PDA

View Full Version : FBX plug not working

ikke
03-29-2005, 07:17 AM
I just got LW, I want to use it together with motionbuilder.
I installed the FBX plug-in from Alias (for LW 8), and added the plugin. How do I import fbx files? I can't find a way to import the fbx files.

LW 8.2.1, OSX 10.3.8 G5

toby
03-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I think you'll find the Import and Export commands if look in 'configure menus' window. Then make buttons for them.

ikke
03-30-2005, 06:38 AM
I downgraded to 8.0 and now I can use the FBX plugin....

It doesn't work very good :(

UnCommonGrafx
03-30-2005, 07:07 AM
As I recall, Alias has been mucking with the format since acquiring Kaydara. Have you asked over there?
In and out of MotionBuilder, no problem; as the 'replacement for an interchange program', not hardly. Seems there are built-in 'safegaurds' against that.

bradenbickle
07-11-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm running 8.3 on both Mac and PC and have gotten the fbx plugin to work fine.

Bill Carey
08-13-2005, 08:41 AM
How do you do it? I select import FBX, pick the FBX file, pick a directory for the .lwo file, which it never finds, get the requester for which tak I want, which never works, hit okay and lightwave crashes and closes. Everytime.

Bill

Bill Carey
08-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Nevermind, another thread mentioned turning off the VB file requester, that fixed it.

luka
08-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Nevermind, another thread mentioned turning off the VB file requester, that fixed it.
I can't get the darn thing to work and I have never used the VB file requester?
I have a whole load of objects from another package in .obj format. It would of been easier if FBX was working, as when I import .obj files the mesh count is asstrinomical. Modeler chokes when I try to reduce the mesh.

wilgory
08-16-2005, 09:10 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with getting the fbx loader to work with lightwave. I am running LW 8.3 on a mac(10.4) and a pc(XP) and I have been unable to load fbx files into Lightwave layout. Could someone please point me in the right direction of a tutorial or forum post that further explains how this works. I downloaded the fbx 8.2 for mac and pc from alias.com and I put it into the input output folder in the plugins folder and loaded it sucessfully. I even printed out the tutorial and it isn't where it should be... I don't even see where it is in layout. help??? I am trying to resolve this issue in lightwave, but I just bought maya and motionbuilder.

Thanks
Greg

Bill Carey
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
After install / add the plugins you have to manually add them to the menu's. I had a screen shot, but I have no idea how to insert a picture here. In windows go to Edit/EditMenu Layout. The FBX plugins are in the plugins folder, drag them under the File/Imort and File/Export menus. On a Mac, I'm not sure.

Hey, figured it out....

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/billcarey/Image1.jpg

thesymbol
08-20-2005, 07:08 PM
I can't seem to get this plug-in to work either and nothing I do seems to work. I'm trying to import a file from Cinema 4D 9.1 in FBX format. If anyone has a better solution speak up. By the way, LW 8.3 doesn't seem to want to recognize DXF files either.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The Symbol