PDA

View Full Version : Is It possible?

AlphaBeta
04-20-2003, 02:59 PM
I need your opinons on something...

There is a character animation competition coming up and my media arts teacher decided to enter me when she saw that I knew 3D animation (im in gr 11).

So I accepted this and then I found out that everything is done on location. This means that me and my partner have to draw a storyboard, model a character, texture him, rig him, animate him, render him and put it all together in a time span of 8:00 am - 3:00 pm.

There is no official saying on how long the final animation has to be and Im up against 6 other schools.

The only two apps I can use is Lightwave and adobe premiere.

What do you guys think about this...?? Is it possible to do an animation of a character in 7 hours?

Do you guys have tips?

P.S : we will be given a theme at the beginning of the competition and also no plug ins are allowed.

Please give me some feedback and some thoughts/tips.

Elmar Moelzer
04-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Yeah, it is possible, but I would not be able to do it.
I saw something like that once, but it was over a longer timeframe (48 hours). The resulting anims were not really good and rather short. I would really try to take the time until then to prepare myself by finding a workflow that will help you get things done in time. I.e you could try to find out how long it is going to take you to do modeling of a simple character and some props, how long you usually take to rigg a character etc...
This will help you a lot then.
Still it is a very short timeframe and I dont think any of the competing artists is going to get something exceptional going within this timeframe.
CU
Elmar

AlphaBeta
04-20-2003, 03:16 PM
another thing is thatyou get to have your own choice of 3d software. So do you guys think that people who may use maya or 3dstudiomax would be able to work faster or is it basically the same thing as lightwave?

meatycheesyboy
04-20-2003, 04:01 PM
I don't think anyone that is using any other program whether its Maya, Max, Houdini, etc. has any advantage over anyone else.

What I would do is this, since you know the time limit and what's required, do as much before hand as you possible can to prepare. Think of the rough story and have a character in mind so that you can whip through the storyboarding portion relatively quickly. And make sure your story doesn't involve anyhting that'll make rendering too long like hypervoxels or volume lights, etc.. Also, make sure your set will be very minimal as well. It may not sound like you can do much with these guidlines but you'd be amazed at what can be done with a basic stick figure, a white floor and a ball or a box.

LW_Will
04-21-2003, 01:39 AM
I wouldn't do it.

I'd tell your teacher that you are an artist and don't do dog and pony tricks for the tourist crowd...

But, she prolly has you by the shorts, so...

I would get to know EVERYTHING about making a character. EVERYTHING. Bones, rigging, character design... I'd work so hard that I could rig a chacter in half an hour... I think that Larry Shultz can rig a character in that amount of time.

Then, I'd cheat. ;-)

I'd make plans with your buddy as to how you are going to make storyboards, and generally how your character is going to look. You also have to decide if you are going to dazzle them with a character design or blow them away with your motions...

I'd go for a long session with the character. Keep the design simple and really get into the animation. Try several motions with your proto-rig and try and make them the best you can!

And... show us your work when you win! (Or even if you don't!)

Good luck!

SplineGod
04-21-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Adam Bierylo
I need your opinons on something...

There is a character animation competition coming up and my media arts teacher decided to enter me when she saw that I knew 3D animation (im in gr 11).

So I accepted this and then I found out that everything is done on location. This means that me and my partner have to draw a storyboard, model a character, texture him, rig him, animate him, render him and put it all together in a time span of 8:00 am - 3:00 pm.

There is no official saying on how long the final animation has to be and Im up against 6 other schools.

The only two apps I can use is Lightwave and adobe premiere.

What do you guys think about this...?? Is it possible to do an animation of a character in 7 hours?

Do you guys have tips?

P.S : we will be given a theme at the beginning of the competition and also no plug ins are allowed.

Please give me some feedback and some thoughts/tips.
Its totally possible to do. Its easier if you do a VERY simple character, a non human character such as animating a sack of flour, coke can etc or a segmented character made of discreet parts. The simpler the character the easier it is to rig. You can use bones, or fewer bones in the coke can example or no bones in the segmented character. I wouldnt even really bothering to texture it unless its simply procedurals or gradients. Spend the rest of the time animating it. The less limbs you have to animate the easier it will be.

Rory_L
04-21-2003, 07:03 AM
It`s never too soon to learn the truth about impossible deadlines: I say go for it! :D Just completing the project in time will give you such a sense of satisfaction it won`t matter if you don`t actually win!

Best of luck!

