PDA

View Full Version : train animation

sidekick
03-23-2005, 02:49 PM
I want to know if a bone chain can follow a path in Layout, we at our studio are working in a train animation, the train travel for several curves so we need to use paths, but lightwave path's are very limited. we first use follower but it did weird things, next to that we use bones but it didnt work. then someone show me that 3d max bones can follow a path in a very very very easy way. did someone know if i can do a similar thing in LW.

Wonderpup
03-24-2005, 02:46 AM
Hi sidekick,

If you create your path using a curve in Modeler, you could then use this curve to both create a skelegon chain, and then export the curve as a motion path into layout, so once your skelegons are converted in layout, you should get a bone chain that matches the motion path. Of course the accuracy will depend on how many points in the original curve, as this will determine how many skelegons are created from it.

One other thought on this- if you just need to animate objects on a path, you could just export the same path from modeler onto each object, then offset the timing using the dopesheet to move or scale the keys, this might be simpler than using bones and morphs.