PDA

View Full Version : Lightsabers in Lightwave

TMK123
04-02-2005, 07:53 PM
I read a tutorial covering lightsabers in 6.5 stating:

LightWave Lightsabers with a little help from Adobe After Effects!

I get this one all the time, and it's been something I've worked on for over a year with little success until now. The important thing to note is this: As of this time, it is NOT possible to do realistic lightsabers entirely within LightWave. Here's why:

LightWave does include a lovely Glow feature for the surfaces. The problem comes from the fact that LW uses the object's base color as the glow color. As of LW 6.5, there is no way to change the color of the glow without changing the color of the surface. A lightsaber's core is, for the most part, white (with some small variation depending on the blade color). Therefore, LW will make the blade glow white.

Now, i just ordered lightwave 8.2 and i am waiting for it to arrive, has this changed? can it be done sole in lightwave? i have seen some incredible stuff with lightwave i would be totally shocked if it cant be done.

Thanks for your time

Alex

Mr_Bester
04-02-2005, 08:55 PM
It should be pretty easy to use incedence angle gradients on the transparency, luminosity and color channels to achieve it.
Dug

TMK123
04-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Hmmm, you lost me.

Sorry pretty new to 3d and i havent got lightwave yet.

Silkrooster
04-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Now you lost me, how do you know something is impossible if you don't own the software yet?
Silk

TMK123
04-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Dont mean to sound rude but did you even read my post?

I read a tutorial on lightwave 6.5 and well you can scroll up and read that, it gives the reason why it cant be done in lightwave 6.5 i wanted to know if that was fixed for 8.2 :-D

Thanks for the replies.

Whelkn
04-02-2005, 11:52 PM
hmmm---Seems that it would be alot easier doing that sort of effect in a compsositing program anyway. I have seen countless Tuts for affter effects on that subject.

evenflcw
04-03-2005, 12:01 AM
I remember this tutorial. And whether you use glow or Corona (a pixel filter to do more elaborate glows that was probably available even back then) you will not be able to achieve the same level of results as using the likes of After Effects. Why? Because LW is for 3d animation not postproduction. Doing it in post is easier, faster and often yields much better results.

But just for the record, with Corona you can put any color you want to the glow irrespective of the object color (just use special buffer to assign what surfaces will recieve the effect).

EDIT: This tutorial also showed some type of lagging effect, no? Was this done in LW or AE? Got a link?

TMK123
04-03-2005, 12:12 AM
Sure do, but what after effects program and would that work for animations or just still shots(im really sorry im just really new lol)

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/lightwave/lightsabers/

is the link.

Alex

Mr_Bester
04-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Basically, you could use a gradient to define how transparent, what color, how luminous and object is based on it's angle to the camera. So for color you'd have a pretty basic white-bright red-bright red w/ alpha(transparency in color) then in the transparency channel you'd have white-less white-drop to gray-black to have the center be opaque then abrubtly going transparent near where the color shifts from white to red.

I just did this quick test in about 3 minutes, it is infinitely tweakable to get what you want, but I would say it's faster to do in post. All I did was use gradients and then added the corona to the special buffer 1 as evenflcw suggested.

Dug

http://home.swbell.net/brandel/sabretest.jpg

TMK123
04-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Hmm pretty cool stuff, thanks.