PDA

View Full Version : Stability observation

Fausto
03-31-2005, 08:42 AM
With regard to LW stability, I havenít necessarily held my views to myself; I've frequently shared the view that it needed some serious work. I think I may have narrowed down what area of LW requires an overhaul; "I think I may have found the CULPRIT". Some time back I was having nothing but problems with LW crashes, they occurred less frequently in modeler than layout, but they did occur and as with all crashes they happened at critical times, leaving me frustrated and contemplating moving to another application. The move to something else wouldn't have been an easy move, I'm invested in LW, in software purchases, educational material and TIME, something I have precious little of these days. So it was with an open mind and hopefulness that I decided to try an approach that I read about either on this forum or some other, I'm not totally sure where. The tactic involved eliminating the initiation of the hub when it wasn't required; So I did the old "G:\Program Files\LightWave [8]\Programs\modeler.exe" -0 trick to prevent the hub from loading when I was either modeling or working in layout. Well lo and behold no crashes, nothing, nada, LW has been stable on my computer ever since. I know this is hardly an appropriate test bed, hence the reason for my post. Have others noticed an improvement in LW's performance or primarily stability by taking the same action?

TIA

Fausto

JML
03-31-2005, 08:55 AM
I find LW 8 to be very stable on my computer (hub enabled)
I remember LW7.5 would crash a lot when switching between layout and modeller with heavy objects, but I never had this problem with LW8 at work.

P4 3.2 2gb ram

CB_3D
03-31-2005, 09:41 AM
LW 8.2 on a P4 3GH with Nvidia GForce4.
Very stable with Hub. No crashes at all,actually.

MooseDog
03-31-2005, 09:46 AM
ditto cb_3d, same specs too :cool:

i had a crashing lw prob once and solved it by rolling back my nvidia drivers. rock solid ever since, with hub enabled.

seat of the pants tells me that graphic card drivers are one of the first places to look when lw starts crashing.

JamesCurtis
03-31-2005, 06:12 PM
I've had my LW 8.2.1 crash when switching between Modeler back to Layout. This seems to happen when I had Layout set to solid opengl view setting. It has been doing this only with a subpatched model.

Specs:

WinXP Service pack 1
P4 2.8 ghz proccesor
1gb Ram
Nvidia 5600XT graphics card