PDA

View Full Version : LW and Tiger

sjon
03-21-2005, 05:15 PM
It looks like we will be seeing Tiger (OS 11) in a month or so. I wonder if anyone at Newtek has had a chance to check out the Mac LW on Tiger and are there any problems we should be aware of?

Captain Obvious
03-22-2005, 01:24 AM
A small nitpick... Tiger is 10.4, not 11. Anyway, chances are there won't be any serious issues. It is a big upgrade, but it doesn't really change the way Lightwave works.

sjon
03-22-2005, 02:02 AM
You're right, just thinking a little too far ahead. I was just wondering if Core Image would speed up any rendering on a G5. It's supposed to be more hardware dependent.

Captain Obvious
03-22-2005, 02:46 AM
Core Image and Video can do precisely nothing to speed up rendering, as such... It can, however, greatly speed up Corona or Bloom or whatever you want to use... Post effects.

harlan
03-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Above and beyond the CoreData features of Tiger, there are other aspects which are equally desired that could "benefit" LW's performance (ie: 64bit), but for some reason the LW team is more focused on the Windows 64bit development - even though the Apple users have had 64bit capability nearly a year in advance of the Windows users.

With the recent announcement of the LW64 beta for WinOS and the fact that both platforms already have shipping 64bit hardware, and both platforms already have 64bit beta or optimized OSes, it begs the question as to why the lack of Mac LW64 development.

Quit dickin around with Codewarrior and switch over to XCode already... sheeeeesh!!! :)

wacom
03-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Chuck or someone at NewTek said that there was going to be a Mac 64bit version?

toby
03-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Yes he did -

He also reminded us that Windows has had a 64 bit OS for a while and that they had been testing a 64 bit version before Apple offered 64 bit systems, I guess MS just had no interest in bringing it to desktops by the time Apple did. I guess we have to wait for another port again.

Scazzino
03-25-2005, 01:00 PM
A major stumbling block is that the 64bit support in Mac OS X so far will only be for command line processes. The UI is 32bit only. You could have a 32bit GUI communicating with a 64bit command line rendering process, but then layout would need to be split in two, with the rendering portion separated from the GUI... Sounds like much more work than they may be able to accomplish at the moment... I think the current GUI is pretty tightly intertwined with the rest of LightWave...

But it would be very cool, a nice new modern GUI front end for a 64 bit command line renderer that could run on multiple CPUs on an XGrid like network...

-MikeS

parm
03-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Chuck or someone at NewTek said that there was going to be a Mac 64bit version?

If anyone wants to read it for themselves its on page 5 of this section of the forum:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=31297&highlight=Mac

Sooner or later, I hope everything related to Graphic arts will be coded on the Mac platform FIRST, and then ported to others. As for spreadsheets and office accountancy packages. Microsoft can keep those.

Parm

Captain Obvious
03-26-2005, 10:56 AM
A major stumbling block is that the 64bit support in Mac OS X so far will only be for command line processes. The UI is 32bit only. You could have a 32bit GUI communicating with a 64bit command line rendering process, but then layout would need to be split in two, with the rendering portion separated from the GUI... Sounds like much more work than they may be able to accomplish at the moment... I think the current GUI is pretty tightly intertwined with the rest of LightWave...
Well, technically, it's just that the high-level APIs, like Cocoa and Carbon, aren't 64-bit. There is nothing that says you can't make your own custom GUI using no real APIs (for example, just an interactive OpenGL view, or something), and have it fully 64-bit. It would be a lot of work, though.

But it would be very cool, a nice new modern GUI front end for a 64 bit command line renderer that could run on multiple CPUs on an XGrid like network...
If Lightwave actually used Xgrid, it would be sooo awesome.

jahn
03-27-2005, 07:24 AM
i am a lw user for years and still so.
but maya is giving more support and seems to work better with apple.
with the addition of renderman (in a few months possibly first release will be for mac os x) to the maya, looks like maya will be the one for osx.

i wish lw has a better mac support.

lasco
03-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Anyway, chances are there won't be any serious issues. It is a big upgrade, but it doesn't really change the way Lightwave works.

Not so sure…

While there were no displaying issues under 10.2,
with OS 10.3 appeared a VERY SERIOUS Open GL display BUG
that many of us had to deal with without any help, support or even
simply listening from Newtek for almost a whole year, until LW 8 was released !

I did not upgrade to LW 8 yet and still have issues with the graph editor which
is just unusable on my I-book (OS 10.3) because the Layout crashes as soon
as I click on any keyframe whithin it…

So let's just wait and hope but not be sure of anything…

Captain Obvious
03-27-2005, 05:06 PM
I'll most likely get a chacne to play around with Lightwave 8.2 in Tiger tomorrow, so I'll let you know if I encounter any terrible bugs. Nothing too specific, though, what with NDAs and all... just whether or not it works.

Captain Obvious
03-29-2005, 05:13 AM
Well, it seems to be working. I didn't even have to reinstall it despite running Tiger from a different hard drive. All I did was copy a framework Lightwave needs from the old /Library/Frameworks to the new one and start it. Awesome. I'm sure it's not faster in the least, but that's not really to be expected.