PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Openmosix

MrCoffee
03-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I am curious if anyone has tried process migration of lightwave render processes under unix with OpenMosix. If so how did it go. I am considering building a cluster and one of the reasons being for rendering. Theoretically if you multithread the render it should spread out over the cluster. Any Comment? Thoughts?

polarbear53
03-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Sounds like your trying to get a cluster that acts as one computer. I think it would be better to just have each computer on it's own and render it's own frame, i think.

MrCoffee
03-23-2005, 06:11 PM
I was planning on using it as a one frame per node cluster, using screamernet and wine, I know this is easily possible. I am asking more about the feasability of using a OpenMosix style cluster to render a single frame over multiple nodes. Should theoretically work because when you change the threading in the render options it just opens new processes (I use this on my SMP box). These processes should then be load balanced. Just wonderin if anyone had tested anything like this?

jludwig
04-11-2005, 05:03 PM
As far as I know, most plug-ins that work in LW are single thread only. You can still render multi-threaded, but only if you know that all of the plug-ins are going to be compatible. YMMV

Jim