PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question - Text Problems

psch
03-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Can someone with a kind heart help me out? When I create text in Lightwave the middle of the 'o' s and letters like 'p' don't have their centres cut out and I can't seem to drill or cut them out either. What am I missing? This is driving me nuts. Thanks, in anticipation. P

SHIV
03-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Polygons have a limit of 1024 points each. What you may be encountering is complex shapes having too many points already so that you can't cut out the centre.

Try doing a point count on one of your letters and see if it's anywhere near 1000

psch
03-30-2005, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. After some more fiddling, it seems not to like text that is italicised, and fonts with unusual angles (Calcite Pro). When I went with something more straightforward like Helvetica or Univers, it was straightforward as usual. Maybe it doesn't like the stranger angles...

retinajoy
03-30-2005, 04:51 AM
You can create your text in Illustrator or Freehand, export it out as an eps and then import the eps into LW. That way you can have all the nice curves and holes etc. Doing logos and such in an illustration programs and exporting/importing eps into LW, I have found saves a lot of time.

P.S. You can use most graphics programs such as Photoshop to export eps, if you don't have illus or Freeh.

psch
03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your resonse. I'm also having problems importing files from illustrator. Tried using the plug in EPSF loader, converting files back to illustrator 8 (from 11) or converting to EPS files first, but modeller either just sits there and does nothing, or just crashes (otherwise, it's very stable). I'm on a Mac G5 dual 2GH 2mb RAM.

I read on another forum that macs have problems importing illustrator files. So I'm at a loss to know what to do about this as this seems like a pretty basic thing to be able to do.
Back on the original text problem just creating text directly in LW using the text tool. Many of the 'o's and 'p's just had their holes filled in. After a lot of fiddling I found that I could drill out the centres by copying the inner circle to another layer and using the drill tool. But once I'd done this the surface normals began behaving in strange and unpredictable ways causing problems when extruding and bevelling. Half the surface normals would be unexpectedly flipped when I tried subsequent bevelling.

I also found that in one typeface (calcite) the dot on the i became joined to the base character and no amount of welding or unwelding or dragging of points could solve the problem that I could see.

In the end the work around I found was to a) not use italicised type - I created the type using a very simple typeface like univers and then once I'd done all the extruding and bevelling, then use the shear tool to create the italics. and b) keep the typefaces simple. A complex font like calcite seemed to cause no end of grief.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but if you can shed any light on these problems I'd be much obliged. Is there something i'm missing here or do I just have to stick to simple typefaces with LW? Regards P

prospector
03-30-2005, 04:03 PM
LW 'should ' do any font in windows directory.
I have 4 CDs with over 6000 font sets and haven't hit one yet that LW won't handle.
Tho I haven't seen the one you are talking about.
On some fonts it will make strange polys that connect points 'outside' the base font. It usually requires a 'cut' with the 'knife' tool to clean up. That could be happening to yours.
Can you pass on the font set on or not? I'll check it out.

psch
03-31-2005, 05:35 AM
Thanks for your interest. Where do I find an address to email you the font?

maxxwv
03-31-2005, 05:55 AM
I've also found it easier to create the text with extra kerning (I think it's kerning... add extra space between the letters. I get kerning and leading confused sometimes), then bevel out and backwards. This avoids overlapping points in tight corners and should stop the faces from flipping during the bevels.

zerocrossing
05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Polygons have a limit of 1024 points each. What you may be encountering is complex shapes having too many points already so that you can't cut out the centre.

Try doing a point count on one of your letters and see if it's anywhere near 1000

AH! That's it. I was choosing "Fine" and creating too many points per poly. Silly.