PDA

View Full Version : LCS-Layout Character Setup

lino.grandi
03-21-2005, 09:44 AM
I want to share with you the following video:

http://mio.discoremoto.virgilio.it/linograndi2/LCS_demo_01.avi

Is about an auto character rig I'm currently developing. It works completely in Layout, so you don't need to edit skelegons in Modeler.

You can move the reference joints in simmetry directly in Layout, and then use lscript to get a complete character rig.

You'll get more video soon.

Lino Grandi

moc
03-21-2005, 11:18 AM
wo...
Is the the link has problem?
or is it need some kind video codecs?
I had download it but can't play it.... and it just 241kb large...is it right?
thx.

lino.grandi
03-21-2005, 11:26 AM
You need the Camtasia Player:

http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/player.asp

Or simply the related codec:

www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codecdownload.asp

I'm sorry, I had to specify it!

Mdust
03-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Can I make a suggestion.

About 50% or better of the avi files I try to download on the internet wont play because of a codec problem. I know I am not alone. This includes many tutorials I would love to watch as well as video from people here on the forum.

I have an editing software with many codecs loaded on my system. So I am not in short supply of codecs.

I would have to say, if you are going to share something with a wide audience use a codec that is installed in most PCs or macs. A good rule of thumb is just use the .mov format. Quicktime pro is only 30 bucks (US) and this format is recognized cross platfrom. It is easy to get the free player and most people already have it installed. If you are making video you should have access to a way to convert to any of the common codecs. This is a problem that has been addressed by many of the software developers to fufill this demand on interned sharing. ( you may not even need to get quicktiome pro)

On the Avi side try something very common like .wmv, it has a high range of settings for quality just like .mov

For me it is to the point that I just loose interest in the person sharing the info when they don't take the effort to research what will be compatable widely.

So, please I'd love to see your video. Others do too.

Please convert it into a widely distributable format. You'll reach a larger audience and those people - who like me will just loose interest or just don't have the time to mess with installing another player or deal with another codec - will not just move on to the next item of interest.

You will benifit greatly.

Mdust

lino.grandi
03-21-2005, 01:20 PM
The software I use for screen capture uses the codec I gave the links of.
160 K of free code to download for having a new codec on your system doesn't appear to be a big problem to me.

A lot of video tutorials and video demos around use Camtasia codec.

I've made a 2 minutes video at a resolution of 692*508 pixels resulting in a 4 mbytes total size.

Many users prefer to download 160 kbyte for a codec to be able to see a 4 megabytes video than have to download huge files using "more standard" codecs.

I'm a Lightwave user, not a codec promoter....

Nemoid
03-21-2005, 01:52 PM
uhmmm. strano.. tento di scaricare, ma la pagina mi sparisce, forse per qualche impostazione anti popup ?? cmq fossi in te farei anche una versione Quicktime. se ben ottimizzata non pesante. :)

P.S. posta il link pure su www.lwita.com !! :)

WilliamVaughan
03-21-2005, 02:14 PM
this is interesting...do you have a site with more info?

lino.grandi
03-21-2005, 02:31 PM
this is interesting...do you have a site with more info?

Not at the moment...but I'll post some new videos soon.

Johnnyx
03-21-2005, 02:40 PM
..wow.. can't wait to see more! :)

toonafish
03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
wow, that looks very promising. When will it be available ??

lino.grandi
03-21-2005, 03:25 PM
wow, that looks very promising. When will it be available ??

Is currently in beta. First public release within 2 weeks.

StereoMike
03-21-2005, 03:50 PM
@ mdust:

techsmith codec is very common in this field. many tutorials come with this codec (I think even some from newtek).

Mike

lino.grandi
03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Ok....other two videos.

This shows the joint editing on a sample character:

http://mio.discoremoto.virgilio.it/linograndi2/LCS_demo_Dummy_setup

And the following how the lscript works:

http://mio.discoremoto.virgilio.it/linograndi2/LCS_demo_Rig_Creation

Any comment is welcome.

Lino

Mdust
03-21-2005, 05:22 PM
160 K of free code to download for having a new codec on your system doesn't appear to be a big problem to me.

I'm a Lightwave user, not a codec promoter....

I admire your difiance!

I'll bet you have the software to convert it too but you don't because you have something against other codecs.

Another codec rebel! That's cool man.

Have it your way, but do take my suggestion to heart on your own time if you feel the desire.

I'm genuinly interested in what you have going.

Mdust

Mdust
03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
@ mdust:

techsmith codec is very common in this field. many tutorials come with this codec (I think even some from newtek).

Mike

Nope.

I've downloaded and watched every one of them.

