PDA

View Full Version : No more access to Windows 64-bit Beta

Auger
03-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Wanted to sign up for the LW 64-bit Beta Test and went to grab the Windows 64-bit edition RC2 and this is the message I found:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Release Candidate 2 Customer Preview Program
Updated: March 25, 2005

The Customer Preview Program for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Release Candidate 2 (RC2) is now closed.

While you can no longer register to receive the Customer Preview Program Kit or the trial downloadable software for RC2, we expect the full-release version of the preview kit and the downloadable trial software to be available soon.

Guess I'll have to wait to play with LW 64-bit. :(

Para
03-26-2005, 09:02 AM
XP64 is due to release in a week or so I guess we can wait, right? :)

...I'm not in the beta though. I have a feeling NewTek's spam filters block my email for some odd reason.

Auger
03-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Oh, it's only a week or so? Not too bad then, eh? :cool:

hrgiger
03-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Cool, I'm curious to hear what people think of it.

I'm trying to decide right now on a new machine and I'm wondering if I should go 64 bit.

Para
03-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Oh, it's only a week or so? Not too bad then, eh? :cool:

"April release", I'm feeling optimistic today so that's why I said only a week ;)

Axis3d
03-26-2005, 02:51 PM
I guess it was about 12 years ago, or so, that I was using a 64-bit version of Lightwave for the DEC Alpha computer. Back then, Microsoft had a version of Windows that ran on the Alpha and Newtek was the first 3D company to port a 64-bit version. I remember that it was really fast (back then). Problem was, every other piece of software that I ran was never ported to 64-bit. DEC did provide a software program called FX32 which allowed you to run 32-bit programs and the software would optimise the code each time the program (like Photoshop) ran. Eventually, it ran a little faster than it did on the 32-bit version of Windows.

Software developers were slow to create software for that OS even though it stayed around for years (before Microsoft stopped supporting the Alpha chip). That was the kiss of death for the Alpha.

This time around, I hope developers embrace the new OS and hardware. I think that back then, it was just too ahead of its time. Now, when I'm working on High Definitiion rendering and compositing, I could really use that kind of horsepower.

I, too can't wait.

private
03-26-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable on this 64bit stuff. I have Windows XP on my machine that's a few years old now. When Microsoft releases the 64bit version, is it a free upgrade...or would I have to by new hardware to use it and/or is it backwards compatible. Could someone give me some information please in leyman's terms. Thanks.

CB_3D
03-26-2005, 08:59 PM
I guess it was about 12 years ago, or so, that I was using a 64-bit version of Lightwave for the DEC Alpha computer. Back then, Microsoft had a version of Windows that ran on the Alpha and Newtek was the first 3D company to port a 64-bit version. I remember that it was really fast (back then). Problem was, every other piece of software that I ran was never ported to 64-bit. DEC did provide a software program called FX32 which allowed you to run 32-bit programs and the software would optimise the code each time the program (like Photoshop) ran. Eventually, it ran a little faster than it did on the 32-bit version of Windows.

Yeah,FX32,LOL! I remember that stuff. Now my Raptor Reflex box sits gaining dust in the garage! LW was fast on it,compared to Intel at that time.

man,i still havenŽt crossgraded that ALPHA dongle,maybe iŽll do so for LW64.

Ha,that would be funny. Upgrading my DEC LW dongle to WIN64 LW 5 years later.

Para
03-27-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm not very knowledgeable on this 64bit stuff. I have Windows XP on my machine that's a few years old now. When Microsoft releases the 64bit version, is it a free upgrade...or would I have to by new hardware to use it and/or is it backwards compatible. Could someone give me some information please in leyman's terms. Thanks.

Well, you of course need 64bit hardware (namely, 64bit processor) to run XP64 which is a free upgrade for registered XP users. If your computer is a few years old, it's unlikely you have a processor that has 64bit support.

Intuition
03-28-2005, 03:44 PM
The other thread was closed :(

I want to jump on this asap, but I can't get any good info on a 64bit system.

