PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with LightWave on dual monitor/card system

kuroyume0161
04-20-2003, 06:20 PM
For some reason, I cannot get LightWave to display "views" on the second monitor - whether this is OpenGL, driver, or other is not known to me.

There is an AGP GeForce4 TI 4600 with one CRT monitor as primary display and a PCI GeForce4 MX 420 with one CRT monitor as secondary display. This is a clean install of Windows XP (just finished) with the NVidia 3.0.87 drivers (since these are the latest that support stereoscopics). No problems with nView, extending the desktop, or displaying video on either monitor, but cannot see LightWave views on the secondary - which leads me to believe that it is related to OpenGL.

What can be done to fix this?

Thank you,

Kuroyume

Lamont
04-21-2003, 12:18 AM
I have stereo drivers 43.XX on my machine at work. I'll send a link to where I got them. They work and are stable.

Now, I think the problem is that your screen res is too large to handle it. Or you forgot to make it 32bit mode ^_^!

You know, if you have a GF4 Ti4600, the latest drivers will let you use the CRT and VGA as two outputs, thus giving you dualhead on one card.

So yeah, get the latest drivers. If I can't find the link, I'll post them for you... or if you have an FTP, send me an e-mail with the info.

kuroyume0161
04-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks, I'd appreciate the links. Haven't seen anything about stereoscopics beyond 30.87, so am very interested! :0)

The primary display is 1600x1200x32 (21" monitor) and the secondary is 1280x1024x32 (17" monitor). I realize that the GeForce4 TI 4600 can handle two monitors, but after extensive research, most have suggested two separate cards to get OpenGL to work on two monitors (hmmm...) as well as stereoscopics on both. I used to have a primary LCD and a secondary CRT, but that has changed. Maybe the newer drivers correct this problem and I can hook them both back into the TI 4600.

If you can't find the link, you can attach them to an email, just zip them up or Outlook will have a tantrum when trying to do anything with the attachment. My email is:

[email protected]

- Let rip the spam ;0)

Thanks, Lamont!

Kuroyume

Lamont
04-21-2003, 09:55 AM
Sent the link to you. ^_^!!http://www.digitalweapon.net/2.gif

Lamont
04-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Oh. Lightwave will not run properly with the option "Stereo Enabled/By Hot Key". Make sure it's off.

kuroyume0161
04-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Lamont
Oh. Lightwave will not run properly with the option "Stereo Enabled/By Hot Key". Make sure it's off.

Okay. I usually have "Hot Key" enable for stereo. So, off it goes! :)

Got your link! Thanks again. Will reply back here when done to let you know if it works or there are problems.

Kuroyume

kuroyume0161
04-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Seems that Stereo Control Panel 43.03 has been pulled from everywhere. I haven't been able to get it and the link directories at the source site are no longer there.

One thing that I should note is that I'm using Windows XP Pro (not Home), so it must be a 2000/XP compatible version, not 98/ME/XP version.

If it weren't for the lack of a stereo driver in the latest detonator version (43.45), I'd use it.

Setting stereo to "Disabled" on both monitors didn't help the second (under 30.87 drivers).

One last thing, is there a way to save the locations of the Editor windows? I put the Surface, Image Texture, Scene, and Surface Presets onto the secondary display and would like them to open there in future. I have "Save as Default" in Display Options and they reappear on the primary display. Can't seem to find a reference to this in the manual either.

Kuroyume

Lamont
04-22-2003, 09:27 PM
I have the drivers at work. I'll give them to ya... watch your e-mail tomorrow.

As for the window positions, it will work if the display treats itself as one single large desktop. Not two seperate displays...

It sounds strange, but there was a huge thread back in the day about this.

kuroyume0161
04-22-2003, 11:01 PM
I have the drivers at work. I'll give them to ya... watch your e-mail tomorrow.

As for the window positions, it will work if the display treats itself as one single large desktop. Not two seperate displays...

It sounds strange, but there was a huge thread back in the day about this.

Well, it should be one single desktop. I have "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" checked and the mouse moves between monitors as if it is, just like when I had them on one card. On the other hand, in nView, the setting is "Standard (nView disabled)" instead of "Horizontal span", which is how multiple video cards are handled, I surmize.

