PDA

View Full Version : General question (pricing related)

jhopfenblatt
03-24-2005, 08:46 PM
I don't know where to put this, so I guess I'll just stick it here and see if anybody knows. I also posted this in the Classifieds forum, but I don't even know if it's the right forum, hence why I'm posting it here as well. If it doesn't belong, I deeply apologize. Just erase this thread or something :) :

I was wondering if anybody knows whether or not Newtek offers payment plans for Lightwave. I'm really interested in buying it, but I can't fork out the $1600 or whatever it costs at once--just too rich for my blood. I'd probably buy it if they offered some sort of monthly payment plan (depending on how much a month I'd have to pay, of course), but I've looked through the site and I haven't found much information regarding financing options.

On a somewhat related note, would any of you guys recommend buying LightWave from third party vendors? The main reason I want to buy directly from Newtek is because I'm somewhat scared of websites like Ebay, therefore buying straight from the makers seems like the most logical choice. Basically, I don't know whether to trust Ebay sellers or not, simply because I don't know if they'll actually comply with everything they say they'll do (i.e. transfer the license, etc. etc.). However, the difference in cost is certainly tempting, considering I'm a broke college student and computer graphics are a hobby of mine more than anything, and that's why I haven't completely discounted that possibility just yet.

If this were a regular piece of software I really wouldn't care, but since LightWave is so much more expensive and supposedly has all the added security to it in terms of licensing, etc., I want to be as best informed as I can before deciding on anything. I'm a compulsive shopper to begin with, and I don't wanna dish out this amount of money without knowing what I'm getting into first.

Any help is appreciated. This is bothering me more than it should for some reason.

SplineGod
03-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Id say that if you can find an older version of LW used go for that. Make sure you get a dongle with it or else its probably not a legit copy. If thats still too rich for your blood theres lots of other 3D apps that are cheap or free but perfectly great for learning while you save up your money to get LW. Once such app is blender.

jhopfenblatt
03-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the info.

Just to add to my question, is the educational version of LightWave dependent on the institution I'm attending, or could I get it as long as I show Newtek proof that I'm a student?

I ask that because in my university they offer software at discounted prices such as Adobe Creative Suite (and more stuff) to students, but they don't sell LightWave at all. So, is it possible for me to get the educational version straight from NewTek even if my school doesn't offer it, or is it a requirement that the institution I'm in offers it? I guess my big question is this: do I have to buy the educational version of LightWave through my school?

Sorry if that makes no sense... :confused:

SplineGod
03-25-2005, 01:35 AM
If youre a legit student you should be eligible for the student price. :)

beachedsapper
03-25-2005, 04:17 AM
I'm not sure if the academic version is available through the newtek store since I haven't seen it on there. But sheck out www.sharbor.com (http://www.sharbor.com) . They have good deals on the acadeic version and various other versions. Not to mention plenty of good deals on various books and the like. Might want to take another look around the Newtek site first though. They might have the details about the academic version posted there somewhere.

jhopfenblatt
03-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the link. :)

I guess I have one final question and then I'll stop bothering you guys. I intend to inquire further about this (the store itself, newtek, etc.), but I'm hoping some of you may know right off the bat, heheheh:

What are the terms for using the Educational version? From what I understand it's the full LightWave package, with the exception that I wouldn't be able to use the progam for commercial purposes. I'm fine with that. My main question is what happens after I stop being a student.

According to my university's policy with regard to the software they distribute, I can use whatever program I buy indefinitely, but once I stop being a student (for example, after graduation) I'd have to upgrade the license at regular price should I want updates and whatnot. Does anyone know if that's the same policy with LightWave, or will my license expire the second I stop being a student, or what? I've always been confused by that...

Once again, I appreciate any input. :)

Librarian
03-25-2005, 05:43 AM
Don´t forget the crossgrade offer.
Get yourself a free copy of an old Truespace version.
Register it and you´re eligible for the Lightwave Crossgrade.
Full commercial package for just 495$ :cool:

SplineGod
03-25-2005, 12:35 PM
You can stop being a student but your license agreement remains in place until you upgrade to a commercial license. LW will continue to function the exact the same either way :)

-NG-
03-26-2005, 07:54 AM
There are a lot of stores that offer educational versions of software if your a registered student. Ussually you just have to send a legit letter or id card of the school you attend for prove, and you can order the software. :)

I'm planning on getting the commercial license of LW on the end of this year, the thing i always say.....In time it all pays itself back, invest in the future. :)

madjester
03-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Whoa here folks, 1600 bucks? Educational 500?
Naaa...

Check out the Academic Superstore, (either Google it or)
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=712494&qk_srch=Lightwave

Its all of 250 bucks. I know it sounds a little too good but it is the full educational license.
Actually when I bought it I got 7.5 and a free upgrade to 8! THey have some great deals there.
Sorry if I sound like a commercial :) but I was just so happy to find LW on the cheap.

jhopfenblatt
03-27-2005, 01:53 AM
Cool, thanks for all the info and websites.

Now here's yet another question (hopefully the last one, heheheh)...

Are the system requirements as strict as it says, or is there some leeway? I only have 256 Mb of RAM, and onboard graphics (in retrospect, I should have spent a bit more money on a better computer, at least so that it had an AGP slot). I've tried sticking in a 64 Mb PCI video card but it didn't work for some reason. So, the graphics capabilities of my computer are quite lacking, and I don't have enough RAM. I guess I can just buy another stick of RAM and solve that problem, but is it actually necessary? Would LightWave still run at 256 even though speed may be sacrificed?

I really don't wanna buy a new computer just to be able to run LightWave. Even though I'll eventually have to anyway, I can't at the moment. :(

Dodgy
03-27-2005, 09:10 AM
I've run LW on smaller configurations than that, but that was a while ago. However, as long as you don't do anything too strenuous, it is pretty good with memory.

jhopfenblatt
03-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I'm mainly talking about LW 8.

Imatk
04-04-2005, 03:11 PM
If I were you I'd take the advice of finding either an old version of LW or some other cross-trade package and just using that for your upgrade... that's what I did... got an old version on Ebay for 40 bucks and then upgraded ... got LW for a little over $500 :)