PDA

View Full Version : Dallas street standards...

nthused
03-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Residential sections to help the developer, the City Council and staff understand proposed standards.

Modeling and rendering in Lightwave 7.5d and FPrime 1.2, monte carlo-3 bounces, one area light.

Buildings shown are for massing only.

otacon
03-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Very nice renders. I like the colors. My only crit, and its not a big deal, is you can see some segments on the storm sewer pipe.

nthused
03-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Jason.

Yea. That was kind of lazy of me. Easy to fix though.

shaol
03-25-2005, 02:51 PM
I realy like what you did here how long did it take you from start to finish.

nthused
03-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Shaol:
Approximately 15 hours (3 hours per). Doing this kind of work really helps me sell my designs/vision for their property (AutoCAD) just doesn't do many times.

Thank you for your kind words.

shaol
03-25-2005, 05:01 PM
It took you 3 hours with or with out the render or are you say the render took 3hours

nthused
03-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Sorry about that. 3 hours to model & surface. Only rendered at 1024x768 so rendering didn't take very long with FPrime - even with the 3 bounces.

bcicio
03-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Man, I really like the way you textured and blended the soil profile -- even adding that small gravel layer at the pipes.

Newbie Question: It looks like you actually blend textures in some sort of a gradient way. At least that's what it looks like. Is it a gradient, or did you apply a UV map to it? I'm going to have to be able to do something similar in my line of work with geologic profiles.

gaushell
03-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Allan,

Another thumbs up from Memphis. Good job.

nthused
03-25-2005, 06:52 PM
It's a combination of gradients and image maps - the gradients acting as alpha channels so that different images can be seen at different levels - really very easy. Also used gradients to control diffuse levels for greater control on how dark I wanted a certain area.

I'm going to due my best to learn weight maps, as I believe, by what I've seen, they allow MUCH more control than gradients alone. Wish me luck.

Thank you for the good words.

nthused
03-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Allan,

Another thumbs up from Memphis. Good job.

As always - means a lot coming from you, Charles. Thank you. Hope you have a wonderful Easter.

shaol
03-25-2005, 09:26 PM
last ? are the peopl and cars and trees allready made and did you make them as well.
3 hours seem like a real good time for such nice images.

nthused
03-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Ohhhh no. Good question.

All that stuff is part of my entourage built and/or purchased over the years.

People: AXYZ-Design,
Cars: DoschDesign,
Trees: 2D from Marlin Studios, 3D trees made in Onyx Tree Professional (sweet program BTW).

Keep a good well tracked library of the items you've built (street lights, signs, cars, fire hydrants, manholes, etc...) You'll use those items again.

And between jobs - go to a web site for items that you'll think you'll need in future renderings and model them to keep your skills sharp and so that when you DO get busy - you'll have those items ready in your library to use.

Yep, most of the 3 hours was spent modeling the roads, buildings, fences, pipes, etc....Then placing objects, lighting, getting the motion blur correct on the cars.

The Surfacing after the first model was just copied to the other models and tweaked if needed.

Streamline the process at every turn. Be efficient in your art.

Techno
03-25-2005, 10:58 PM
godlike graphics.

lasco
03-26-2005, 07:53 AM
cool renderings,
funny to see I'm oftenly asked to produce
viz about same kind of questions but my clients
hate if I render realistic and ask me to keep graphic style…

one thing strange : on the last pic the parking
of cars hardly works if there is no little sidewalk.
Here people get out of their cars directly in the grass
which means in the mud on rain days…

nthused
03-26-2005, 08:16 AM
cool renderings,
funny to see I'm oftenly asked to produce
viz about same kind of questions but my clients
hate if I render realistic and ask me to keep graphic style…

one thing strange : on the last pic the parking
of cars hardly works if there is no little sidewalk.
Here people get out of their cars directly in the grass
which means in the mud on rain days…

:-) Know what you mean about "graphics style..."

What a good point you make about the parking and sidewalk connections. However, in this particular area the density of the housing is very small so there will not be a lot of people walking on the grass - still.

