PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sub modelling

gordonrobb
03-26-2005, 05:05 AM
Can anyone tell my when I have a model in Modeller that is sub patched, not frozen and the patches are at 6, in Layout it shows as tirangles an nowhere near 6. When I freeze it, it is fine, but I don't want to freeze it.

Also....

Can anyone tell me why when I do freeze it, it renders with what seems to be small holes in it, which are more obvious in the shadows.

Please help, this is frustrating as hell....... :confused:

Karmacop
03-26-2005, 05:26 AM
In layout the subpatch polygons are always shown as triangles because the renderer only renders triangles. To change the subpatch level in layout yuo must go to object properties and change the display/render subpatch level. This is per object so if you have several objects you'll need to do it for each object.

The holes in the mesh may be from several vertices in the same postion but not welded. If this is the problem then just merge points or select the points and weld.

gordonrobb
03-26-2005, 05:54 AM
Thanks, I had just found that option when you replied. There are no additional points merging makes no difference

I have posted a couple of examples. the first one is s basic render, the second is medium AA.

What I have found is there are a lot of non-planar palygons created. When I triple the problem goes away. My problem with this is why would a relatively simple DubD model, with a patch level of 6 create so many non-planars. Is this normal? Does this mean I have to increase my poly count even more???

Karmacop
03-26-2005, 06:35 AM
Ok, this isn't the problem I was talking about.

Is this your frozon object? If it's your frozen object then you should triple as rendering non-planar polygons is a bad idea. And yes, Subd models make non-planar polygons.

hrgiger
03-26-2005, 08:26 AM
First of all, what is your reason for freezing? Most of the times, it is not necessary. It is usually useful to keep an object as subpatches because you can dial the subdivision up or down as necessary.

Are you saving a copy of your model before you freeze under a different name? Because I'd like to see your wireframe before it was frozen.

gordonrobb
03-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Giger

I wont be freezing anything till I finish modelling. Then my plan is to freeze the bits that I want to surface using weight maps (I am assuming that this will give me more detail in the maps).

I have solved my problem though, I did not know either of these two things. Layout uses triangles, or subpatch makes non-planers. Armed with these two facts alone, I should get on a lot better.

Hope to get some more work done on it this weekend.

vlucas
03-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi

If your problem is still exist with the weird black lines try to delete the two sided polygons if there any. To do this switch to polygon mode in modeler, hit w and you can see the polygon list, then select two sided polygons and delete them.

vlucas
03-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I mean two points polygons.

gordonrobb
03-28-2005, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Its all good. I know what is happening now. thanks for all the help.

gordon

Tiger
03-28-2005, 04:04 AM
...and can try to put Subdivision to Last!