I can easily move the second monitor to the first card as well and see what happens. Might require some resetting after Windows goes all googly over the new setup. ;0)

Looking forward to the driver and will let you know if putting both monitors on the AGP card has a positive effect!

Thanks!!

Kuroyume

Lamont
04-22-2003, 11:22 PM
I can go ahead and try it before you download it I guess... I just have two machines, one w/Max one with Lightwave... don't ask why...

kuroyume0161
04-23-2003, 01:07 AM
Why? ;0)

I'm just kidding.

The strangest thing. When I had this set up as dual monitors on a single dual-head card previously (same 30.87, nView, w/Horiz. span), both monitors were separate and could be separately sized in resolution. Now, when I moved the second monitor to the first board (so that both are now on the TI 4600), it shows up as one big long monitor. Very strange indeed. Never had this before.

Good thing, though, is that this worked! LightWave now displays properly on both monitors.

Getting used to everything stretched across the two and loosing my 1600x1200 on the 21" CRT sort of bites. :0( Since one monitor is 17", nView must set to the lowest denominator for available resolutions. Still, I have 1280+1280 x 1024 (2560x1024x32) which is not exactly a bad thing.

So, this gives more incentive for this stereo driver, but how does it handle a single monitor stitched into one?

Kuroyume

VWTornado
04-23-2003, 02:00 PM
I also am running dual monitors with 2 different cards to do it. both are nVidia cards..main is a 128MB GeForce4 Ti4200 and the other is a 32 MB nVidia TNT2 i believe (at work and forget exactly).

My Lightwave won't show the OpenGL stuff on both monitors either...is there a way to make it work w/o putting both monitors on that one video card? I am running Windows XP Pro with nVidia 41.90 drivers, not the latest 43.??.

Any help is much appreciated.

Lamont
04-23-2003, 02:02 PM
What res? If it's too huge it will display wrong..

VWTornado
04-23-2003, 02:05 PM
i believe they are both set to 1152x864. and i think they are both 32bit mode. i'm at work so i can't confirm til later, but any idea now i will try right when i get home. I am running dual 19" CRT monitors.

Nicodemus
04-24-2003, 11:13 AM
I will check to see what drivers I have but I know I am running two monitors on a Geforce 3 TI and a Geforce 2 MX and have no problems with open gl on the second monitor.

It was a problem initially then nvidia released nview and it worked perfectly.

~L~

VWTornado
04-24-2003, 11:53 AM
I'll have to play with it tonight and see what happens. I'll try changing the resolution on the monitors to see what happens...and change to 32 bit also (if they aren't already). and maybe download the newest drivers.

Nicodemus
04-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Also........I am running my monitor resolution at 1280 X 960.

~L~

Lamont
04-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Oh, the documentation that came with the card would tell you the max res you can run at 32 bit...

VWTornado
04-24-2003, 03:27 PM
I would hope it wouldn't let you put it in 32bit if it can't handle it at whatever resolution you try. when i get home i wanna try a few things...cause my OpenGL...like all the views won't work if its in the second monitor. Like ill try to have Modeler open in one window, then Layout in the other...and whichever is in the 2nd display won't show any of the windows. it shows all the menus and stuff, just not whats inside all the views.

VWTornado
04-25-2003, 08:38 AM
well i played with the resolutions and i still can't see anything on the second monitor. I can see the menus and popup windows, but I can't see anything that involves OpelGL or any of the views. anyone have ideas? i even tried turning off nView.

Lamont
05-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Ok, I am un-busy... it got a little crazy at work. I am sorry because I was a lagging bastard.

But here are the drivers for 43.XX, rejoice.

Wha? I guess we can't upload Zip files... it said we could!! Ok, I'll find webspace to do this...

Rei
05-10-2003, 11:43 AM
I have never had any problems with my 4600 Ti. I run a very similar setup to you too.

Lamont
05-10-2003, 02:51 PM
They are running two cards it seems.

You are running a GF4 which will let you treat the card as a dual head with Nview.

I am hesitant to put the drivers on my webpage because of traffic and web-space...

kuroyume0161
05-10-2003, 02:58 PM
They are running two cards it seems.

You are running a GF4 which will let you treat the card as a dual head with Nview.

I am hesitant to put the drivers on my webpage because of traffic and web-space...

