PDA

View Full Version : Recording audio while playing back audio?

davechalmers
03-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi there,

Here is a question that I have regarding the use of the record to disk feature on the Tricaster.

I understand that you can record the main video and audio output to HD, which is a nice feature.

If you are doing a live gig, then typically you will want to hook up an input from the PA mixer to record the presenters mics while they are speaking etc. BUT you also want to feed the tricaster audio out to the main PA, so you can send the audio from any DDR clips to the main PA for playing to the audience.

Trouble is that if you have the line inputs selected (for the recording) and you also select the DDR audio to play and the guy at the PA mixer turns up his input channels from the tricaster you will be feeding him BOTH the DDR audio AND the line inputs that are coming from him in the first place, which he may definitely NOT want booming out the PA at that point.

So... is there any way to record the line inputs and the DDR audio to disk but NOT play the line inputs out to the audio outputs?

i.e. a 'route line inputs only to record' checkbox I guess?

Sorry if this is a bit convoluted - read it twice and you'll get what I mean.
It would be a shame if you cannot simultaneously playback audio, while also recording different audio to disk.

Thanks

Dave Chalmers
Scotland
UK

John Perkins
03-23-2005, 10:35 AM
I just tried it and I can't make it work. It records the feedback.

That is a good feature request though.

jcupp
03-23-2005, 12:39 PM
What you really need in this case is a VT[4] not a TriCaster. But that being said here is a workaround:

1) Connect the headphone out of the Tricaster to an input on your house mixer.

2) Solo the VCR (DDR) input on the TriCaster mixer, this will send (only) the VCR audio to the headphone jack and therfore on to the house mixer.

3) Record the normal Tricaster lin- in which should now include the VCR audio.

By the way this is un-tested so I'll try to test this when I get a chance but it should work.

jcupp
03-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Tested this setup and it does indeed work, It's just like the Alt3/4 bus thing on a Mackie 2 bus mixer.

davechalmers
03-25-2005, 10:13 AM
That's a good workaround Jeff, but of course not ideal as you lose the ability to preview audio, for one thing.

Ultimately it would still be good to have a 'send line-in to record only' option for this kind of setup.

If anyone is reading and wants to add this to the big feature list for Tricaster 1.5 (or 1.0.1??) that would be good.

P.S. I'm trying really hard NOT to need a VT[4] by the way. :)

Thanks

Dave Chalmers

ted
03-25-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm really saying this toung-in-cheek so bear with me...

If ya want VT capabilities, buy a VT! :p

I've been waiting to use that on the first person saying the Tricaster would be perfect if ya start adding this and that...
OK, now I've done it. Back to your feature request. ;)

jcupp
03-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I agree. The whole point of the TriCaster is to NOT have a whole bunch of sophisticated features that make it hard for the non- video guy to use.

You feed audio in, turn it up on the mixer and it goes out the out. Anything that complicates this basic function is a bad idea for this product. But if someone wants to use the headphone-out along with the solo feature to hack a second audio bus in the thing to do something tricky that's cool but let's not mess up the fool proofness.

Now if NewTek want's to make a TriCaster Pro that is just a VT[4] with only the three inputs and the whole VT software package - I could sell those. I'm also willing to install a VT[4] into a Shuttle and you could then drag along an SX-84 (The OctaCaster!) and your only limitation is going to be disk space. I may do this for a mobile demo system and save my back. :)

Paul Lara
03-28-2005, 12:03 PM
...is there any way to record the line inputs and the DDR audio to disk but NOT play the line inputs out to the audio outputs?

Dave,
That is a feature already present on NewTek's VT[4] Audio Mixer, using the Input Pass Thru function. This advanced capability is possible, however. ;)

TriCaster features a headphone out jack, and you can set it up thusly:
Set the VCR for SOLO on the audio mixer, and then send that headphone line signal to the house board, and tell the audio guy not to send this signal back to you!

Almost stumped me on that one, Dave!! ;)