PDA

View Full Version : Need fast help with clip map problem.

Johnsongraphix
03-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Everything was going just fine until I went to do a test render- then BAM! LW crashed. My alpha channel was inverted so I was using the Negative Plug-in by Rob Hood. When I reopened and checked, the Negative plug-in was changed to Negative-LI (or something like that) so I unchecked it. I went back into photo shop and inverted all my alpha channels, reloaded the images, created new instances, and now i'm all out of whack!
My trees are solid white as if affected by the alpha. The clip maps are cliping but the image is white.
Are my settings wrong?
What is this happening?
Should I create seperate alpha jpegs?
Are my images too big?
Why did LW crash?
Confused,
Ryan

joschy
03-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Hello Johnsongraphix,
Ive had for some times a similar problem with clipmaps and found out this:
disable the mipmap settings for your images. dont know why, but this solved my problems with the clipmappings.
Can you show the source settings for your images?

good luck,
joschy

Johnsongraphix
03-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the reply Joschy!
I tried turning off mipmap quality, and still no luck. Maybe my settings are still off. I've been trying a lot of different things, still no luck.

tischbein3
03-23-2005, 09:47 AM
well it was a bit difficult to get it...

So as far as I understand:
you use two images: one clip map and one for texturing.
The clip map stuff is fine
The texture map don't show up.

Looking at your screenshot, I realise you got a 32bit (alpha included) image for texturing. So it seems you should turn alpha of for the color image.

Johnsongraphix
03-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I am using a single image file (tga) for texturing and alpha channel. An RGBA i guess. I'm using the original file as a texture, then i am creating an instance (duplicate?) file in LW using it as an alpha only.
I must be approaching this wrong.
Should i create two instances? Am I tring to make this easier than it really is?
I thought clip maps were simple and pretty straight forward to understand,
I guess not.
Thanks,
Ryan

tischbein3
03-23-2005, 10:33 AM
I am using a single image file (tga) for texturing and alpha channel. An RGBA i guess. I'm using the original file as a texture, then i am creating an instance (duplicate?) file in LW using it as an alpha only.
I must be approaching this wrong.
Should i create two instances? Am I tring to make this easier than it really is?
I thought clip maps were simple and pretty straight forward to understand,
I guess not.
Thanks,
Ryan

Nothing wrong, clip maps are easy, but RGBA can be a trouble maker sometimes...as you experienced.
I normaly ignore 32bit or RGBA because the 10% of the files I ran into trouble is 10% too much. so I use a seperate 8bit file format instead.... but this is a personal preference.

For checking out if this is the source of the problem, I would say yes: do it with a second instance. (Original file untouched, one instance with alpha only the other
only rgb)

chris

Johnsongraphix
03-23-2005, 10:44 AM
This is what im getting.

tischbein3
03-23-2005, 10:47 AM
So no clip mapping.

Could you post a screenshot of the clipmap texture panel ?

thanks

Johnsongraphix
03-23-2005, 10:57 AM
this is what i have.

tischbein3
03-23-2005, 11:01 AM
blending mode must be normal.
(I recomend you to take a good look into the manual on textur layer blending modes)

hope this helped.

Johnsongraphix
03-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I created two instances of the images and checked my blending modes and I'm back on track. I also unchecked mipmap quality to off.
Thank you all for your help. This discussion forum has been the cats meow for me.
content and happy,
Ryan

If there is a more simple solution I would love to hear it. though. this is sufficent for now,
Thanks Again!!