PDA

View Full Version : controlling a light group?

monfoodoo
03-20-2005, 07:07 PM
how can i control a group of lights(luxigons). (intensity)etc,as one?6 lights as one for example? i tried parenting but i'm not getting it. global is not what i want since there is 3 sets of 6lights. scott

MonroePoteet
03-22-2005, 10:15 AM
I don't know if this will work with Luxigons, but with a set of Lights, you could create a Null object, called "LightGroup1_Controller" perhaps. Then, apply an Envelope to each of the Light's intensity setting, where the Envelope is defined in terms of an expression. The test I did used the expression called "Group1_Intensity", and used the Y position of the LightGroup1_Controller as its value.

So, the steps are:

1) Create a NULL object, name it something like "LightGroup1_Controller"
2) On one of your Lights, press the "E" button next to Intensity
3) At the bottom of the Graph Editor, select the "Expression" tab
4) Press the "New" button to create a new expression
5) Name the expression something like "Group1_Intensity"
6) In the value of the expression, type in [LightGroup1_Controller.Position.Y], including the brackets and the exact capitalization (the Expression parser is very unforgiving!). If you named your controller something other than "LightGroup1_Controller", substitute the approprate name.
7) Press the "Validate" button to make sure you've got the expression typed in correctly.
8) Make sure the "Intensity" channel is selected in the left window, and press "Apply". This applies the Envelope to the channel.
9) Go through each of your Lights, pressing the "E" button on Intensity, and selecting "Apply" to apply the envelope.

If you do these steps correctly, the Intensity of your group of lights will change with the Y value of your controller object.

mTp

monfoodoo
03-22-2005, 11:19 AM
thanks!i'll give it a try. scott