PDA

View Full Version : best, quickest, easiest way to get lw camera into maya

jin choung
03-21-2005, 09:40 PM
howdy fellows,

it's been a while!

still alive and kicking!

dang website logged me out even! and i forgot my username password combo to boot!

as incomprehensible as it would have been for me to conceive of even a year ago, i have discovered that life has demands apart from computer graphics! :eek:

anyhoo, i'm still makin' a living and so to the point:

what's the quickest way to get lw camera into maya? the closest i've come to so far is .fbx but it ends up screwing up the ROTATIONS and/or translation.... rots or trans seem to be working well independently but not in relation to one another....

also seems to ignore FOV....

of all the different kinds of file translations, this seems to be an easy one so if anyone's got any leads, i'd appreciate it.

thanks much and hope alla y'all lw folk are hanging in there and kicking and screaming still.

jin

Red_Oddity
03-22-2005, 02:05 AM
Personally i haven't had much problems using FBX, BUT, what you should keep in mind is that Maya somehow interprets splines somewhat different than LW, so, i advise you to bake your Camera's motion channels...

We've used this way of working for a lot of Maya LW crossbreed projects, and never had much problems (other than the usual filmback problems)

faulknermano
03-28-2005, 12:52 AM
jin,

http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/Maya2LW.html

i've just included an feature that allows you to export LW motion and camera data into a proprietary M2L file and subsequently apply that M2L file into a Maya object. please read the release notes carefully. i have not had time to do any "formal" documentation.