PDA

View Full Version : Light GUI problem

Panikos
03-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Except from the tiny button in the Light Properties panel that its hard to find ...

I have two lights in the scene with the same name (Light)
On the Current Item Bar I can read Light(1) and Light(2)
While I press the up/down arrow keys and change the selected light, I have the Light Properties Panel open, I can see the difference in settings for the two lights, but the Light name there doesnt follow the same naming convention as the Current Item Bar.
This is very confusing.

:eek:

evenflcw
03-21-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't like this either.

Sadly, the light panel isn't the only place that is disregarding the use of "the automatic parentheses". The new bone tools copy, mirror and rename hierarchy also doesn't treat them in the best manner (instead of just disregarding them completely they include them in the actual name of the items). I can understand that some things will have problems handling non-unique "parenthesised" names - like manually typed expressions for example. But for most things I don't see why it's not supported. It almost seems one is forced to give each item a unique name if you want to play with some of LW new tools, which is really sad, especially since LW doesn't come with ANY tool to do massrenaming. "The automatic parentheses" are really usefull and a great timesaver, support them!

Ztreem
03-21-2005, 04:23 PM
I Agree! It's very confusing and a very strange UI design decision, because it wasn't like this in LW 7.5 what I can recall.

Panikos
10-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Pitty that this problem isnt solved in LW8.5 :thumbsdow

Dodgy
10-10-2005, 03:39 PM
If you want mass renaming, look on my plugins page.

Panikos
10-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Thank you my Team17 mate :thumbsup:
(Greets to Rico)

Bog
10-11-2005, 05:48 PM
especially since LW doesn't come with ANY tool to do massrenaming.

Actually, I have to say here that LightWave Scene Files are in a plain ASCII file format, and doing a rename on items in a scene is a trivial job with Notepad.

I still consider a good text processor an invaluable companion to LightWave.

(Notepad isn't one - just sayin')

Dodgy
10-11-2005, 06:42 PM
I have to agree that there should be a better renamer... So I wrote one :) I hate going out of a package to do something like this!

evenflcw
10-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Imho, renaming isn't even the issue. Renaming is the workaround. The issue is that NT is showing poor support for their own naming scheme of using parentheses whenever there are more than one instance of the same name. It was always so for the Motion Mixer (can't handle simular names), it is so for the Bone Tools (considers the parentheses part of the name when renaming) and now it is also so for the Light Properties panel (lights with same name can no longer be distinguished from oneanother)!

It is disturbing to see NT act so unaware and nonchalant about their own software! The automatic parentheses is a supereffective function. If it is not supported throughout the application, people can't rely on it. If they can't rely on it they'll feel forced to rename every bloody f***ing item in the scene. It's a big loss in workflow efficiency! The greater the scene, the bigger the loss.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that people offer workarounds and write plugins/scripts that aid fellow LWavers. I just think the workarounds sortof started to overshadow the real issues this time around. I do not want NT to think they can take the easy way out and simply provide a native massrenaming function and remove the automatic parentheses. I want massrenaming, but I also want those parentheses!

Panikos
10-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Its rather unfortunate for many people to face problems and not mention them or not ask for improvements.
I submitted this feature request / correction after I got my LW8.0 and initially saw that.

I've put my self several times as opponent, (unfortunately), asking favours/features for everyone while not many people cared to join.

Unless there is mass request, we wont see improvements or development of new tools that make our lifes easier and we all satisfy with what is given ready.

Its sad to think, that while this naming convention was functional since I dont remember, someone had this "wise" idea to $%^& it, someone that most probably had never been under tight deadlines or never involved into everyday needs.

Also, this stupid little button for Lights on Light Properties Panel, you need a magnifying glass to find it and click it.

How long it takes to bring things back the way they used to be for so many years ?
:2guns:

Bog
10-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Fair comments.

Dodgy, this plugin's also going to make working with multiple Surface Effectors a doddle - cheers!