PDA

View Full Version : file compatibility between PC and Mac

hullxsm
03-30-2005, 09:28 AM
I use LW8 on a Mac at school (only systems they have) and LW8.2 on my PC at home. I send scene and object files via e-mail to myself from the Mac but when I get home and download them to my PC I get an "unknown file format" error. I use WinXP on an AMD system at home.

When I create scenes and objects at home on the PC, e-mail to school and download them on the Mac, those files work. It seems files that originate on the Mac will not open on a PC but files originated on the PC will open on the Mac. mac is a G4 with OS X.

I checked to make sure files have extensions on them (.lwo and .lws) but no luck on PC.

Any ideas?
:confused:

Red_Oddity
03-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Have tried opening your scenes in a program like wordpad and tried saving it uot as a normal txt files (Dos/Ascii) so it places correct CR/LF codes at the end of each line of text...

And as far as i remember the Mac also uses : (double points) instead of / (slash) for folder delimters (so you might want to do a search and replace for this aswell)

so 'LoadObjectLayer 1 Objects/Boner_hoofd_05.lwo' on the PC probably looks like 'LoadObjectLayer 1 Objects:Boner_hoofd_05.lwo' on the Mac (not sure this is still the case, it was last time i worked on a Mac)

toby
03-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Going from the Mac you can use BBEdit, open the file and save it, in the save dialog look for 'options' where it lets you save with PC line-breaks.

lesterfoster
03-30-2005, 06:33 PM
I think that something like this, should not be an issue at all. Life is already too hard with out having to deal with something like this.

I don’t think that other software packages have this issue.

JML
03-30-2005, 09:36 PM
one thing you can try is to zip your scene and objects from the mac, send it to yourself and unzip them on the pc..
I remember having some issue like that at work a while ago..

but now I remember we were trying something like that at work a month or 2 ago, on a big scene, and when I loaded the scene on the pc (scene from mac), I just add to re-tell where the object and image folder was and it worked fine..

JML
03-30-2005, 09:54 PM
I think that if the error message is 'unknown file format', it's not a problem of : and / inside the scene file but the way the scene file itself was written..

(that's why I think you should try the zip trick if you still have problems)
(a year or 2 ago, we had to do that sometimes with our old mac server when transfering files to a pc) some file would be corrupted while doing the transfer,but
zipping the file would 'protect' them during transfer..
it sound dumb but it did help at the time, maybe you are having the same problem..

recently, when I loaded our mac LW scene file on the pc, there was the
mac path (comp1:folder:...) inside it but it still worked fine, it just asked me where the objects and images were..

hullxsm
03-31-2005, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I had some bad files to begin with as I was able to successfully transfer and open a new set of files on both machines.
:)