PDA

View Full Version : fileformats lw8 ??

brunoco
03-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Hi,

I am a little confused the Lightwave features mentione dhere online (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/highlights2.html#NewFileFormats) say :

New File Formats

OpenEXR

Integration Tools

Photoshop plugins that allow NewTek's Flexible Image HDRI format (.flx) to be loaded into PhotoShop.

But i am not able to find how to save to openexr with LW8 and no trace of those photoshop plugin for flx format...

Am i missing something ? Did newtek not include the openexr format in LW now ? Does that photoshop plugin Not exist?

Thank you,

Karmacop
03-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Ok, maybe I'
m wrong about this but this is what i think.

Go to add plugins, the plugin file should be in Lightwave/plugins/input-output/sgi64.p . After you've added it (or maybe you already have) it's shown as DGI 64-bit (.rgb) in the image format drop down. I'm not sure why it doesn't say anything about openexr.

marcus staffel
04-02-2005, 02:54 AM
It is frustrating because networkrendering (without extra plugin in standard) produces .FLX and possible problems (with the .tif plugin LW8) of the tif-implementation. So I need a FLX-Plugin for Photoshop to import (batch-convert) my FLX-files.
It is good to have the flx-file-format, but it would be better to have the opportunity to import this format into Photoshop CS!
Does nobody else need this? Is everyone doing a workaround by rendering backgrounds? I can not believe that such a hightech (LW8) is so inflexible with the flexible file format (FLX).

I can not use a plugin filtering .rgb if photoshop recognizes .flx-endings

I think the .flx is builtin LW8 not in a library, because it is standard, without any plugin.

BeeVee
04-02-2005, 05:28 AM
FLX is indeed built into LightWave, but if your Screamernet renders are only producing flx files you have something wrong in your configs. However, the solution that LightWolf proposed - to re-render your images to a different fileformat is the correct one. When you re-render it will take no time at all - just as fast as a batch conversion program, with the added benefit that you can change the size of your rendered images, or create an animation from them at the same time.

B

WizCraker
04-03-2005, 05:03 AM
I'm not sure why it doesn't say anything about openexr.

Because it was never added. We are forced to yet again go 3rd party on this one. Yes there is a fee script but I would've expected soemthing advertised would be included.

I use .cin as my renders of choice.

brunoco
04-09-2005, 05:57 PM
thanks for you ranswers so the EXR format and the flx plugin for lightwave 8 have not been added even while they still mention it in the features ?

Well hope newtek next update doesnt forget these then.

Which free script did you mean ?

Bruno

Titus
04-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Just look at flay (http://flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1817) for the OpenEXR exporter/importer plug-in.

WizCraker
04-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Just look at flay (http://flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1817) for the OpenEXR exporter/importer plug-in.

Like I said non native plug-in, if they are going to list it on their feature list it better be inside of the program and not for the user to go hunting for it from some other place.

In my book that falls under false advertisement.

Are we to wonder that oh yes Lightwave supports openEXR but if you want to use it you have to go 3rd party. But guess what following that reasoning I could say that in the feature list Lightwave supports the external Renderman but oh wait you have to use the 3rd party .RIB exporter in order to use it. Also following that reasoning everything all features not listed are supported as we just leave it up to the 3rd party devs to come up with the new features.

Doesn't sound quite right to me. But I guess they are too busy to fix what is listed on the feature page to what is actually in Lightwave as they are working on fixing bugs.