu layout, save out those config files first.

parm
04-04-2005, 01:20 AM
Yes, that has been happening to me as well. It only goes away temporarily for me after deleting prefs.

Any work done saves alright, but configuration changes, are not saved when the unexpectedly quit dialoge appears. Which is a bit annoying.

Parm

toby
04-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Be sure and throw away the Hub preferences too. Are you guys using the Hub? I recommend that you don't, unless you really need it. Turn it off by moving the Hub application out of the Programs folder.

robpauza
04-06-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm getting the same errors too, everytime I close Layout or Modeler. (Dual 2.5 G5 / 4GB Ram)

Lightwave arrived yesterday at work. I just installed it and then the updates to 8.2.1 today and was getting a little bummed out because of the constant errors. I jumped on here immediately when I got home to see if anyone else was having the same problem.

I'll definately try the suggestions to delete my prefs, but toby also suggests disabling the hub. What will I miss out on by disabling the hub? (other than having changes in Modeler update in Layout on the fly)

Thanks for the help thus far. This is truely a great community.

-Rob

robpauza
04-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Well.... Tossing the prefs didn't help in my case, but disabling the hub did. Now it's working like it's supposed to. :) Thanks Toby.

-Rob

toby
04-07-2005, 06:31 PM
The hub adds a little instability to LW, nobody uses it where I work, and we're all pc - I've been working without it for years now. It's annoying to tweak uv maps or weight maps without it, but if I'm not doing character work I prefer to have it off.

Among other benefits, running without the hub allows you to run multiple copies of Lightwave.

robpauza
04-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks again Toby. I really appreciate the info.

-Rob