PDA

View Full Version : Multi select in scene editor(Light Intensity)

badllarma
03-31-2005, 08:53 AM
Ok guys well the past two days I've really been working in lightwave after the 8.21 upgrade and it's driving me CRACKERS.

So heres the question from some one whos had the package for 2 years!

I want to alter the light Intensitys of alot of lights by a divideing them all by the same ammount how do I multi select in the Properties Panel in the new scene editor!

All I get is a little yellow dash in a little box on the left of the value or a small yellow filled in box on the right of the E which seem to do sod all shift and ctrl click do sod all either :confused: All I can do is left click and drag each one at a time at present??

I'm sure one of the Proton videos mentioned it but not sure which one :rolleyes:

Ztreem
03-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Click in the little box to the left of the value. You will see a little yellow dash and if you look closer it's not a dash it's a number, number 1 to be precise. If you now holding down shift and click in left box at another light value you will multiselect the lights in between plus the ones you've clicked on.

You can also look at this thread over at spinquad.
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5504

Karmacop
03-31-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't know much abotu UI design, but I know one of the "rules" is to make the hit box for anythign as large as possible, which the new scene editor goes completely against. That little multi select box is stupid. The only reason they have it is because when you multi-selected before the item properties would pop up. This is just stupid. Make the item properties pop up with a right click and let the whole item be the hit box for selection. You wouldn't believe how angry I am at this bad design :mad:

DaveW
03-31-2005, 10:39 AM
NewTek's UI designer seems to have a fetish for impossibly small targets.

Exhibit A: the dopetrack
Exhibit B: the scene editor

Somebody stop this guy before it's too late! :eek:

badllarma
03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Cheers guys so they are numbers! I've just had new glasses as well :eek:

Ztreem
03-31-2005, 11:13 AM
I agree with you, it's bad UI design. Look at the spinquad thread I linked to before. Some people think it's good. :eek:

DaveW
03-31-2005, 11:19 AM
I read the spinquad thread, but I still don't see why anybody would think it's good. What was so terrible about the old way, left-clicking would select/multi-select, and right-click gives you the options menu? I understand people want to see the selection order, and that's fine. They can keep the small box with the numbers (I would suggest making it bigger though) but keep the entire cell multi-selectable just like the old spreadsheet.

badllarma
03-31-2005, 11:20 AM
No dout the same ones who think that you have to press return after every typed value in the text boxes was a good idea as well, that ALWAYS catches me out and I'm looking thinking why the hell has that setting after that test render look the same :rolleyes:

Ztreem
03-31-2005, 03:01 PM
I did a little mockup of how it could be, what do you think?

lardbros
03-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Right, i thought i had been going insane... i KNEW i never had to press enter after every value i entered! It's making me go nuts, why can't i just press tab like i did before?? This is the single most useless addition/subtraction for a program ive ever seen! Even changing the subdivision values is a pain in the arse!