PDA

View Full Version : Painting on live video???

kleima
04-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Supposedly you can paint on live video in AURA, but I can't figure out how, for the life of me!
Can anyone tell me how to do this?

SBowie
04-21-2003, 07:36 AM
Assuming you're discussing AuraVT, you can select Aura in the DSK, and paint directly over the VT Program Out.

(You likely know you can also click the little 'v' gadget on the lower right margin of the project window in Aura to display the currently active video input in the background.)

kleima
04-21-2003, 01:09 PM
But is this painting all strokes directly on one still frame, over the live video, or is this combined with the stroke recorder so that diferent parts of the strokes are recorded on different frames? (Like on an anim layer.)
What I am trying to do is a pixel track of a guys face that is impossible (apparently) for the pixel tracker to follow (he puts his head down sometimes so the tracker loses track). So, I thought if I could follow his nose manually with a little red dot, for instance, painting on the live video with the stroke recorder, then the pixel tracker could probable follow the red pixels??

SBowie
04-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by kleima

What I am trying to do is a pixel track of a guys face that is impossible (apparently) for the pixel tracker to follow (he puts his head down sometimes so the tracker loses track). Oh, I get it. Sort of a cute idea, actually.

To answer your question, you would be painting in a single image, but that wouldn't really matter. Having saved the recorded stroke, you could delete that original frame, the one you painted all over, then re-apply the stroke to an anim layer of the correct duration.

OTOH, what you are doing in painting the red 'trail' down is effectively rotoscoping, or manual tracking -- which sort of obviates the reason for pixel tracking in the first place?

One other thing to note, there are several ways to dealing with pixels that are temporarily 'lost' to the tracker. One way to handle it is to stop tracking just before it occurs, manually add the missing motion nodes, then continue. The pixel tracks are similar to other Aura motion files, and in addition to the tools in the Path Manager, can be edited after capture to some degree in both the Keyframer and Stroke Recorder panels.

Hope this helps, I don't have time write now to detail all the steps :(