PDA

View Full Version : Changing Multiple Surface Attributes Globally

rzick
03-26-2005, 10:08 PM
I have an object devided into over 1,600 individual surfaces. Each surfaces uses similar textures and surface values, but each slightly different to create a more random appearance. (There are beams of wood placed parallel to one another such as in a log cabin.)

I am looking for a way of programmatically adjusting the values without having to go into Surface Editor manually to do this. This would save me about 25 hours of tweaking time.

Does anyone know of a plugin or approach to this problem that would work? Something on the order of the Spreadsheet manager would be nice, but that also allows you to access surface attributes and possibly adjust these using expressions.

Thanks!

Robert Zick
FN Program Director
Brooklyn NY 11201

Dodgy
03-27-2005, 09:14 AM
You could write an lscript.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=234932&postcount=15

This is one which copies trhe specualr channel to the reflection channel for many objects. Have a look at it to get an idea on how to do it...

Snosrap
03-30-2005, 10:02 PM
The Scene Editor in LW 8 allows complete access to what is available in the Surface Editor! Great stuff! Use it all the time.

Snos

rzick
03-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Wow, didn't realize that feature was available in LW8. I'm using 7.5.

How deep does it go into the Surface Editor? Can you make global changes to multiple surfaces simultaneously, for example, to the rotation value of an image map applied to the color channel (accessed normally through the "T" button)?

Dodgy
04-01-2005, 03:22 AM
You can do this in the surface editor too, maybe even in 7.5. Just multi select your surfaces and edit their colours/attributes as normal. It may get a little confusing if you're editing textures, but it should be okay...

Matt
04-01-2005, 11:03 AM
I know this isn't what you're after, but it might help with the naming of surfaces, if you want them all to be similar but have unique names.

If I get chance I'd like to update this to change surface parameters too, depends on how much Lscript will let you access the surfaces attributes.

Matt