PDA

View Full Version : Swedish UFO Interception

Fozz
03-29-2005, 06:53 AM
Managed to finish this one at last.
Did most of the image a long time ago but ran into trouble with the smoke so I put it on ice while working on some other images. Now I picked it up again and managed to pull off some fairly decent smoke to finish the image.
Original res 3000'ish X something, and the landscape is a photo.

Some fishy background story:
The year is 1961 and an Unidentified Flying Object roars through the sky at incredible high speed when it's suddenly intercepted and brought down by a pair of Swedish J29 Tunnan, one of the worlds fastest planes during its time.

http://fozz.tac2.se/images/Swedish_UFO_Interception.jpg

aversive
03-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Oh wow, that's very cool. If I am not mistaken the landscape is a real photo, right? You have integrated everything well together. The smoke looks awesome.

nthused
03-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Love it. Great work.

neversummer
03-29-2005, 10:59 AM
yeah the smoke is very impressive... the rendering is sweet.. looks almost like an airbrush/guache painting... one small crit: the composited photo could use more shadows from the clouds :)

lennartthissen
03-29-2005, 11:03 AM
perfect! :D

Thomas M.
03-29-2005, 11:29 AM
The smoke looks wrong to me. Well, it's not that bad, but it looks like a solid object and not like hot air with loads of particles. Also the plane has this kind of outline look. Like every surface or part is outlined with a black line like in cell shading. But otherwise...it looks fine.

Cheers
Thomas

Sastira
03-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Very, very nice.

The only thing that really bothers me is that the render looks very stylized, but the background image looks real.

If you could do something to the background to make it look more like the render, that's just be perfect.

nthused
03-29-2005, 12:07 PM
The smoke looks wrong to me. Well, it's not that bad, but it looks like a solid object...

Cheers
Thomas

That's because it's that alien smoke :)

Thomas M.
03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
I see ... Mmmh.

neversummer
03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
i do agree with Sastira.. the background needs to be in the same 'style' as the foreground objects and clouds... I still like the ufo smoke though... maybe a little bit of transparency in some areas? Also, if you were to give a 'heat wave' effect surrounding a small portion of the rear section of the foreground Tunnan, that would be **** cool :eek:

cc3d
03-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Very, very nice.

The only thing that really bothers me is that the render looks very stylized, but the background image looks real.

If you could do something to the background to make it look more like the render, that's just be perfect.

This really nice piece of work needs to look more like a rendering? :0

Looks great, the stylized look is nice.

Fozz
03-29-2005, 01:38 PM
I wanted very thick smoke, since those 1961 alien steam powered antigravity reactors do produce a lot of smoke when on fire. :)
Anyway, next time I do something smoking I will see if I can get it more transparent looking. When I tried on this smoke it just looked very flat.
Could give it another shot, but right now I have 2 other images I wanna finish, so this one will have to do as it is.

Tiger
03-29-2005, 02:33 PM
XLNT Fredrik!

What happen with the ship?

monovich
03-29-2005, 03:36 PM
very cool. Great work! I like that the planes are swedish. I'm tired of American planes shooting UFOs down (on TV and such). Cool concept.

I agree about the ground. Are the clouds cg or real?

riki
03-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Excellent work, five stars from me

JML
03-29-2005, 07:29 PM
very nice render, the smokes looks really good.
but why do you think all UFOs are hostile ? :)

StonyZhang
03-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Amazing!!!!!! :eek:

Fozz
03-30-2005, 01:48 AM
Tiger, the UFO crashed into the ocean and was never recovered. (they say...)
The 6 o'clock news said something about a small meteor crashing, nothing else.

Monovich, the clouds are mostly CG, painted in Photoshop as with the smoke.

JML, the UFO struck first. I used to have some kind of laser burns on one of the jets, but it didn't look good enough so I removed it again.

Sande
03-30-2005, 02:39 AM
So you are now chasing more than just submarines there in Sweden? ;)

I like everything above the ground in that picture, at first it all looks like Photoshop (which is good in this case). The smoke is a bit thick, almost like porridge, but naturally it's because of those antigravity reactors... :)

Photo of the ground seems a bit different than the rest though. Maybe it still looks too much like a photograph while other portions of the picture have that painterly feel...?

Great work nevertheless :)

Captain Obvious
03-30-2005, 01:48 PM
AWESOME image. I love it. Just awesome.

Kan jag få en högupplöst version att ha som skrivbordsbild? ;)

jbr3d
03-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Most excellent..... !! :)

starbase1
04-01-2005, 04:43 AM
I love it too - the smoke is perhaps a little thick, but for me it is save by the way it combines with the flame and lighting under the UFO. So it looks like a realistic depiction of unusual smoke to my eyes!
:D

I also have no problems with the background integration, looks good to me.

Only think I would suggest is that the planes are rather close together...

Great!

WShawn
04-04-2005, 01:26 AM
Excellent job, Fozz, I wouldn't change a thing. You've done a great job creating a scene that looks like a good aviation art painting. I'm not seeing much stylistic difference between the background and foreground.

Would you care to describe how you accomplished this somewhat painted look?

Obviously this isn't a photorealistic render, and obviously it wasn't meant to be. I think the look you've created fits the subject matter very well.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics (http://www.marshall-arts.net)

adrian
04-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Did you paint those clouds or are they HVs as well?

Very nice image.

Adrian.

Fozz
04-04-2005, 02:06 AM
WShawn, sure, I can try to describe it.
This is the original render straight from LW. Rendered in about one minute in 3000xSomething, medium AA.
http://fozz.tac2.se/temp/UFO-prepost.jpg

The planes use an blurred HDR as reflection, masked out with a refmap for dirty areas, as well as with a blurred version of the bumpmap if I recall correctly.
Then there are dual fresnel shaders made with gradients to increase reflection with the angle, one with a large angle, and one with a sharper edge. Both are masked out with the blurred bumpmap to keep the rivets and panels dark.

That gave me a decent look I liked so I did the rest in Photoshop.
I rendered out a raytraced reflection pass, as well as the reflectionmap it self so I could apply self reflections and add more dirt in areas that needed it.
Also edited the colors, painted extra details (hardly visible in this res), removed lots of render artifacts and such.
Then sharpen it and add some glow effects and it's pretty much done.

Adrian, the clouds are painted. There are NO HV's anywhere and will never ever be any HV's in my images.

ChrisW
04-22-2005, 07:39 AM
I like it - nice illustrative feel to the piece.
What's missing? Well, maybe a little green man in a parachute! :)

teemue
04-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey, am I imagining that there's faces of demons or sort in the smoke? Down right?

bobakabob
04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Very impressive - yes it looks very illustrative but it makes a change from the usual glossy digitised renders. :thumbsup:

shrox
04-02-2007, 01:36 PM
It reminds me of the type of illustration you might see on the box of a plastic model kit. Look good to me.

Eric Walters
04-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Fozz,

Very nice! The "midnight" image on your web site- fabulous! Very creepy

Eric