PDA

View Full Version : EasySplit v1.1 has been released!

Sensei
03-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Our the new and the most awaited Modeler plug-in is now available!

EasySplit is LightWave Modeler plug-in to split polygons by freehand, mouse draw lasso. It supports drawing in the all view ports including perspective one! Time trial demo is available to download and check.

To read more please visit http://easysplit.trueart.pl

There is a lot of fixes, improvements and new features over yesterday released v1.0!

Castius
03-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Very nice. I like how it will merge points to keep it clean.

Have you guys looked into making this work for subpatch objects? What i mean by that is, to be able to cut up the subpatch and maintain the shape of the model. I know it must not be easy but would be a great feature.

Matt
03-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Have you guys looked into making this work for subpatch objects? What i mean by that is, to be able to cut up the subpatch and maintain the shape of the model

Now THAT would very useful!

GregMalick
03-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Matt & Castius -- that sounds like crazy talk to me. :eek:

What do you mean?

Be able have a "cut" change the subdivision level for a single poly
Be able to cut the a poly and have the resultant sub-D'd shape unchanged

How could you possibly cut near an edge (to "sharpen" it) but then not have shape be sharpened?

You guys are joking - right?

prospector
03-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Actually that would be nice to do.
when you take a row of polys that go thru some kind of arc and cut the polys,
it will take the average distance in the arc of the edges of the row of polys and then cut them, leaving a 'flat spot' where the new cut is.
Same with avg weld, it doesn't take into account the arc and just welds avg distance between vertices. And again, you end up with a 'flat spot'.

It would be nice to work with tools and NOT destroy the general shape of the model.

Sensei
03-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Have you guys looked into making this work for subpatch objects? What i mean by that is, to be able to cut up the subpatch and maintain the shape of the model. I know it must not be easy but would be a great feature.

But LightWave sub-patches do not work with polygons with more than 4 vertices, which are very often created by EasySplit, Knife and other spliting tools...

Second thing is that LightWave SDK should contains function to get mesh points after sub-patching without need to freeze it for real.. Without it 3rd party plug-ins can only *guess* what object will look in the current LightWave version (newer version could contain improvement or changes how sub-patches works and plug-in will stop working)... And creating such guessing is 100 times more job for me, than it's for you, because I don't have sources how sub-patching work at all!

However, if NewTek will pay us additional 10k usd, we will make it working with sub-patches..

Sensei
03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Actually that would be nice to do.
when you take a row of polys that go thru some kind of arc and cut the polys,
it will take the average distance in the arc of the edges of the row of polys and then cut them, leaving a 'flat spot' where the new cut is.
Same with avg weld, it doesn't take into account the arc and just welds avg distance between vertices. And again, you end up with a 'flat spot'.

It would be nice to work with tools and NOT destroy the general shape of the model.

Could you please send e-mail with screen-shot the thing you are mentioning to [email protected] ?

Castius
03-28-2005, 03:28 PM
yes, I understand LW does not do to help you with this. So i do not exspect it but It would be a nice feature non the less.

Sensei
04-03-2005, 11:33 AM
This is what EasySplit could do in just one click:

http://www.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySplit/Graphics/Movies/EasySplit_2.gif

First frame is Merge Tolerance 0 mm, and second is 40 mm.. No more need to select polygon(s), select two points and then Split..

When you have a lot of such operations (common in box-modeling) profit in time is obvious.. And you do it directly in perspective view port!