PDA

View Full Version : Particle MakePaths

aurora
03-22-2005, 09:17 AM
One of the great new features in LW8 is the ability to take a particle and map its path to keyframes using the MakePath 'Command' in EditFX. But what do you do if you have several hundred to several thousand particles you want to create keyframed paths for? Obviously stepping through each particle and and creating it by hand would take hours and hours and --- Does anybody know of a faster way of doing this. Or if its possible to script this or expose it via the SDK? I'm looking but not seeing.

badllarma
03-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Create a path using wind FX ??

faulknermano
03-22-2005, 05:21 PM
this may not be the one you're looking for, but you can try http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/lscripts/PFX2DisplacementDM.zip

that one enables you to deform your particles using bones (or any displacement plug) effectively creating a path or direction for your particles.

there are limitations, however, and they're documented along with it.

aurora
03-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys, actually I'm already using both of those techniques in different parts of this sim. What I'm really after is just an automatic way to make paths for each particle. You can do it one individually with EditFX I just wanted to do it quickly for all particles.
Basically I have a sphere where the particles are emitted from the object, shoot out and then gravity pulls them back in. I had created the effect exatcly the way I wanted it except it was way to fast. So by creating the paths I'm able to stretch the timeframe out without loosing the exact effect I created.

badllarma
03-23-2005, 08:20 AM
aurora do you have Aura? You could enter the frames you have already and use it's time stretch function to make it last longer, depending on how long you want it that is it may be enough for you.
As Aura unlike moet of the other packages actually creates the new tweens between the orginal frames rather that stretch the ones it has. May do the job though. :)

Dodgy
03-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Save the motion and use the playback speed in the File tab of Pfx :)

faulknermano
03-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Save the motion and use the playback speed in the File tab of Pfx :)

an envelope on this parameter would be great, too. :)

Abigor
11-16-2006, 08:40 AM
aurora... did you ever get an answer to this problem?

i just started a task that might need exactly what you were asking for....

the shot involves a box of stickers being dumped out from a roof top, and thousands of bumper stickers floating away. i thought if i could use a particle emitter to create the motion, and save the path for each particle, then i could attach a sticker to each particles path and have it deform to the path, so it looks like its whirling thru the air (assuming this sort of path deformation is possible... "alight to path"?)

any idea guys?

aurora
11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
I did find a way to deal with the problem. For this particluar project I just rendered the praticles out as a seperate pass, and then dealt with the timing in Fusion. I then had a second project that was pretty much simular but that time I new how I wanted all the particles to behave mathmatically so I wrote a quick plugin to create the particles and their motions.

SplineGod
11-16-2006, 11:22 PM
create a null, apply motion baker to it with the proper settings.
Use FXLinker to clone that null to your particles. It will also clone motion baker for each null so that the motion for each null is baked. Ive tried it and it works. :)

faulknermano
11-19-2006, 07:11 PM
once i made a mistake and rendered my scene in 60fps. i found this a useful technique to make retiming in post better.

nickdigital
06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
create a null, apply motion baker to it with the proper settings.
Use FXLinker to clone that null to your particles. It will also clone motion baker for each null so that the motion for each null is baked. Ive tried it and it works. :)

Does this technique work? The cloned nulls with Motion Baker don't bake their keyframes. I have to re-add Motion Baker manually.

[Edit]
Null with FXLink, Clone, use MF KeyStove is a reasonable workaround.