I know there are alot of things out there for servers and stuff that is 64bit but has nothing to do with or that could run LW64.

I want to compile some info on which system is optimized for Lw64.

Intel or AMD?

I know they run it on AMD but does that mean I should buy AMD?

Is there something that Intel is doing with processors now or soon that will be better?

What kind of Motherboard? Best/fastest RAM?

Are dual processor setups possible?

Do you have to format hardrives for 64bit or can you plug an old one in?

Jumping to a new level of processing will probably have some nightmare stories and I'd like to avoid it.

I know I could just go out and buy something that will technically be 64 bit and will run Xp64 and then hopefully LW64.

What I want to avoid is buying into something that is really not good for practical or professional usage.

Could Newtek please put out some system specs for LW64 so we can see minimum specs and even recommended or optimal specs?

Any info would be appreciated.

WizCraker
03-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Well, you of course need 64bit hardware (namely, 64bit processor) to run XP64 which is a free upgrade for registered XP users. If your computer is a few years old, it's unlikely you have a processor that has 64bit support.

You will be able to buy Win XP 64 when it ships for you new hardware. It will not be a free upgrade unless you bought a 64bit machine from an authroized dealer that when XP64 ships you get free by the dealers terms not Microsofts.

I called Microsoft and asked if it was free upgrade or if you have to buy a new version.

I have to say it is nice to have the ability for the extra memory addressing, I'v been testing w2k3 sp1 for 64bit which comes with the XP Pro for x64 to test the client side.

By the way the LW 64bit is free to registered owners of LW according to Chuck in a much older post.

WizCraker
03-28-2005, 08:47 PM
The other thread was closed :(

I want to jump on this asap, but I can't get any good info on a 64bit system.

Type in 64 bit computing into google and you will get 1.8 million results.

Also here are some links:

The first is to AMD's website: AMD x64 (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9331,00.html)

Second is the INTEL website: INTEL's version of x64 (http://developer.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/)

I know there are alot of things out there for servers and stuff that is 64bit but has nothing to do with or that could run LW64.

The Opteron from AMD can run LW64 as it is off of the x64 technology that AMD created which is now a standard. INTEL reversed engineered the technology [which is allowed under a strict guideline for hardware] and came up with there own version called EM64T.

I want to compile some info on which system is optimized for Lw64.

The best place that I found is at Boxx they have been with testing and bulding machines for 64bit since the beginning.

Boxx Tech Lightwave 3D 64bit ready machines (http://www.boxxtech.com/applications/newtek_lightwave3d.asp)

Intel or AMD?

I know they run it on AMD but does that mean I should buy AMD?

That is a personal choice. I would go with AMD as I have lost faith in INTEL from many years ago.

Is there something that Intel is doing with processors now or soon that will be better?

They were late coming into the game for adopting the x64 archetecture. At the start of the x64 revoultion INTEL has been quoted by saying off the lines of that there is not a consumer need for that technology and that it will most likely take 5-10 years to get adopted. Apparently they misjudged the reaction from the press, consumers, developers with the idea of moving to 64bit.

What kind of Motherboard? Best/fastest RAM?

AMD's site has a list for both their Opteron line and their consumer Desktop Athlon 64 line.

I had problems navigating Intels website was not that easy to find the information you might have better luck.

Are dual processor setups possible?

Yes. AMD Opteron can be anywhere from single to eight. However to go to eight you would be stuck with a server board running PCI-X [which actually is good, but only a handful of video cards support it and they are expensive] and the 800 series processors are a bit pricey. The standard Workstation Opteron is the 200 series. The 100 Series are only ment for Single processor systems.

Intel has their higher end processors like the XEON with EM64T that can go dual.

Do you have to format hardrives for 64bit or can you plug an old one in?

x64 archetecture is backwords compatible, I have never formated a hard drive specifically for 64 bit outside of the first Install. I use USB and 1394 external drives that were formated on 32bit machines with no problems.

