PDA

View Full Version : Bones or Skelegons(again)

monfoodoo
04-01-2005, 12:54 AM
I've just purchased Jonny Gorden's book "Cartoon Character Creation""Rigging & Animation".it seems really good.since i've never boned in layout,it;s quite different.
New to animation(and not really knowing much about it),i've used skelegons and struggled along with any tutorial i could find. My question is(and probaly a tired one),which method is more practical?or more problematic? scott

SplineGod
04-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Ive used the bone tools since before they were officially part of LW. Once I could perform the same functions as skelegons but in layout Ive stuck with it.
Unless you have specific reasons to use skelegons I would rig in layout. Its easier to tweak the bones into the right positions and test deformations right away. You also dont have many of the issues that you have watch out for when using skelegons. :)

Yog
04-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Unless you have specific reasons to use skelegons I would rig in layout. Its easier to tweak the bones into the right positions and test deformations right away.
Of course this way you lose the ability to use Vertex Paint and the new JointMorph creator in Modeler.

SplineGod
04-01-2005, 01:47 AM
If I create weight maps I tend to use FIs weight blur plugin (free) rather then vertex paint. I find that rigging in layout, resting the bones and testing deformations and then using additional hold bones tends to eliminate the need for weight maps or greatly simply them.

Theres a free plugin called load bones that will allow the bones to be loaded into modeler as skelegons if needed.

peter66
04-01-2005, 06:42 AM
I tend to use FIs weight blur plugin (free)

Hi Larry, I'm interested in trying out that plugin, do you know where I could download it from?

cheers

monfoodoo
04-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks larry.and i'll soon be ordering your "bone tools" and "IK" dvd's.scott

Dodgy
04-01-2005, 12:08 PM
http://f23.aaa.livedoor.jp/~fisjunk/plugin/plugin.php?platform=1&code=3&type=Modeler&version=7#f

There.

SplineGod
04-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks Scott!
Dodgy,
Thanks for the link. Most of FIs plugins are worth the download :)