PDA

View Full Version : Incredibles Rendering question

Brianthreedee
03-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi;
Newbie render question.

I just watch the Incredibles for the first, GREAT ANIMATION!

My question is, "How do you render some thng, so it has the same look?"
I meen the way the building and objects looked almost real.

Is there a tutorial for that type of rendering?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Brianthreedee.

operation
03-24-2005, 07:15 PM
hi,

you can use translution and illumination : play with gradients and fresnel .
You can find some posts here that explain the tips.

About the bulding, cars,etc... looking real , you have to use the "occlusion shader", that will give you the same look with faster rendering time.
There is one for lightwave (you can find it on Flay).

cheers

harlan
03-24-2005, 07:30 PM
It's called 200 (or however many) very talented artists pushing their toolset to the limit. :)

Avebeno
03-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Here, here!

SplineGod
03-24-2005, 11:04 PM
I agree. Its not something where someone can give you a few settings and thats it. Theres a lot of time spent on coming up with and honing the look. Theres a lot of man hours that went into getting it to look at way. :)

Brianthreedee
03-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys;

I understand that it took many man hours and a talented team of artist.

I guess what i'm trying to find out is how you get a similar look when rendering stuff. What shaders would be used, what princible/theory is behind that look, are there any tutorials that I can learn from?

My goal is to make a similar look and feel, though it will be some time before i'm at that level, but on a smaller scale, like a room rendering or just simple sence.

Dodgy
03-25-2005, 11:42 AM
There are a lot of books on 3d texturing and lighting out there, have a search on amazon, I'm sure you'll find something useful :)

wacom
03-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Well, maybe I'm wrong here, but I've never seen any indication of radiosity used. So you can guess they're using raytracing and/or good light placement. Using a shadder tree...such as the upcoming nodal might get you closer too...

Most things from Pixar don't look real...only really good...

Are you just wanting to set up a still or an animation? I've came semi-close to things that are Pixar like...but only for stills. I'm just not willing to screw around with lights and gradients enough I guess. They are using a version of RenderMan...there are some free versions (not theirs) out there...but good luck on a quick solution!

Higher about 100 interns with at least 50% of them able to do intensive scripting... :)

Hell I've left out the artistic skill in this so far...

You might want to think about FPrime for help with lighting etc.

ACLOBO
03-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey Larry, I sent ya a private message as well as an email. I was wondering if you received them?

-Adrian

toby
03-25-2005, 03:53 PM
My goal is to make a similar look and feel, though it will be some time before i'm at that level, but on a smaller scale, like a room rendering or just simple sence.
What it takes to get that kind of look is not just a technique, it takes:
great design
great color and composition
great texturing
great surfacing
great lighting
great compositing

If you can be more specific about the look you want maybe we can narrow it down - in the meantime, you can always enter 'lightwave rendering tutorials' into Google.
Basically anything you can learn about lighting, texturing will help you here.

-NG-
03-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, maybe I'm wrong here, but I've never seen any indication of radiosity used. So you can guess they're using raytracing and/or good light placement.

I don't know if they used raytracing for the incredibles, renderman is a scanline renderer with raytracing support since of yet, but if the incredibels is rendered with raytracing....i think not.

I agree on the manhours and people, they do all the work and establish the visual look, so that's the basic key behind it. They use PRrenderman to render it al out, it's their own renderer and a fully customizable one, they probarly created there own custom shaders for the visuel look of the movie(specialized light shaders, surface shaders enz enz).

lesterfoster
03-25-2005, 07:36 PM
After waking up this morning. I found this thread about the Incredibles.

After that, I put on my cote to go to the 1HR photo store to get some photos developed. While I was there waiting to get my photos. They were playing the movie < THE INCREDIBLES>

After hearing so many good things about this movie and seeing some of it at the photo store. I decided to buy it. And I am watching it right now.

So far, I think that it is a incredible movie. So if you will excuse me. I am going to watch the rest of this incredible movie.