PDA

View Full Version : Extended Thumbnail Support Windows XP (TGA, PSD and more)

Matt
03-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi all

Did a search recently to see if there were any programs out there to add more thumbnail previews to Windows XP.

I found this one, which supports quite a few formats; most importantly TGA and PSD.

Works brilliantly! No more saving files in formats Windows will preview but necessarily don't want to use in LightWave! Yay!

Here's the download page:

Thumbview
http://thumbview.sourceforge.net/

I'm sure there are other programs out there, but this is pretty small, efficient and seems to work very well.

Cheers
Matt

jds580s
03-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Great Find!! In the past I have used Quicktime Viewer to preview TGAs and PSDs since it can pop them open so much faster than photoshop, but now I'm going to have this fantastic utility on all my systems.

Matt
03-25-2005, 09:30 AM
I donated $20 to the author, emailed him, and asked about looking into supporting HDR images, might be a bit of a tall order, but worth asking nonetheless!

<Edit>
Hmmmm, just noticed I have two desert scape textures that are identical! :confused:

seriema
03-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Hello all!

I'm the author/programmer/father/maintainer of ThumbView

There are some "docs" under the Project link on the homepage. There's also a downloadable template .h file for you C/C++ programmers out there to implement your own Thumbnail Extractor that's easily pluggable with ThumbView.

I'm currently writing ThumbView 1.1 but school keeps getting in the way... But I'm on it! I'll post my roadmap when I can connect with my own computer (I'm at my cousins house now). ThumbView Lite is going to get a little bit better. Because I'm going to use 2 other image libraries to make Thumbnail Extractor Packs for regular ThumbView I'm going to use the best ( = (speed + quality + features) / 3 ) extractors for the Lite version. The thing I'm really after there is to use my friends TGA loader which has a nice feature: replaces transparent areas with a white/grey-grid (like in Photoshop and other programs). :cool:

You can check out the current feature requests here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=683839&group_id=119383&func=browse

Please let me know if there's something missing

Well thanx for your time and nice comments!

Cheers!
/JP

PS. Oh and Matt: Thanx =D That's going to my "open a download.com account" foundation (costs $79/year).

Matt
03-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Good of you to reply Seriema, looking forward to seeing this develop, it's already useful for what I need to do, but always good to see programs develop like this!

Regards
Matt