PDA

View Full Version : problems with p4 2.667 and LW6.5b

redshirt
04-21-2003, 09:03 AM
I just got a new set of toys here (see below), and installed lightwave 6.5b. When i render, the system resets after about 1h of rendering. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I can work in LW or other programs without any untoward effects.

I don't think it is a hardware issue (I set up JKII multiplayer 15 bots, that ran smoothly for 24h), the cpu temp was still tolerable, 48C. As it is right now, it is specific only to LW.

Sys specs:

Asus P4PE/L (on board sound and broadcom+ LAN)
P4 2.667 (retail fan)
1 Gig (2x512 MB RAM) PC2700 (passed ramcheck86)
Asus Geforce4 V8420, 128 MB
IBM 120 Gig HD (8MB cache)
Win2000 professional

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

mattclary
04-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Check your event viewer and see if anything looks odd.

redshirt
04-21-2003, 10:07 AM
thanks for the reply;

the only thing that looks odd in the event viewer is a problem with the broadcom+ network card (give me an error). I have disabled the LAN and am rerendering the scene again. there is a minidump saved, but i'm not sure what to do with that (win2000 newbie here).

Someone had mentioned to me that the onboard broadcom+ LAN and win2000 aren't too friendly to each other. Strange thing is that LW is the only program that has any problem with this thus far. I hope the solution doen't involve another software (os or LW) upgrade.

(edit) if people aren't having this kind of problem on a similar setup, i would like to know as well. Ill just send the stuff back and re-evaluate the situation.

thanks

redshirt
04-22-2003, 06:47 PM
Problem solved!

I had to disable the onboard LAN card in the BIOS. Apparently LW6.5b doesn't like the broadcom+ card. Too bad, since all of the other programs i have don't seem to have a problem with it.

Looks like ill be getting a PCI lan card (100 baseT) and try some network rendering.

hope this helps others. :D :D :D