PDA

View Full Version : Bug? Scene object not updating??

badllarma
03-29-2005, 04:52 AM
Ok all have a scene "woodland" within the scene is land3 (consisting of 5 layers) I shut down the scene/layout edit the object land3 in modeler (adding a few more layers now 8 in total) reload the scene in layout and NOTHING the orginal object land3 is still the same so send the object to modeler (while layout is open this time ) yup my new layers are there, back to my scene nope not there any more even though I've used the sinc to layout.

What the hell is going on :mad:

So now I have to create a new scene in layout load in land3 object hey presto all my layers are back BUT I have to relight the F*%$ lot of course. And start from scratch.
I'm running 8.21 on PC running XP Pro BTW.

To me it looks like the scene file is only loading in parts of the orginal object and not reading the object file completely?? So when I update the object only the orginal parts are imported. Not very good at all as it's just waisted all those test renders of the orginal scene to get the lighing correct. :mad:

Capt Lightwave
03-29-2005, 05:03 AM
If I understand you correctly...the scene doesn't understand that you've added two new layers to an object?

Well there's a few ways to do this.

1: Add two Null objects. Select Replace with Object Layer for each of them and add the layers from the object (land3) you want to add.

2: Delete the object in Layout and add it once more. All the layers should now be there.

Aquaman
03-29-2005, 05:54 AM
I'm running into the same problem. If I've saved my scene then go back into modeler and add some layers Layout will not open the new layers unless I perform a replace object. I'm running 8.2.1 as well. I just started noticing this. I'm not sure if this happened in 8.2 or not. Just started getting back into Lightwave because of being out of state and on the road for many months for work.

evenflcw
03-29-2005, 06:19 AM
Just think of it this way: Layout doesn't load objects, it loads layers. If you think of it that way, it's quite easy to understand why Layout doesn't load the new layers. You simply haven't told it to.

Just use Load Object Layer. Still tedious for multiple layers though.

JamesCurtis
03-29-2005, 07:35 AM
I have had the same problem with updating of objects after Saving the model in Modeler and quitting Modeler and returning to Layout. It's only happenned once or twice and not all the time. Frustrating.

This was never a problem before the 8.2.1 update. My objects ALWAYS were updated properly. I think it may be indeed a bug.

badllarma
03-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Cheers guys for the info and work arounds.

To be honest I have had more problems with 8.21 than ANY other version. I ended up loading object from scene including lights then deleted all the objects reset up my camera and away we go again, there was no way I was going to throw all those test renders away when trying to sort out my lighting setup. :rolleyes:

What really winds me up is this I Lightwave part time I have a full time job that pays the bills and when I'm not out with the gf and all the other normal stuff people do when not working or sleeping I Lightwave and when I do it's usually a big session over many hours (making the most of my time in the package).

And when I really start to push things it breaks or I find problems, how the hell anyone working in this package full time is getting over all of these things is beyond me if I cannot modify a simple object from one/serveral layers and add more is quiet frankly a bloody joke.

We had a meeting the other week (I'm part of the North West Lightwave users group in the UK) and one of the other (more experienced users) was showing us some things with IK Booster and all whe got was "oh that does not seem to be working" , "and that doesn't either" and so on and so forth.

What are the beater testers doing ? Newtek forget 64Bit for now just get the stuff that we already have working please, I mean adding layers to an object come on :eek:

umstitch
03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
I too have been annoyed by this, and have had to get used to parenting everything to nulls just to clear parts of a scene I am updating. :(