PDA

View Full Version : Why not such a network render manager for a next LW version?

pixym
03-30-2005, 08:03 PM
I have just had a look at EON Software Vue d'esprit Infinite, and I am quite angry with the LW network rendering that is a very OLD concept :(

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Products/vue5infinite/images/HyperVueManagerRendering.jpg

JML
03-30-2005, 09:23 PM
yes it needs to be updated,
more control like adding split scenes, being able to render quickly from the layout
to the renderfarm
and also have pc/mac capabilities. (rendering from a pc/mac master to pc/mac nodes)

hopefully the new guys from electric image will help with this by making
something like renderama but much more stable and powerful.

hopefully in LW9..

pixym
03-31-2005, 06:18 AM
:rolleyes:
Wait and see as usual...

BeeVee
03-31-2005, 07:38 AM
It's never a good idea to mix processor types for a render farm, because each works slightly differently to the next, which could leave you with scintillations in your animations. Stick to either AMD, Intel or PowerPC for the whole farm (the host could be of a different platform if it's not rendering too, but then it already can be), and preferably the same family of processor (all G5s, all Xeons, All Opterons, etc.)

B
PS. This isn't a LightWave limitation, it's because processors from different families treat random numbers differently so that will have an impact on anywhere in LigthWave that uses random numbers like HyperVoxels, radiosity, caustics, procedural textures, volumetrics and on and on...)

pixym
03-31-2005, 07:45 AM
Bee Vee,

Thank for your reply :)
I am quite agree with what you wrote above...
I had noticed some little difference between G4 and INTEL renderings...
So I think it is not a good thing to mix diiferents processors families.

So, the interest of the main thred is to have a "modern" network rendering manger that is included in the layout or not... MODERN and not LWSN setting nightmare