R

mattclary
04-21-2003, 10:26 AM
I kinda like the cheating idea. Do it ahead of time and burn it to CD. ;)

AlphaBeta
04-21-2003, 10:35 AM
oh yeah did i meantion that the contest is on the 24th?

mattclary
04-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Cool, you have 2 days and 7 hours! :cool:

meatycheesyboy
04-21-2003, 11:33 AM
I'm a little confused about a few things. How is the software and hardware being provided? Do you just bring your own computer with your own software? If that's the case, what if you've got a P4 1.4GHZ box and the competition has P4 3.0 Ghz boxes? Don't they have a clear and unfair advamtage when it comes to rendering?

AlphaBeta
04-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah you do bring your own computer or you can get one from the school.... Thats ok in my case cuz Ive got a fairly good rig...

2.53 Ghz P4
1.5 Gb DDr
Radeon 9700 pro

And yeah the software can be provided by the school or you can bring your own....It doesnt even limit you to the amount of software you can bring..

The computer hardware part should not be a problem for me....rendering shouldnt take too long...

Oh and I will probably not do a human character....I'll be cheap and model a slug or something like that...It will be easy to do and I will be able to have some nice environments int he time I save and the final product will be longer.....thanx for all the tips and support guys.....

More tips/suggestions/ comments would be appreciated.

meatycheesyboy
04-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Quote:

And yeah the software can be provided by the school or you can bring your own....

:End Quote

So if I'm in the contest and I say "hey school, I don't have software, I need XSI, Maya and Sound Forge" they'll provide it? Or will they just kick you down a copy of Blender?

Sorry for all the questions, this contest just doesn't sound very well thought out to me.

3danim8d
04-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Is this related to the SkillsUSA-VICA Competiton?

http://www.skillsusa.org/

mattclary
04-22-2003, 05:55 AM
Man, it really p*sses me off that my high school sucked so bad! I can't believe there are actually schools out there that teach animation, story-boarding, etc... :( Of course the going computer tech at the time was the TRS 80, but drafting would have been cool too and well within the technology limits of the day.

AlphaBeta
04-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Quote:

So if I'm in the contest and I say "hey school, I don't have software, I need XSI, Maya and Sound Forge" they'll provide it? Or will they just kick you down a copy of Blender?

End Quote

Well it has to be reasonable, and since a school in the area also had lightwave they could have borrowed it from them since it is the same board of education.....

The school would not go out and buy maya because that is way to espensive but lightwave is like 600 dollars for the student so thats what they would get.....The people who host the contest do not care how you get the software as long as it is not pirated and as long as you have a liscence to it. Therefore it is up to the school to decide if they want to buy the software for you, they are not obligated to, but If I didnt already own lightwave, I could probably have gotten myself a free copy ;)

Oh and it is sort of like the Skills USA thing except it is in Ontario Canada and it is a local competition for now...The winner moves on to Provincial and than nationals......I got 2 days left.....wish me luck

AlphaBeta
04-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Guys this is urgent....In MD, how do I use it so that the charcter (target) deforms when I move it....
I can do it that when gravity is enabled it moves across, but I cannot move the object manually and still make it deform to the MD settings ....HELP THIS IS URGENT!!!!

AlphaBeta
04-23-2003, 12:04 PM
n/m I think I found it

AlphaBeta
04-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Hey everyone I just wanted to let you all know how it went in the competition....

Well I won GOLD!!!!!! yup 1st place :D

It was insane we had 7 hours to do the animation and so when we started about half an hour into it, the morph mixer started to crash the whole program (lightwave ofcourse) and so we got set back 2 hours because of this!!! so pretty much everyone else had 7 hours to do theirs while mine was done in 5 hours....phew..... still won gold though, Im very happy...

Now i get to move onto provincials in Kitchener, Ontario....I cant wait...

Thanks for all the input you guys gave me I apreciate it....Oh and if anyone wants to see the video tell me and I'll try to post it.....Just make sure you remember that EVERYTHING was done within 5 hours so the final product is not that great!

lardbros
04-24-2003, 08:11 PM
What do you mean IF anyone wants to see it???

Surely, if its been talked about and worried about sooo much EVERYONE will want to see what you managed in 7 hours!!

I'll tell you what i can manage in 7 hours, thats if i'm out of bed already, i could probably make a box (with 8 polys on each side) move horizontally across the ground plane, and then, maybe, all the way back again!

JUST POST IT PLEEEEASE! I hope it is a slug, that would be pretty cool!

AlphaBeta
04-25-2003, 11:40 AM
yup it is a slug, a slug and a worm, and right now im at school so when i get home i will try to get it on......oh and it was done in 4.5 hours......hope you guys will like it...I'll try to get it on tonight

AlphaBeta
05-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Ok This is fairly postponed but I finally got some time to post the video....lol It is pretty bad and I hope none of you peole judge me on it but remember I had to do everything in a span of 5 hours!!