The only ones that are in another codec are on links to other sites that use this codec I am just going to have to get hip to.

Thanks for the info.

Mdust

Mdust
03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Cool stuff, man!

Now, if you'd just convert that codec, I could send the link to my mother.

That was a joke... that last part there... yea,

Anyway Great stuff man.

If it works well, I think it would be a hit.

Mdust

MikeMD
03-22-2005, 12:08 PM
wmv is your best bet to reach the most people ( version 8. )

Forget about quicktime. It is the same situation as with different codecs. A lot of people don't have quicktime and want to avoid it unless it's absolutely required by some of their apps.

Another ( actually best option ) is to use Flash encoded with sorenson Squeeze, but you may not want to pay $100 for the full version of sorenson for flash. That would ensure that pretty much everybody could see your movies. No need for any other plugins, players, codecs. Plays right in the flash player and file size/quality is comparable to wmv.

But, you may have a point if you can get same quality at significantly lower file sizes by using camtasia.

Mdust
03-22-2005, 01:12 PM
wmv is your best bet to reach the most people ( version 8. )

Forget about quicktime. It is the same situation as with different codecs. A lot of people don't have quicktime and want to avoid it unless it's absolutely required by some of their apps.

Another ( actually best option ) is to use Flash encoded with sorenson Squeeze, but you may not want to pay $100 for the full version of sorenson for flash. That would ensure that pretty much everybody could see your movies. No need for any other plugins, players, codecs. Plays right in the flash player and file size/quality is comparable to wmv.

But, you may have a point if you can get same quality at significantly lower file sizes by using camtasia.

On the Avi side try something very common like .wmv, it has a high range of settings for quality just like .mov

Hey thanks for sheding some light on this subject.

If you would, I am going to make another post on this subject because I think it really is something to be said - more on that later.

As to flash, Its growing but I don't think it is there yet. Don't get me wrong it's out there, but not on every site and you still have to download the player - as you do with others but more on that later.

Let this thread continue for Linos great achievement.

Pick it up if you will on the other thread.

Mdust

Karmacop
03-22-2005, 11:16 PM
WMV is a great codec if you're on windows, but not so good on other platforms. It's really just the opposite of quicktime. Your best bet is probably mpeg2.

Silkrooster
03-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Actually you will find all video's created by Dan Ablan and Splinegod use Camtasia. They use TSCC codec for avi's and EnSharpen codec for Quicktime.
SplineGod maybe using a generic codec(meaning included with quicktime) as I don't remember having to download any with his video's, same with Proton. BTW wmv is not a codec for avi, they are two seperate file formats. Each have their own codecs, the lastest one for wmv is version 9.Each format has good and bad points about them, as for me I am still up in the air deciding which is best. Probably will never come to a conclusion.
Silk

lino.grandi
03-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Please discuss about codec on the related thread.

I need feedback about my plug-in.

Mdust
03-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Please discuss about codec on the related thread.

I need feedback about my plug-in.

Here, here,

Sorry for starting up a whole thing here Lino.

As to your plugin:

Lino, from what I saw in the video it looks pretty cool. I think that the idea of creating a generic - if you will - plugin for character set up is a brilliant idea. I really do think there is a trend going more in the direction of usability. Getting animators off of rigging and onto animating is a worthy venture.

Can you talk a little about its versatility?

How many different set ups can you create with it. It looked like it was something that you could configure as needed. Is this so?

Mdust

UnCommonGrafx
03-23-2005, 05:27 AM
I bet most are like me: if it's a zipped up movie, it's not the most trusted.

I won't bother with a movie I have to 'go through hoops' to watch.

If you want folks to comment on your plug based on the movie, make it directly accessible.
I've been waiting for comments from those that did watch it, though, and only Proton seems to have checked it out.

Mdust
03-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I bet most are like me: if it's a zipped up movie, it's not the most trusted.

I won't bother with a movie I have to 'go through hoops' to watch.

If you want folks to comment on your plug based on the movie, make it directly accessible.
I've been waiting for comments from those that did watch it, though, and only Proton seems to have checked it out.

You and me on the same page, but I checked it out anyway, look at the post above yours and one or two others did as well. The codec really is easy to download. I highly recomend it.

To Lino:

But Lino, baby, c'mon, get with the program man!

Admit it, your plugin is targeted to wide ease of use is it not?

Check out the other post on codecs. If you feel made wrong, please accept my appology, but put your marketing hat on man and get over it. Think of it as costomer response, like a survey. Look at the feedback you are getting. That was my genuine initial feedback. And what did you do? You came back with defiance. That's all cool It's YOUR plugin. It's YOUR hours spent. BUt I was assuming you wanted to get some kind of recompense and - that was my feed back.

