PDA

View Full Version : letters forming from sparks of molten metal globules....?

3dgirl
03-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I want to do something which I have no idea how to go about creating! I want to have some letters being formed out of a shower of sparks, sort of like a large spark (actually more like a globule of red hot molten metal) pooling and cooling to form a letter.....

anna

pdrake
03-28-2005, 09:17 PM
i would use morph targets and particles. i did one where molten metal was being poured into a mold this way. it worked well.

the sparks could hide most of the letter while it's forming.

prospector
03-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Have you checked this out?
Not letters but will work the same
http://www.silkrooster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52

Celshader
03-29-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure if this is the exact effect you're looking for, but discussion of this cool (and free!) plug-in popped up elsewhere:

Fertilizer
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2088
http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/Fertilizer/

3dgirl
03-30-2005, 10:22 PM
thanks guys!

wow prospecter- that is VERY cool! How did you do it? Any tips- couldn't see any on the silkrooster site but would love to know how to achieve that look!

thanks! anna

prospector
03-30-2005, 11:30 PM
extremely easy.
Take your letters, copy to a second layer,
kill the polys (hit 'k') save the 2 layers as letters.lwo

in layout texture the letters how you want then on the points layer add HVs to the points, then give them say 500 over 2 frames for a total of 1000 count and start them at frame 30with an explosion, put a big wind covering the whole object (play with settings to get the desired look)(mine was a swirling effect that I thought looked cool), set full animation to 180 frames or so, set the die rate of HVs to 110 with a plus or minus of say 20 frames(that will let the HVs fade in...start at frame 30....die in 110 (frame 140, =/-20, frame 120 to 160),
confusing you'll end up with the HVs dieing from frame 120 to 160 and frames 160 to 180 is black (need it to be).

now set a dissolve on the letters
frame 0=0%

frame 30=0%

frame 31=100%

you'll need to play with those depending on how your wind looks

your scene is set

the trick

render backwards!!!
start frame 180 end frame 0, the compy will ask if you want to correct it.
don't let it, it knows not what it asks ;)

as you can see, the switch happens at frame 30 when the explosion goes off. the HV start to fade IN between frames 120 and 160 and vanish at the explosion at frame 30.

I know it sounds complicated but once you see what your doing then you'll say WOW it's easy, and you'll be tweaking and tweaking and re-tweaking cuz you'll think of things as you go along.

OOPS forgot...make the HVs as a surface so you can texture the same as your letters and when sizing them, just make them so they touch each other (click 'show size')

3dgirl
03-31-2005, 07:33 PM
ok, been trying to follow along. haven't done that much with particles before so am getting a bit confused... I have added an HV emitter to the layer with the points...and am selecting object>normal as the nozzle. That's the only way i can figure out how to add an emitter to the points? I have a feeling that's not right though- it seems to make the particles emit across the object bit by bit rather than all at once.

Also when you said "give them 500" are you talking about birthrate? and do i just set explosion to 1 under the motions tab?

thanks! anna

SplineGod
04-01-2005, 01:13 AM
The sparks would be pretty easy to do with particles. For the actual globules I would use endomorphs. Heres an example of the molten globules forming some letters.
Its done with two objects, one endomorph and hypervoxels. Endormorphs will give the most control.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/morph_text.mov

prospector
04-01-2005, 02:01 AM
OK, don't do tuts well but here goes;

prospector
04-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Parts 2.... here goes

prospector
04-01-2005, 02:09 AM
Step 3,.... 5 attachment limit
this is last and it includes scene, object and anim
Hope this helps.
I like this wind better for letters than previous avi.
Also new AVI up on other site.
Shows transition better

prospector
04-01-2005, 02:18 AM
HMMM wouldn't take zip...
try again

Arrg..keeps coming up 'can't find server'

try again

nope won't load zip, reeached some kind of size limit.
put it here

http://www.silkrooster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146#146

3dgirl
04-03-2005, 05:46 PM
prospecter- thank you soo much! You say you're no good at tutorials but that one was pretty awesome and very clear :) You are a legend! :p

I'm glad to see I wasn't completely off track with what I had started to do.

My animation is starting to take shape!

Only one small question....How does object>vertices figure out which points to emit from from which frame. At the moment I have the word superstars. The "S" and "per" emits on frame 1, then the "stars" on frame 2, and the "u" on frame 3. I have had this problem before, where the order in which the points emit seems quite random..... At this stage i have just upped the birthrate to 6000 (i have 6000 points on my object), so that they all emit simultaneously. But thought if there was a way to emit in a certain order it might be quite nice to get a certain "write on" effect...?

thanks again for putting in so much time and effort to help me!!!

prospector
04-03-2005, 06:59 PM
individual leters doing a 'type on' effect would require you to put each letter on it's own layer and the corresponding point set on another layer.
That will give you control of everything that happens.
You could dissolve each letter individually and also set timing of HVs seperatly.
In modeler you should name the layers so they show up that way in the objects pulldown menu in layout.

so your layers would look something like this;
layer1;S_polys
layer2;s_Points
layer 3; u_polys
Layer4; u_points
and so on

Also 'I' would give them each a surface of thier own, and it's just a habit I got into long ago, because I tend to use things again and again for video shots, and I don't like having to go back and rework something, and it gives me the option of texturing each letter to how the scene calls for. If they have to be same then do 1 and copy/paste to rest. But at least I keep the option.

prospector
04-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Extra added tip :)

If you look at the second pic (modeler layer 2) you'll see the points all glomed up at the curves (glomed a word?) (bunched maby),
any hoo

for a cleaner look ya need to go in and delete some so it looks even with the sparcer areas.

this does 2 things

makes it look much better for the customer..... and thats good
and with less points, ya have less HV and it requires less render time...and that's even better.
But then that's what a customer pays for.
For something like this then it's not really not necessary to do.

prospector
04-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Oh yea...an answer to your question
How does object>vertices figure out which points to emit from from which frame. At the moment I have the word superstars. The "S" and "per" emits on frame 1, then the "stars" on frame 2, and the "u" on frame 3. I have had this problem before,

from what I could gather, (and I've tested with a good model) is that it starts with point 001 and goes to the last point in model when the timing is set over a period of frames.

How I tested.

I made a long flat plane subdivided many times.
then I selected the first 2 points in a line and did a select loop, hit 'CTRL-P', cut and pasted the curv to another layer and deleted original object.
Then I hit 'FREEZE' on the curve which made thousands of points in a 2 point poly string.

Killed the polys "k"

brought the points to layout and put the emmitter on as above, except over a 10 frame span.

now when I played it out, the points would shoot particles starting at the end and continue to the other end.
Which brings up some interesting effects, when you see it happen. And think of what you could do with just the right shaped curves.