Jumping to a new level of processing will probably have some nightmare stories and I'd like to avoid it.

Most problems arise from hardware vendors that have not ported their drivers to 64bit. Most name brand have drivers ready. AMD has a page up that lists compatible hardware and drivers. Microsoft will also have a list of hardware vendors that are supported under XP Pro x64 edition when it ships.

I know I could just go out and buy something that will technically be 64 bit and will run Xp64 and then hopefully LW64.

What I want to avoid is buying into something that is really not good for practical or professional usage.

Again I would suggest take a look at the Boxx site above do your research from the links above from each company, then make your decision. 64bit as it stands is here, I remember going to a Fry's Electronics in Austin Texas, the only motherboards that were not 64 bit were those from INTEL [this was 6 months ago] They had at least 16 boads for AMD for the Athlon 64 [consumer] and 2 boards for the Opteron. Majoritiy of sales is not to those that run workstations but those that are Home Consumer users running to run X Game that is in 64 bit or that want the latest and greatest.

Could Newtek please put out some system specs for LW64 so we can see minimum specs and even recommended or optimal specs?

Any info would be appreciated.

I'm sure Newtek will have a Requiments Page up as soon as LW64 is ready to ship but it would be foolish to jump the gun and post specs that could change as they finish the testing of it.

coremi
03-28-2005, 09:40 PM
if u don't need a brand new powerful computer right now, i would advise to wait a couple of month, let's just see winxp64 and wich CPU does support better, probably Intel, they are friends for a long time, also Dualcore is around the corner, AMD will have it on 939 socket, but not all 939 MOBO will suport Dualcore, intel will nedd a brand new chipset 945, 955 for it. as i said before u should wait a little, it very unclear what is going on right now.

Intuition
03-29-2005, 09:50 AM
[email protected]#!

High five Wiz!

:D

Ok, are you sure your not on the marketing team?

Thanks, that is everything I needed in one swift post.

:eek: :)

WizCraker
03-29-2005, 04:50 PM
[email protected]#!

High five Wiz!

:D

Ok, are you sure your not on the marketing team?

Thanks, that is everything I needed in one swift post.

:eek: :)

Last time I checked i'm not. Too bad as I would be making a lot more money than I currently am.

And you are welcomed.

Verlon
03-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Well I loaded XP64 about a month ago, and found no dongle drivers available. I emailed Rainbow (now Safenet) and got an answer about the Itanium version of windows 64 (not the same product at all and the drivers will NOT work). Said answer bordered on sounding like they had no clue Windows X64 was due out soon.

So, I had to unintall RC2.

It loaded up painlessly. It found everything on the motherboard (hd controllers, usb, firewire, sata, ethernet, etc..) just fine during the install. I separately installed nvidia gfx card driver and soundblaster driver.

Now I could find no printer driver. I did not get "something similar" to work, but did not kill myself to do this. If lightwave doesn't run, I am not using it. The games I have all worked fine.... Half-Life 2, Doom3, Farcry, Flight Sim 2003, Everquest2, City of Heroes. All tested and ran without anything glaringly obvious going wrong.

I would check for a driver for your dongle before making the big switch.

Intel EMT64 is not the full AMD64. They left off a couple of things, but not sure how much difference it will make. Microsoft has much higher requirements for Intel than AMD for the OS (even accounting for XP rating). Its on the Microsoft site, but I do not have the link handy.

On the other hand, Intel has traditionally ran Lightwave faster than AMD.

I have a bias based on the name on my pay checks, so I use AMD.

Intuition
03-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info Verlon.

This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff I want to avoid.

I am compiling a txt file of all the info I am getting in the coming months because I do not want to run into problems. I have had it happen too many times in the past when spending alot of money.

Thanks again.

Jaffro
03-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Echo.... Check your drivers! This is probably the biggist stumbling point for the change over, shouldn't take long for companies to catch on and start releasing 64bit compatible drivers but in the transition do check before making big changes.