It is ture there are a large number of people using this codec - a pretty nice one in fact. But being good is not being popular.

Feedback on your plugin, OK. You got it.

Some people would like you to make it more accessable.

There's part of your feedback man, go with it!

Mdust

EDIT: C'mom man look, I'll make you a deal. IF you covert this into a codec my mother can watch, I'll learn some Italian - even how to type it too.

Is it a deal?

cresshead
03-23-2005, 01:02 PM
hi looks interesting...i'm looking forward to you being offered a better place to host your avi's in the near future as they are quite a chore to get ahold of with a italian written website that doesn't support "save target as" but instead opens the avi and places a copy in the internet temp folder!...sorry to have a moan..just thinking that such things may put people off from downloading...i wonder if newtek or some kind soul with some spare bandwith wuld help you out here as it will help you promote this rather cool rigger by the looks of it...i like the idea of the rigger being only in layout...nice one...any idea of the cost or if it will work with multiple characters and motion mixer as well?

looking toward it's release and maybe a demo version too.

thanks

steve g

Nemoid
03-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Lino, maybe your movies could be hosted by our www.lwita.com website in the home page ? we would be honored of this
also a good move could be to convert them to QT or .avi files.

be free to send me a pm here or on Lwita if you agree on my idea

lino.grandi
03-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Lino, maybe your movies could be hosted by our www.lwita.com website in the home page ? we would be honored of this
also a good move could be to convert them to QT or .avi files.

be free to send me a pm here or on Lwita if you agree on my idea

Thank you very much for your hosting offering. I'm really pleased to accept your help.

You'll get more information about the LCS plug-in very soon!

lino.grandi
03-23-2005, 04:49 PM
hi looks interesting...i'm looking forward to you being offered a better place to host your avi's in the near future as they are quite a chore to get ahold of with a italian written website that doesn't support "save target as" but instead opens the avi and places a copy in the internet temp folder!...sorry to have a moan..just thinking that such things may put people off from downloading...i wonder if newtek or some kind soul with some spare bandwith wuld help you out here as it will help you promote this rather cool rigger by the looks of it...i like the idea of the rigger being only in layout...nice one...any idea of the cost or if it will work with multiple characters and motion mixer as well?

looking toward it's release and maybe a demo version too.

thanks

steve g

You're absolutely right about the present hosting. I apologize for the actual situation, and try to solve it as soon as possible.

I don't know if the plug-in is going to have a cost...I'd like to offer it to the Lightwave community. If I'll decide to make it "commercial", it will be at a very low cost.

What do you mean for "working on multiple characters"?

You'll be able to use Motion Mixer, using the same animation clip on different biped characters. Of course is possible to use IKBooster pose/motion copying/saving/loading functions.

I'll give you more information not only on this forum but even using a web site! ;)

Please be patient (for my bed english too).

Lino Grandi

Silkrooster
03-24-2005, 12:39 AM
I tried to view the file, but I only know english. So my guessing doesn't help much. It looked the a couple of video's were off line, but them I am guessing.
Perhaps you could provide an english page as well. I think that would help you the most. I am looking forward to seeing your video.
Please disregard if this has already been taken care of.
Silk

Mdust
03-24-2005, 02:10 AM
Hey, rooster

http://mio.discoremoto.virgilio.it/linograndi2/LCS_demo_Rig_Creation

Click on this this link and then click OK at the bottom, it will take you to the where the videos are now

m

foghat
04-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Any news? This looks very nice!

lino.grandi
04-12-2005, 12:37 AM
There's a new link:

http://www.lwita.com/lwers/lcs/

Features:

- complete biped rig structure;
- ik chains on arms and legs;
- root, pelvis,spine and shoulders controls;
- neck,head,eyes controls;
- fingers controls;
- auto user-defined weights assignement;
- full compatibility with IK-Booster pose/motion editing system (clips can be exchanged between characters);
- all on-character bones control;
- additional lscipt for hiding/showing controls and skeletral structure.
- inverse foot;

Future Improvements:

- complete quadruped rig structure;
- slider controls for fixed rotation hands;
- IK/FK arms blending slider controls;
- additional anchor bones definition controllers for no-weight maps models;
- addition weight map definition methods and options;
- Motion Mixer Over-Control system.

Nemoid
04-12-2005, 08:56 AM
very proud to host these new movies, Lino! :)

DM67
04-13-2005, 04:18 PM
grande Lino,
I can't wait to see other update ;)

Tony

Nemoid
04-13-2005, 11:48 PM
hehehe
Madonna used to say: Italians do it better. :)