PDA

View Full Version : Rounder Problems

barnabythebear
03-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Hiya Gang,

I love rounder but sometimes get this problem/message and i don't understand it or what i need to do to avoid it:

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/Rounder.jpg

I suspect its to do with the make up of polys round the window. Is there a way to make all the surrounding ploys into one, as it's co-planar? Merge polys dosen't work? BTW, I have merged all point and polys before running rounder.

Thanks

nige.

lardbros
03-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Righty ho... to avoid this error you need to create vertical cuts in the model so that the points/corners of the window dont just have points from the horizontal. If that isn't clear, i'll try and explain better....

The four corners of the window as they are at the moment aren't actually joined to every polygon around them. This can be seen because the corners don't have any lines going vertically from them. To rectify this use bandsaw to make two cuts and then weld the new points to the corners of the window, THEN try out the rounder tool.

If i'm still not making sense ask me to post an example using your pic as a starting point, i'm tired so it's probably best i don't do it now! :D

barnabythebear
03-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand but I still get an error. Is this what u meant???

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/Rounder2.jpg

ta

nige.

Silkrooster
03-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Check the statistic wind and make sure only four points are selected. Also it looks like the front poly on the right is overlaping the points, could be a gl problem or that poly is not sharing an edge with the side poly.
Other than that I can't think of anything at the moment.
Silk

lardbros
03-26-2005, 04:41 AM
Hmmm, that is exactly what i meant for you to do, but if it's not working i'm not quite sure.

Try what Silkrooster says, if there is more than one point on each corner make sure you weld them together.

Sorry, can't help much more than that! :(

lardbros
03-26-2005, 05:00 AM
Right, i've just tried modelling something similar. Created the box, divided twice horizontally. Then extruded a box shape inwards, bandsawed two vertical slices and then merged the corner points... and it DOESN'T work. I get the same error message. BUT if you have the cuts in the box first, and THEN extrude inwards, it works fine. This must be a bug!! Unless other people have found a workaround, i'll report this to Newtek, and see what they say! hmmm

Please dont let this be a bug, and that i've overlooked something simple!

lardbros
03-26-2005, 05:03 AM
Just uploading the alternative way and the final result. Why the hell does merging the points afterwards cause it not to work... that isn't good at all!

barnabythebear
03-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the replys guys.

I think i'm going to have to re-model this part from scratch.

thanks

nige.

lardbros
03-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Yeah, probably a good idea.

I want to know if anyone else has figured out why rounder does this? Again, if anyone has solved the problem/bug, i would love to hear.

lardbros
03-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Think i've figured it out, haven't put it into practice, but reckon it was the problem:

All polys surrounding the place where you apply rounder have to be Planar. So i'll check this out and see if it works. And don't start from scratch yet, just make sure all the polys are Planar.

----------------------------------------------
EDIT: Just tried it out.... okay, it works, but still took me five mins to figure out what was wrong. Tis the trusty non-planar polygons. Open your Statistics panel with 'w' and select non-planar polygons (i had two around the section i duplicated like yours) then just delete them (be careful that they're the right ones though)

YAY, glad i figured this one out.

barnabythebear
03-26-2005, 02:59 PM
ummm

not so yay :confused: All my polys round the window are planar. Oh well. It was a good idea :)

ta

nige

Silkrooster
03-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Hmmm. tried it myself was able to get the error. However, it happened when I used a solid drill tool. I then killed the polys and made each poly have four points. Still an error. But If I created a new box with segments of three and selected the middle poly and used the extender plus and move the poly in, then rounder worked. Rounder also worked when using the bridge tool.
Its starting to sound like a bug, but not sure yet.
There are a few people that model with points only and I haven't heard any complaints yet. So perhaps the boolean tools trashes the cache or something.
BTW I repeatedly did this up until I received a safty valve error from the rounder tool.
Silk

Silkrooster
03-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Your not going to beleive this, but I fixed the error. I ended up unifying the object. It removed 11 polys, now rounder works.
Silk

barnabythebear
03-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Hiya,

Yes, i'd used the drill tool originally so i'll try and avoid that in future.

thanks

nige.

Silkrooster
03-27-2005, 02:58 PM
I was able to use boolean subtraction today. One thing I noticed, was once object had passed through the outer wall, it had flipped the polys on the inside of the object. Once those were flipped and points were merged rounder worked.
However I still get the error if I try to round the whole object. Which may be a case of more than rounder can handle.
Silk