PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs Config backup folder?

DeanB92
03-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Help! :confused:

I made a folder in my Lightwave 8 directory called "Configs".
I changed the target name to C:\Program Files\Lightwave [8]\programs\modeler.exe -cC:\Lightwave\Configs
Then I made all the configurations to Modeler and Layout and then closed all the programs and when I opened them back up, nothing was saved!
Please Help

DeanB92

MonroePoteet
03-22-2005, 05:24 PM
If you created your Configs subfolder under the C:\Program Files\Lightwave [8]\ folder, you'll need to specify that on the -c command-line qualifier rather than the C:\Lightwave\Configs\ you indicated in the original post. Sorry if I'm missing something.

I suspect by specifying a non-existent folder on the -c qualifier, you've eliminated the loading of any startup/saved configuration, so LW takes whatever its defaults are for all parameters.

mTp

WCameron
03-22-2005, 09:30 PM
If you created your Configs subfolder under the C:\Program Files\Lightwave [8]\ folder, you'll need to specify that on the -c command-line qualifier rather than the C:\Lightwave\Configs\ you indicated in the original post. Sorry if I'm missing something.

I suspect by specifying a non-existent folder on the -c qualifier, you've eliminated the loading of any startup/saved configuration, so LW takes whatever its defaults are for all parameters.

mTp

because theres a space between Lightwave and [8] you need quote marks -

"C:\LightWave [8]\Programs\lightwav.exe" -c"C:\lightwave [8]\configs"

- Will.

DeanB92
03-23-2005, 05:18 AM
Thank You

DeanB92

DeanB92
03-23-2005, 06:28 AM
I made a Configs Folder and put it in my Lightwave Directory.
Right Clicked shortcut on desktop. Clicked Properties.

In the target area I have:
"C:\Program Files\Lightwave [8]\Programs\modeler.exe" -c"C:\Program Files\Lightwave [8]\Configs"

Now when I open Lightwave, half my buttons are missing on the left panel.
And when I go to edit plugins, there are only 2 listed.

I tried taking out program files from the second string and that restored everything but now I'm back to it not saving my config again.

I can't get past page 3 Vol. 1 of Jonny's book because of this.
Can someone please get me up and running?

Thank you ever so much
DeanB92

Matt
03-23-2005, 01:12 PM
If you've created the folder and specified that to be your config folder, when you run LightWave (or Modeler) it will be forced to generate default config files in the absence of any.

You will have to re-scan your plugins / lscript folders and re-build any custom menus you've edited.

Or ...

Simply copy your old configs from (usually):

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME

Then it will use those config files.

Hope that made sense.

Matt

DeanB92
03-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks Matt,
Right now in Layout, one of my windows I'm to set to
Front Face Wire Frame but it always reverts back to Textured Shaded Solid
no matter what I do.

In Modeler, everything works now except I can't get the new plugins to load.
I opened the edit plugins window and clicked scan directory and it says found 14 plugins in 412 files. Click OK
Opened config menu and made a Plugs tab
dragged the additional tab to plugs and there is nothing there.
It worked the first 10 times I did it but now nothing.

Please any Ideas?
DeanB92