Same can be said about the courtyard street with the angled parking in the median - a little 3' strip of brick sidewalk would work great and still look good. Something to think about. Thank you so much.

prospector
03-26-2005, 08:18 AM
good point..I hate when that happens.
Also in dry times, heavely used areas will have little patches of dirt where people get out of cars often.
And parking under trees like that give good chances for birds to do thier thing on your car...I hate when that happens too. :)

nthused
03-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Of course the GOOD thing about the trees between the traffic lane:
increases safety for pedestrians by isolating them from moving vehicles
reduces drainage
reduces heating effects from pavement

Of course that bird thing....

lasco
03-26-2005, 12:52 PM
:-) Know what you mean about "graphics style..."

generally I do thing like this,
well no 3D here of course but even
with LW my clients ask me for such renderings…

nthused
03-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Good work. Nothing wrong with that style... but that would look so good in 3d.

lasco
03-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Sure it would but :

1/ this one is about a cleaning up air stuff that is not
located on a specific place but should work on different cases
so that's why realistic looking was avoided

2/ anyway never would have the price for 3D
with that kind of images

PS : by the way seeing that you work on cutting views,
did you try the animating boolean script for LW yet, in order
to animate you cutting plans along your streets ?
I did… not easy to use but results can be cool :)

Doran
03-26-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm just curious where the unsanitary sewer is. :O)

cc3d
03-27-2005, 08:18 PM
I like nice tech drawings like this but........

there's no trees that big in Dallas :)

nthused
03-27-2005, 08:29 PM
PS : by the way seeing that you work on cutting views,
did you try the animating boolean script for LW yet, in order
to animate you cutting plans along your streets ?
I did… not easy to use but results can be cool :)

No. I'm not that smart :-) Just model what I need, surface, and render.

nthused
03-27-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm just curious where the unsanitary sewer is. :O)

We place those in Atlanta... :)

Marcia
03-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Your illustrations look great; I really love the parkways between traffic lanes, especially since ours are all gone. Some of your drivers need to slow down a little, though, before they drive off the end of the earth. ;)

nthused
03-28-2005, 06:49 AM
Your illustrations look great; I really love the parkways between traffic lanes, especially since ours are all gone. Some of your drivers need to slow down a little, though, before they drive off the end of the earth. ;)

Thanks Marcia....Yea. Really trying to promote a pedestrian friendly atmosphere, so the more drivers we can get to fall off the edge of the earth the better :)

lasco
03-28-2005, 07:27 AM
there's no trees that big in Dallas :)
really ?
Though these are 10/20 years old trees, not more…
I rather found them quite small and thought
it was just for the needs of the images that must
explain the grounds so has to avoid too big trees
with which you'd not see anything else…

ravantra
03-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Wonderful Images!! One small crit. Under the street and usually under the sidewalks there is a layer of gravel. For walks it is usually 4-6 inches. For the street the pavement is many layers of asphalt or concrete with at least a 12 inch base layer of gravel - crushed stone....your users will never notice this but I mention this anyway......great job.

ravantra
03-28-2005, 09:09 AM
I KNEW IT! The world is FLAT!!!

cc3d
03-28-2005, 04:32 PM
really ?
Though these are 10/20 years old trees, not more…
I rather found them quite small and thought
it was just for the needs of the images that must
explain the grounds so has to avoid too big trees
with which you'd not see anything else…

just a joke really about Dallas, when I am there it seems there are no trees bigger than Bradford pears (when I see a tree)!

nthused
03-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Yep. Know what you mean. I'm originally from California - called them "tall shrubs" when I first moved here...Course call them trees now...as they're all I've got :)

nthused
03-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Wonderful Images!! One small crit. Under the street and usually under the sidewalks there is a layer of gravel. For walks it is usually 4-6 inches. For the street the pavement is many layers of asphalt or concrete with at least a 12 inch base layer of gravel - crushed stone....your users will never notice this but I mention this anyway......great job.

Good attention to detail - here we just use a couple of inches of sand...probably temperature differences leading to subgrade changes - Still, I didn't show that either. :rolleyes:

Lew
03-29-2005, 05:47 AM
No bicycle lanes? Seems like that will be even more important in the future if the price of gas keeps going up. Human powered vehicles should be engouraged where ever possible.
Lew