The first hour alone was used up for storyboarding (which was necessary and also got judged)

well anyways...in those five hours.... I had to

Think of a story that went with the given them "winning gold"

Make up characters and draw them in 3 views (top...side....front)

Model the characters and the environment

Texture everything (obvious that some are presets....the texturing is fairly poor)

Rig the character and make morphs and such.....

Animate the characters to what the story board said

Finally I had to render all the files out and put them together.......

Im warning you....the final product is fairly crappy....but others were way worst and this was the gold winner........

also the blood is very very cheesy because I didnt have time to tinker with the gravity and so it came out fairly terrible but w/e.....

LOL....tell me what you think...remember everything mentioned was done in 5 hours on location........

AlphaBeta
05-12-2003, 10:30 PM
here is the video file

AlphaBeta
05-12-2003, 10:51 PM
*sigh* another try

hmmm....why isnt it loading?

jin choung
05-13-2003, 12:10 AM
think MINIMUM SCOPE - MAXIMUM IMPACT.

it's actually a tremendously valuable teaching exercise - it teaches the ability to work fast, accurately and think on your feet.

it also necessitates the understanding and exercise of a tremendously valuable principle that governs everything from math and science to art: ECONOMY. in science and philosophy, it can be referred to as OCCAM'S RAZOR. in art, it can best be stated as:

ECONOMY OF EXPRESSION. nothing goes in unless it contributes to the ultimate aim. not one poly or model is sculpted unless it's in the shot. nothing is INCIDENTAL - there's simply no time or space for it. why is it red? have a reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------

practically speaking, you can either do a lot of shoddy or a little gem. most will probably try to make an epic star wars battle. but in seven hours, they'll probably have a pretty good sequence of cubes firing spheres at each other.

make the lil gem.

and since premiere is allowed, think about the impact of EDITING. lots of filmic principles revolve around juxtaposing and you can get a lotta bang for quite a little buck.

one or two characters. a central idea that you want to express. a simple set. possibly and simplified and stylized look to boot.

work out the story before hand and break it down in your head shot for shot.

and by all means - do it! it sounds awesomely fun! and see if there are any cute girls there - cuz if there's a cute girl that's into lw and premiere, do you have any doubt that she'll be a pretty good match for ya?!

good luck. have FUN. and although i think it is impossible to heed this bit of wisdom when you ARE young, i'll try anyway - enjoy your youth and revel in your energy now while you have it. it is indeed fleeting and one day, you will be old.

jin

WizCraker
05-13-2003, 03:29 AM
Adam,...

You have to link to the animation using an external link to a webserver. If you are having trouble with yours not working I have a mirror site that I will let you use to upload the animation to so you can link to it.

FTP site is imagereality.org

User: mirror
Pass: QFn3S556

This will log you into the mirror site.

[list=1]
Click on the Directory Newtek
Next Click on the Directory you would like to upload to. i.e. Animations.
Next Upload your File
[/list=1]

After the upload is complete you will have to refrence using:
www.imagereality.org/~mirror/Newtek/<directory you put File in>/<FileName>

For an example I have uploaded an Image, so the link would be:
www.imagereality.org/~mirror/Newtek/Images/Example.jpg (http://www.imagereality.org/~mirror/Newtek/Images/Example.jpg)

Of course the "http://" would be there but for some reason there is a limit on this forum on how long the link text can be to show the full address.

Also the password will be changing every few weeks to prevent abuse by people using it for other than the allowed purpose.

The Rules
[list=1]

Do Not delete directories
Do Not upload anything illegal.
Do Not use this account as a 0 Day Dump*
Do Not make directories
Do Not upload Super Large Files**
Do Not upload any malicious code [i.e. tojan, virus]
This Account will be Monitored Daily
Over time files will be deleted to make room for newer files
Rules will be added when needed

[/list=1]

* 0 Day Dumps are distribution servers for freshly Cracked software and Ripped DVD Movies.

** Any File to large for a 56k user to download [usually for animations]. If this is violated Moderators will compress the file to a smaller file size. Ideal size should be under 10 MB, and if there is audio under 20 MB. For animations Files should be around the size of 480x256, This is a good size for High Quality small file. Images that exceed the 20 MB file limit need to be approved by the Moderators, you can contact them at this Email ([email protected]).

If the Rules are violated repeatly the account will be disabled. This is a free service for the community to use. While logged in to the account you are allowed to browse the other directories to download their contents if you choose.

AlphaBeta
05-13-2003, 01:11 PM
yeah where exactly do I type in the username and password......all I see is enter buttona nd a click here to continue...and the click here to continue doesnt work