PDA

View Full Version : Howto animate this (dynamics, morph bones, plugins) ???

cg-freak
04-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi guys & girls,

Is there anyone who can help me out with this one. I have to animate this before monday :eek: , so I hope someone can help me out here.

I'll attach a schematic of a part of the situation to make it clear to you.

It would be nice to do it all with LW dynamics, but sofar no luck, takes to much time to calculate and the cables go flat and wobbely. Also the cargo still has to be handanimated to get it down.

Tried something with morphing the cables, but the morphs don't follow the path they should (don't know how to make that clear to you)

Haven't tried bones or weight maps yet cause I'm no good at that either :rolleyes:

Hope you know a good way to get this done, if you'd like I can send you the object file of it to experiment with.

Thanx in advance & grtzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

CG-FREAK :D

MonroePoteet
04-01-2005, 06:21 PM
I'd model a piece of straight cable separately from the cable around the pulleys, then shrink the straight piece along it's long axis and modify its angles to match the pulley positions as the anchors/cargo change positions. The seam between the straight pieces and the wrapped pieces would be ugly, but it'd work unless the Camera got really close to the pulleys.

mTp

cg-freak
04-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanxalot Monroe, pretty clever and k.i.s. thinking, but in this case the camera will be right on top of it, so not an option :(

Have a nice weekend and see ya...

Grtzzz.........

CG-FREAK

prospector
04-02-2005, 01:48 AM
don't make cable in pieces
make full cable, then do a knife cut just on each end of the pullys, then give that section a weight, put 1 bone and either shrink or lenthen as needed, and you can also rotate to match pully angles, in modeler put the pivot on each pully and rotate them in layout.
making sure the pullys are in seperate layers from pistons so they rotate and not whole unit and make the pistons the parents.
Also watch the direction of bone so that when you shrink it , it pulls the cable in correct direction or it will look strange in camera.

cg-freak
04-02-2005, 03:03 AM
Hi there guy & girls,

Thank you very much for your responses, I learned alot from them. This (http://members.chello.nl/~g.dekker4/public/test.mov) is what I've come up with sofar. I think the tip from prospector made it clear to me to get it done in this way.

I still hope someone comes up with a good solution to do it all by using Dynamics, to get it more realistic.

Thanx again you all.

Grtzzzzzz....

CG-FREAK