PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Ball

Dickigeeza
03-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Can anyone tell me quicker way of making perfectly round holes in a sub d'd ball. I resorted to booleans and welding of points, then beveled the finger holes, but it was real nightmare - & would have been impossible with out "CPlane plaug. Also the finger holes arn't in exactly the right place, which isnt an issue for the illo I'm working on at moment - but could be in future.

Anyway any suggestions of the "proper" way to model this will be greatfully rec'd.

Rich

riki
03-27-2005, 06:37 PM
I can't test it at the moment, but does it work any better with a tesselated sphere?

Dickigeeza
03-28-2005, 02:24 AM
Hi Riki,

Slight distortion as shown, but nothing a bit of point tweaking can't fix, and a lot quicker than the method I used.

Cheers Rich

DMarkwick
03-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Here's how I would do it (please bear in mind this illustration is exaggerated for visibility, the real one would be more subtly modelled ;)) Use a distorted toroid to boolean carve out a portion of a cylinder, then use this result to boolean subtract from the bowling ball.

You just need to know the thickness of the ball's shell & the desired thickness of the fingerhole to get the toroid the right shape.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/DMarkwick/BowlingBoolean.jpg