PDA

View Full Version : Building a 12 component cable

Keith Gandy
02-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Not a techie by any stretch, so I need to have things explained somewhat simplified. Our church uses the BVW series to load Betacam source into the toaster. We want to use the component cables, but need to build the cable from a 12 pin dub cable.

A pin listing is available, but which pin wires are soldered to the rca connectors? Is the X the middle pin on the rca, or is the G the middle pin?

Anyone have a tip for me?

scott w. keller
02-15-2003, 09:21 AM
G=ground (-) or the outer connector.
x=the + or positive and is the center.
Please note that if you are using an earlier post from me there was some question that X & G of one could be reversed, because the manual showed two different listings. So it would be a good idea to scope those out. I would suggest going from dub connector straight to a DB 15 plug (the same as on the toaster cables) the pin outs of it can easily be determined with a continuity tester using the orig. toaster cable. I will be doing this myself when I get some time.

Remember this stuff all runs on smoke and if it gets out you are in trouble.

Keith Gandy
02-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Thanks a million. I will scope out those posts before soldering. Yes, plans were to go bnc rather than the rca - wasn't thinking clearly when I posted the first time.

scott w. keller
02-18-2003, 06:47 AM
Keith,

I think you misunderstood me. The DB15 is the other end of the toaster cable. The one that actually plugs into the toaster card. Long ago I learned to eliminate as many connectors as possible in a video chain. When I build my dub cable I will go from dub connector out of BetaSp directly to the toaster via a new DB 15 connector. If you don't have a good source I would suggest Dig-Key. They have just about anything a guy could need at good prices and great service.

Keith Gandy
02-18-2003, 07:48 AM
Interesting approach. Since I use the SX8 it would be a lot of hassle for me to dig into the server and unattach the cables to attach the dub cables. I think that I will stick with the BNC approach - but might reconsider the other option. Great tip to consider.:D

vanguard
03-12-2003, 08:29 AM
So your plan is to go from the BNC component outputs/inputs on the Betacam deck to a DB15 to go directly into the toaster....

To eliminate 2 connections? (one end of a B-B, and one end of a DB15... and the TED)

At NTSC frequencies, the loss induced by two (quality) connections in the signal path would be unmeasureable without lab-grade test equipment!

Cable length losses/phase shifts would be more noticable.

I think you are working too hard.

What do you relaese product on?

VHS... DVD...

Both of these formats have far less (effective) resolution than Betacam (even composite!).

So why bother?

Just curious really... I have never experienced any type of loss at NTSC frequencies from connectors in 18 years of being an engineer.

Keith Gandy
03-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Jerry, if you mean me, no, I plan to adapt a dub input/output cable to a component cable. Our earlier model Betacam does not have component BNC input/outputs. We can get them from the dub connectors - meaning that the cable will have a 12 pin connector at the VTR, but then go to bnc connectors for the component side.

I have no interest in the fifteen pin approach at present.

vanguard
03-12-2003, 08:58 AM
OK, I have made the cable you describe!

To go between Beta decks and MII decks!

Color me NTSC!

Because the cable diameters in the dub cable are wee, try to get like the teensy Canare BNCs...

Pasternak Enterprises used to make the elusive 12pin fan cable... $$$$$$$ though...

Keith Gandy
03-12-2003, 09:23 AM
So it will work! We won't be doing the NTSC (never the same color) but the PAL deal. We wanted a little better quality when putting the toaster output to tape - therefore the component.

vanguard
03-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Yes it will work!

Be sure to keep your "fan" ends (reasonably) short.

Depending on who made the dub cable, the primary shielding is on the outside of the bundle.

the shielding in the small cables is adequate (just).

I spelled Canaire wrong in my last post.

They make a smaller than normal cable BNC.

Also Switchcraft makes a samller than normal (normal being RG-58/59/8) screw-on BNC.

I have used both, and if you intend to move it around alot get the crimp-on Canaires, for set-it-and-forget-it the screw-ons work fine.