PDA

View Full Version : Maya V's Lightwave....Which is best

Anoo
04-20-2003, 04:38 PM
I am new to 3D and am considering purchasing either LW or Maya complete mainly for Modelling organic models and wanted some opinions from lightwave users as to which is best for the job and why? Thanks for any advice.

mix
04-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Lightwaves the best for everything, nothing can beat it, its the king of 3D, there is none better, don't bother looking at any thing els, you want Lightwave.

OK newtek, can I have my LW 7.5c update now?.:D

hrgiger
04-20-2003, 10:07 PM
You can't really ask a question like that in a Lightwave forum and expect an objective answer. Most people are going to tell you Lightwave.

I can tell you this though. First of all, Lightwave is cheaper to buy and cheaper to upgrade. That's good enough for me.
I can also tell you that from what I understand, I've heard that a lot of people who use both LW and Maya do so because they like the modeling better in Lightwave. In fact, I've heard quite a bit of people buying Lightwave simply for it's modeler and then using another program to animate and/or render with. Not that you can't animate or render in LW because Lightwave's renders have always been good, especially for an out of the box renderer.

Freak
04-21-2003, 04:30 AM
They are getting more even by the day....

Maya will take you longer to learn, and won't allow unlimited render nodes. LW would also have one of the best Modelers around.

Maya has advantages in Animation, and programability,
and most likely some advantages in Games production.
Usually the best comes from Maya when you have a team of Programmers and Mel Scripters to make it do what you want.

I'd still choose LW, as the better Modeler....
And still better overall and way better for freelancers or small business type users.

My $.20

Mylenium
04-21-2003, 05:51 AM
To Freak:

Sorry, but you're wrong. With one Maya license you can have up to 9999 render nodes - pretty much the same as with LW (setting up the floating licenses is the only thing that costs some extra effort).

To HRGiger:

Modeling in LW is not generally superior to Maya. Low level acces to certain things in Maya is just a bit awkward (you have to use the attribute and set editors). Also some polygonal tools in Maya do not always work as expected. That's why people like me do a lot of modeling in LW. For animation Maya often is the better choice when it comes to Dynamics, Particles, Deformers etc. Also now you get Mental Ray which is still the best renderer out there.

To Anoo:

Go for LW! If you want to do a lot of organic modeling like faces, humans and animals you wont be happy with Maya Complete. SubDs are for Maya Unlimited only.

Mylenium

TyVole
04-21-2003, 05:57 AM
SubDs are for Maya Unlimited only.

SubDs are now part of Maya Complete.

mattclary
04-21-2003, 07:01 AM
The biggest factor for me is the interface. LightWave's interface is pretty much the only one I can stomach. I think it's because I used to use AutoCAD for DOS, which had a text based menu system. Text just works for my brain better. I suggest you get the demo for each and see which you prefer. Both packages will have advantages and disadvantages, but if you are comfortable enough with the package, you'll find a way around the problem areas.

lunarcamel
04-21-2003, 09:22 AM
In my opinion they both have their own advantages.

I like LW for polygonal modeling but for surfacing/textures Maya has LW beat. Actually Maya has LW beat with the animation tools and the overall interface in my opinion. And it doesn't come with lots of "lite" versions of plugins ::hint hint::

At the end of the day though - it's LW for me :)

Mylenium
04-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Hi TiVole,

I think not. Perhaps you mean Smooth Proxy? They actually work like LW's MetaNURBS but are not SubDs in Maya's own sense. Would have to check with A|W for confirmation, though. Doesn't matter much to me - I 've got Unlimited.

Mylenium

TyVole
04-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Maya Complete, at one time, did not include SubDs, but it does now. Check their Web site.

dickagm
04-21-2003, 10:28 AM
maya complete costs 2x lightwave. How do you think? for what is that cost. I think that maya is more flexible with it's interface. It is more artist friendly, (you don't need technical graduation to use) :)
with polygonal modeling and artisan brush you can make everythyng like you work with clay for very short time.
lightwave has very good render but new maya is shipping wit mental ray.