PDA

View Full Version : perception on XP

scotte
03-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Is there anyone out there using the DPS Perception on an XP system? I was forced to upgrade my computer due to a cpu crash and it had XP home loaded on it. I was told that I could configure my box to do a dual boot with 2000 pro as the alternate OS. This seems kind of cumbersome and does not address the problem very eloquently. Any suggestions?

Chrusion
03-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Is there anyone out there using the DPS Perception on an XP system?

As far as I know, you install the same W2K PVR driver (patch) and the PVR
will work just fine. (I'm still W2K, but others have told this is the case for them).

scotte
03-30-2005, 03:26 AM
I loaded the W2K version of the software and applied the patch only to find that I had downloaded the pal version by mistake. I started to think I was not destined to make this work. After downloading the appropriate version I reloaded the software and applied the patch I tentatively rebooted the computer. The first time I did this I was faced with having to reload everything from scratch after getting the dreaded blue screen of death. This time I got much better results and the computer rebooted after a few tense seconds. The OS still thinks the PVR is an unidentified scsi controller but the program works just fine. I did a happy dance quite literally. Thank you for your suggestion, I can now happily get back to work. I really needed this to work due to the fact that I had to slightly modify my new HP Pavilion to accept the PVR card and hard drive. My wife was horrified when I started to drill out the support pillar that was in the way, before I had even plugged it in to see if it worked out of the box. Such is the life of the infidel modder...Thanks again!

Chrusion
03-30-2005, 07:27 AM
The OS still thinks the PVR is an unidentified scsi controller but the program works just fine.

Yes, same on W2K... unknown SCSI device. Understandable, since
the drives are scsi and the pvr is the controller, but there is no direct
OS driver for the scsi controller portion of the pvr, just for the
virtual disk/file system.

Glad you're happy and that it works... still... after all these "eons." Love it
when a product shatters all the rules of obsolecence and continues to perform
flawlessly thru FOUR GENERATIONS of OS and THREE PLATFORMS! Amazing.

js33
03-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Hmmm, mine is collecting dust in the corner because I thought it didn't work in XP. I have tried to get it to work in XP and it never did so I just gave up on it.
For the most part I can work without it anyway as I mostly just assemble my animations in AE and output to whatever codec I need.

Cheers,
JS

dgon64
03-30-2005, 01:37 PM
I also have a PVR gathering dust because my dual boot XP/2000 computer died. It worked fine like this since I didn't realize someone had gotten it work with XP. May be the way to go with my new computer ( currently using XP Pro ) but buying a new one and it would be easier to just load one OS. My question then becomes what video editing software still works with it. I used to use Premiere 5 and loved it. The ability to save in different file formats was great but does anyone know if Premiere Pro is compatible. The old Premiere software doesn't load onto the 'newer' OS's. Animations were so easy to compile and even though it's only compressed 720x480 video, it's a quick and easy option for seeing your work. Plus it was rock solid-never a problem-how often can you say that nowadays.

scotte
03-31-2005, 12:29 AM
It is necessary to install the NT4 version 2.61b (there is an NTSC and a PAL version available) and when asked to reboot say no. When you download the software from the Leitch site there is a patch available for W2K. Apply the patch according to the instructions and reboot the computer. XP will still tell you that it see's an uninstalled SCSI card, just cancel out of that window and the PVR should work fine. I just compiled a montage of clips I had on the drive and imported them into media center, burned a DVD, and then watched it on my cheap DVD player in the livingroom. The moment was sublime! (considering I have been waiting for this moment since 1991 when I first bought my Amiga 2000HD running the Video Toaster version 1.3!) Don't believe everything that comes out of Redmond, they are intrisically flawed and prone to human typ0e behavior... :o)

js33
03-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Well thats cool but I can assemble my animations in AE and output an Mpeg 2 file directly and author it on DVD so putting the PVR back in my computer and using obsolete software doesn't interest me anymore. It was good hardware for its time and we got alot of use out of it in the 90s.

Cheers,
JS

dgon64
03-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the advice on using the PVR with XP. I sure miss having that option. I also composite in AE to be able to output to dvd. PVR is outdated and the 10k rpm harddrives ( just to make sure no dropped frames ) are also prone to wearing out. Yet having said that , it's still the simplest way that I know of to be able to preview a field-rendered animation on a video monitor ( even though LW8.2 still has this bug-according to Newtek- soon to be fixed ). Just another tool I'd like to have back especially since it's paid for!

Lukesutherland
03-31-2005, 02:55 PM
....I can assemble my animations in AE and output an Mpeg 2 file directly...
JS
Hi js33, you say you can output an mpeg2 directly from AE, do you have a plug-in for this and if so could you please tell me the name of it.

thanks

js33
04-01-2005, 03:56 AM
AE 6.5 Pro comes with the MainConcept Mpeg 2 encoder. :)

And it works very well. I used to render to uncompressed AVI and then encode using TMPG but now I don't have to do that extra step.

Cheers,
JS