As I'm needing them anyway, why don't you send them to me via email as attachment (zipped). Since I run my own server, I have no restrictions on traffic or web-space - well, up to 30GB. ;)

Once I get a link up, I'll reply here with the url.

Kuroyume

VWTornado
05-10-2003, 03:08 PM
why can't you just go to nVidias website and download the 43.xx drivers? i dont understand why you need someone to email them to you. :confused:

Lamont
05-10-2003, 06:17 PM
These are the stereo drivers for 43.XX which have not been released. If you want to run stereo you had to use 30.XX.

Lamont
05-10-2003, 06:19 PM
I sent an e-mail to ya.

kuroyume0161
05-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Okay, here's the URL to download the 43.03 stereo drivers. Let us know how well they work with the 43.xx graphics drivers.

http://www.kuroyumes-developmentzone.com/nvidia.html

Also let me know if there are any problems with the link!

Kuroyume

kuroyume0161
05-15-2003, 11:49 PM
No joy with the 43.03 stereo driver (with 43.03 display driver). Installs okay and can setup, but no stereoscopic display - Ctrl-T'd my fingers off ;). Using Eye-3D Premium glasses. 30.87 still works without any hitches, but can't get these new ones to work.

Also, since my card is a GeForce4 Ti 4600, trying to get the video capture drivers to work (i.e. install without errors). Haven't had luck with WDM 1.22.

So, do any of the NVidia drivers work completely? :(

Kuroyume

Lamont
05-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Funny because I have our theater system set up with those same drivers, and our game engine runs as well. It has to be in full screen mode (true full screen, not maximixed).

Lamont
05-15-2003, 11:54 PM
And I have run these drivers on: GeForce 2/MX, 3 (all version), 4 ( all versions) and on the FX cards 5800 both the 128mb and 256mb versions.

Lamont
05-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Oh and on laptop geforce cards as well.

Also, stereo may not work with certain monitors, I ran into this last week when I was testing systems.

Lamont
05-16-2003, 12:01 AM
Oh, and Kuroyume,

Are you refering to the Japanese rock star Kuroyume?

kuroyume0161
05-16-2003, 12:34 AM
This is full screen - Stereo Setup & Test as well as Medical Test do nothing. Work in 30.87, don't in 43.03. Maybe they've removed certain glass type support in 43.03 - these glasses use a VGA passthrough with a USB connector (?). Just reinstalled 30.87 (again) and stereo works well. If I thought that it would have *any* impact, I'd ***** and moan to NVidia, but my expectations are minimal at best...

As for the WDM vid capture drivers, I think none of them will ever work. The best information to date is that the card must be getting 3.32V or vid capture won't work. My BIOS says that it's at 3.287V. The problem afflicts certain motherboard types (Asus, Abit, and Gigabyte (mine)). The solution is to either up your power supply - mine is 400W so I don't think anything bigger is going to fix it - or do a power hack - no way. Abit has a driver/software fix, but only for Abit mobos. I'm going to try this WDM 1.27 that I downloaded and give up if it doesn't work. Luckily for me, I just ordered a Pinnacle DV500 DVD (w/Adobe Premier 6.5) for only $405. Can't beat that!

All that I can say is that I've the latest BIOS, drivers, motherboard drivers, patches, updates, fixes, etc. available for my system. This just isn't going to work without more input from NVidia (which is very scant).

Kuroyume

kuroyume0161
05-16-2003, 12:39 AM
Sou desu nee! Kuroyume ga daisuki desu.

I like the name because it translates into "Black (kuro) dream (yume)" and they have several songs that are pretty good - Like @ Angel is one of my faves.

Also like Hide, Glay, L'Arc En Ciel, B'z, Luna Sea, and even (gasp) some Kinki Kids stuff. :)

Anyway, as a guitar player and worshipper of the almighty Yngwie J. Malmsteen, I have to appreciate that his biggest fans are the Japanese.

Kuroyume

Lamont
05-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Oh, and make sure you have DirectX updated or it will do nothing.

Lamont
05-16-2003, 07:34 AM
I'm a Dragon Ash, King Gidra and Kick the Can Krew fan... TORIIIICO!!!

kuroyume0161
05-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Final word on the subject. :)

1. The Pinnacle is due to arrive tomorrow (yay!). And, serendipitously, for reasons only to known to the universal consciousness and Neo, putting both monitors onto the GF4 Ti 4600 has now decided to stay as two separate monitors instead of one long monitor. What's the use of a 21" Trinitron flat-screen if the best resolution is limited to the other 17" CRT? 1600x1200x32 is the lowest that I want to ever run it. ;0) So, now I can dispose of the GF4 MX 420 PCI card and put the Pinnacle in its place for video capture.

