PDA

View Full Version : How would I merge these two?

rflo
03-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Ok, so I'm working on a Character model (my first), it's supposed to be really simple looking, kind of like a lego character, but a little better (I hope), my question is this.

http://www.secondsection.com/samples/bun.gif

How would I put the bun and pony tail (active layer) onto the main hair piece(background layer)? I created it by making a ball, then I booleaned the bun to fit the slope of the hair. I don't know if this is the correct/best way to get the shape, or even make it, but I'm running on limited knowledge and teaching myself.

I tried just copy/pasting it into the layer then merging points, it seemed to work, but it caused some polygons to just ... dissappear.

Also when I cut it, it created >4 point polys around the edge, which wont subpatch, so I selected those polys and tripled them, it then let me subpatch, but it made the edges pucker. Any help would be appreciated tremendously.

-NG-
03-30-2005, 01:32 PM
You could weld the point's together, or use a Union boolean to let them blend together, the new bridge tool could also work i think.

rflo
03-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Not all the points on the bun have corresponding points on the main hair, infact ... very few if any do, would that be a problem? (I'm at work right now, can't try it out). If so, how could I add points in the right spots?

Dodgy
03-30-2005, 02:14 PM
You should have done a union at the boolean stage, that would have merged the two together (though it leaves them separate at the join for smoothing purposes)

-NG-
03-30-2005, 02:15 PM
You could use the knife tool and bandsaw tool to add more geometry to play with, that way mayby you can align the point and weld them, it's a bit of work but that is a way i would approach it.

Any better suggestions from the more experienced users here? :)

rflo
03-30-2005, 02:45 PM
You should have done a union at the boolean stage, that would have merged the two together

Still can. I saved one file before this stage, so I'll go back and do that. Thanks.

prospector
03-30-2005, 03:40 PM
If I was doing it;

the small sphere would be a cube to start then I would subD it with an level of 2.
That would give you a sphere(when subpatched) with all 4 sided polys.
Then,
I would highlite a poly on that, that faces the larger sphere and highlight one there too. Do a 'connect'. In LW8 it's 'bridge'.
done
If you need balls closer then you could highlite 4 polys together an each ball and move smaller ball closer then enlarge the small ball polys after it's together.

rflo
03-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Where is this "connect". I'm using Lightwave 7.0 by the way.

prospector
03-30-2005, 07:49 PM
They were part of this set;
David Ikeda's Power Tools

HMMM

But I see on his site that Newtek won't let him offer them anymore as they are part of LW8.