PDA

View Full Version : F9 Crash

barnabythebear
03-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Hiya,

I have nearly finished my first LW model and though it would be cool to start to see what it looks like in Layout. It's quite a small scene with 136k polys and no textures. I have 2 lights. Every time i press F9, LW crashes, just a few seconds into the render. I have messed about with the memory settings and i've trashed my layout prefs, all to no avail.

Is there a standard troubleshooting procedure for this type of crash. I did a seach here for 'crash' but was overwhelmed by the number of matches :confused:

I may have to dust off my trusty copy of Electric Image :)

Thanks

nige.

LW 8.2.1
Dual G5 1.8
OX10.3.8
1.25 G

parm
03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
That has sometimes happened to me, but usually it works if I hit the render frame button, on the interface.

Parm

noiseboy
04-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Nigel, Are you tranferring the file via the Hub? If you are why not try disabling the Hub and Launching layout independently and seeing if it crashes. Does layout crash when rendering other scenes (such as those in the Lightwave Content directory)?

barnabythebear
04-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Hiya

Thanks. I had tried turning off the hub, but it made no difference. I tried a few other simple scenes and they worked OK. I guess it's something in the scene that Layout doesn't like?

ta

nige.

toby
04-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Are you using any plug-ins/shaders?
Texture maps?

Have you tried quitting LW manually, so that it writes over the pref file?

pdrake
04-01-2005, 06:41 PM
this is usually indicative of something in the scene that's bad. i put some plants into a scene i'm working on and the same thing happened, i went in and deleted all the one point polys. that was my problem. try taking one thing out at a time.

toby
04-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I've had some F9 crashes that seem to result from LW not allocating enough ram to render with. Sometimes I need to do a quickshade render first, then it does a beauty render ok. I just had an F9 crash that happened because I had a post-blur applied to a dozen 1200x890 texture maps, and until I made LW apply the blur by viewing them full-size in the image editor, it would crash once it started the rendering polygon phase.

barnabythebear
04-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Hiya,

Well, I didn't do anything to my scene and today it's playing nicely! I guess I'll just have to hurry up and finish before it changes it's mind!

Thanks for your help

nige.