2. Very glad that I ordered the Pinnacle as, after some internet hunting, have found that my GF4 Ti 4600 does NOT have vidcap capabilities - has the Conexant CX25781 chip which is video-out only. The person who sold this to me lied and screwed me. He assured me that it did have vidcap onboard. Bastard!!!

3. Using RivaTuner and some scripts, have been able to "fool" my system into believing that my GF4 Ti 4600 is a Quadro4 900XL. :) Opens up some nice features in the driver settings and has a definite speed increase in OpenGL and DVD playback. It's like Christmas without spending any money.

4. Have had no luck with the 43.03 stereo drivers, no matter what. I've tried them more than a several times - and, yes, I have DirectX 9.0a. There is nothing on my system that isn't the latest available as I just reinstalled everything a few weeks ago and always get the latest drivers, firmware, software, etc. before doing so. 30.87 are stable, work, and provide enough features to work until nVidia decides to update all of the drivers (or I decide to go for a better video card).

Kuroyume

Lamont
05-21-2003, 02:28 PM
I really can't see why it doesn't work for ya!!

Siempre Peligroso!!

VWTornado
05-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by kuroyume0161
3. Using RivaTuner and some scripts, have been able to "fool" my system into believing that my GF4 Ti 4600 is a Quadro4 900XL. :) Opens up some nice features in the driver settings and has a definite speed increase in OpenGL and DVD playback. It's like Christmas without spending any money.

Kuroyume

Will that work with the GF4 Ti 4200? If so how do I go about doing it...and will it screw up my DirectX games I play?

Thanks

kuroyume0161
05-21-2003, 04:46 PM
SoftQuadro4 (http://www.nvworld.ru/docs/sq4e.html)

Will work on any GeForce4 Ti4x00 as long as it's using an NV25 GPU. According to them, it should work on an NV17 as well, theoretically speaking.

You'll need RivaTuner, the SoftQuadro4 scripts, and, of course, nVidia drivers that will be 'updated' by RivaTuner. Everything necessary is linked on the page given.

It'd be wise to read the instructions before starting and follow them closely. Really, it is a simple process. You must remove any nVidia drivers already installed and not install the drivers using Setup.exe. Use the .inf file when new hardware is found.

My suggestion is to do what I did and save the webpage, download the needed files, and print the webpage for a more ready reference.

BYS

kuroyume0161
05-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Forgot to mention - check out the English Forum at SoftQuadro4's site (at bottom of previously linked webpage). The author notes that the latest version of nVidia drivers that will work stably with SoftQuadro4 are 42.51. Newer versions have "antisoftquadro4" protection which can lead to no optimizations or OpenGL-app crashes.

Suffice it to say, NVidia does not condone SoftQuadro4, despite the authors' attempts to reach a compromise or understanding.

Kuroyume

kuroyume0161
05-21-2003, 05:39 PM
As for DirectX games, I don't know as I don't play any games (any more). The worst that could happen is that after you get SoftQuadro4 to unlock your GF4 Ti4200 to a Quadro4 700 XGL, some games may not work, and you can just uninstall those drivers and go back to your previous untouched ones - no harm done.

After the nVidia drivers are updated by RivaTuner, it would be a good idea to zip them up so that you only have to do the process once. From thereon, the drivers will be ready to "emulate" the Quadro card features and just need .inf installation.

Kuroyume

JuggleNuts
06-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Sorry to dig this up, but your solution might be simple (unless you are already set up this way, then I just don't know. If you have already fixed it, just ignore this). I just got another monitor for my dual head card. Set it all up, and none of the GL worked on the second monitor, none of the menu popups were showing.

I had my 2nd monitor set as an extended desktop, on the left of my main monitor. In the display properties, I moved it over to the right of my main monitor. Works like a charm now. Menus show up, gl works (a tad slow, but it does). Only thing that is bugging me is that the windows don't like to remember that they were closed on the 2nd monitor, and come up in the same position on the main monitor. Oh well, easy enough to drag over.

