PDA

View Full Version : Blueprint Tracing

Spitfire
03-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Hey,

Whats the easiest way to trace the backdrop image? I'm attempting it for the first time and have trouble placing the points in places where the polygons dont end up in a triagle form, instead of a 4 cornered figure =/

bcicio
03-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Best way I have found (and I preface that because I am pretty new at this) is to...

1. Break up your blueprint into separate images of the top, side and bottom views if you have them.

2. Be sure to crop each of these images using an image editing program to EXACTLY the vertical and horizontal extent of the item and know what those dimesnsions would be in each view.

3. Create a box on an empty layer, hit the "N" key, and make it's XY&Z dimensions match the maximum dimensions of your blueprint object. Then hit F2 to center it.

4. Hit D (for Display) and click on the Backdrop tab. Go to each viewport to set it's own independent backdrop image according to the desired view. The image will load and should match the rectangle in that view exactly. If not, use the sliders to change the dimensions to match it up. Then adjust the brightness and contrast of the image to taste.

5. After you set up all of your views with the backdrop images, use the Presets pulldown and click on Save All Backdrops -- or you'll have to do this same setup each time you load the object to work on it. It also helps to set the image resolutions to 1024 so they are sharp.

Then just use all of the viewports and various layers to build your object pieces.
Hope this helped.

Spitfire
03-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks, but I understand how to load the backdrop. But not how to trace it. I think I didnt explain very well. I take the points tool "+" and make points along the lines. And when I select those points to make a polygon and I get somthing like this...
http://www.geocities.com/xxryrulzxx/Bad_Points.gif

But I should get this...
http://www.geocities.com/xxryrulzxx/1.jpg

:confused: :confused: :confused:

bcicio
03-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Yep... you get a multipoint single polygon. Same thing happens with the pen tool.

I've only seen tutorials regarding constructing a face and have not attempted that myself yet -- but if you intend to wind up with a 3D model of a head or face, wouldn't it be easier to start off with a box or sphere with enough polygons to begin dragging out the features with other tools and shape the features of the face that way? The backdrop image could still be in the background as a reference.

But, again, I'm no expert.

Spitfire
03-25-2005, 10:38 AM
I'll give it a shot, thanks ^_^

pauland
03-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Lay down separate points around the background...

To make four point polygons, select *FOUR* points and press "p". Then repeat..