Lamont
06-20-2003, 11:02 AM
I don't see how they forget where they are.. let me see what settings I have.. brb.

Lamont
06-20-2003, 11:20 AM
The problem is you have DualView enabled. It says as clear as day "Treat multiple outs as SEPERATE display devices". You don't want that. You want them together as one single display.

This is on a single GF4 4200 BTW, and should work with all GF cards 4 and up that have DVI and analog out.

Disable DualView (Display properties>Settings> Advanced> **The name of your videocard tab**> Desktop utilities).

Lightwave will maximize to both monitors if it's done correctly. You can move you panels anywhere and LW will remember.

Lamont
06-20-2003, 11:23 AM
A while back on the old forum a guy was adimant it was a Lightwave "bug".

bedlam
06-23-2003, 03:43 AM
I've used a similar setup with a Geforce 4 Ti4600. No Opengl fun in lightwave working on the second monitor. My card was set up as such that I believe the resolutions were set seperately for each monitor. I could drag windows across each desktop with no problem. After toying with it for a few hours I decided to set the option to allow windows and panels to be split between each monitor. I believe this is what Lamont was talking about.

Once I allowed panels and windows to be split between the monitors instead of snapping to one or the other the opengl worked just fine and both monitors retained their seperate resolutions and windows maximized to a single monitor.

This of course using a single dualview card with one vga and one dvi out on xp professional.

VWTornado
06-23-2003, 09:21 AM
anyone know how game performance is when you run 2 monitors off on video card? I have the GF4 Ti4200 with dual out but haven't tried using both monitors on that card. I have a seperate 32 MB nVidia card for the second monitor at the moment. I guess I'm just afraid that running both monitors on one card will tax the card over time. :o

Lamont
06-23-2003, 10:13 AM
The reason I would suspect of bad OpenGL performance is the screen resolution.

If you want to keep the resolution, buy an FX card w/256mb memory.

JuggleNuts
06-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
anyone know how game performance is when you run 2 monitors off on video card? I have the GF4 Ti4200 with dual out but haven't tried using both monitors on that card. I have a seperate 32 MB nVidia card for the second monitor at the moment. I guess I'm just afraid that running both monitors on one card will tax the card over time. :o

I notice no difference when I play games on my dual head card than if I just had 1 monitor hooked up to it. When I play Diablo 2 I run it in window mode, and depending on what else I'm working on at the time I sometimes need to move it back and forth between my 2 monitors, and there isn't any difference in game speed.

VWTornado
06-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by JuggleNuts
I notice no difference when I play games on my dual head card than if I just had 1 monitor hooked up to it. When I play Diablo 2 I run it in window mode, and depending on what else I'm working on at the time I sometimes need to move it back and forth between my 2 monitors, and there isn't any difference in game speed.

Played anything more extensive than Diablo 2? Something 3D intensive like Unreal 2 or Battlefield 1942? Thanks for the reply BTW.

JuggleNuts
06-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Yep, played BF1942, UT 2K3, GTA Vice City, some others that I can't think of right now. BF1942 runs somewhat slower itself just because of how much RAM the dang game uses, but that's a different matter. Normally I play all my games at 1152x864 or higher, and they're all fluid. Even on my 1.4 ghz machine I didn't notice any difference. Now if you found a game that actually used both monitors, and is very graphic intensive, I'd say there would be a major hit on performance. But the only ones I can recall that do that are some flight sims, and Doom (the original ones).

bedlam
06-23-2003, 09:31 PM
I don't think there was any hit in performance when I tried games on my dualview card. I could still see the apps and windows on the second monitor updating in realtime when I had a game running fullscreen on the other monitor. Nifty alt-tab or windows key and I could switch between the game and the apps, but some games don't play nice with that. My only problem was that some games would actually shift the desktop on the other monitor over a bit when running fullscreen.

hmm but if you're super paranoid about resources you can always end the explorer.exe process or run a minimalist shell. Alt-tab and ctrl-alt-del seem to be coded into windows itself so if you need explorer back just pull up the task manager and run it as a new process. Works pretty smooth here.

VWTornado
06-23-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by bedlam
My only problem was that some games would actually shift the desktop on the other monitor over a bit when running fullscreen.

Yeah a few of my games do that same thing and I'm not even running both monitors on the same card.